4 line trainer vs. 3 line trainer

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Driller

4 line trainer vs. 3 line trainer

Post by Driller »

For all of you who have used a trainer kite. What would be the benefit to using a 4 line trainer vs. a 2 or 3 line? My kite is a HQ Rush IV pro. It has two lines and one safety line, so if I need to let go of the bar it will de power and fall. To launch, I also use the 3rd line.
A 4 line trainer like the Ocean rodeo has a harness and it is depowerable. Is it really that much more important to have the depower? I can use a leash with my 3 line kite, and hook it into my harness to get the feel of being pulled from the waist if needed.
With the kite I have I can get a feel of the power zone, and the wind window. Just not sure what I might be missing.

Cheers!
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

Your trainer kite is perfectly fine. Save your money for the "big" kites
Aboba

Post by Aboba »

I owned a Hydra HQ 300 (3 Line)
I now own a 2m OR Rise (4 line)

Having flown all three, plus the kites while I was taking lessons.

The hardest thing to adjust to on the 4 line actual kite was the sheeting and how it impacts control of the kite. Less power = Less steering, if you want to steer the kite, you need to power up first.

I really like my 2m Rise, it still gives that same feeling. The biggest difference between that and the bigger kite is the speed it moves/turns. It's much more zippy, and you have to make sure you don't over steer it.

The rise though is not easy to launch/land without a partner, just like a fullsize kite. It was probably a good idea for me to start with the Hydra though, the rise would probably have been too much without someone walking me through what I needed to do.