Maui east?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
skywalker

Maui east?

Post by skywalker »

Hey Maui veterans

I'm contemplating a trip in April. I would like to stay away from cities (east side?) and close to lush jungle/ farmers markets and fisherman selling tuna etc. I see some good vacation rental by owner spots.

Three questions:

Has anybody kited the east side?

Where is the best place to stay thats got some of that old hawaii charm?

Where are good places to get fresh tuna, and fresh fruit?

Thanks all

Luke
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I have completed my first Maui tour of duty....which I hope will be the start of many more. Paradise. I am far from a veteran, but here's a few thoughts from my trip.

Very pleasantly surprised that Maui was more country and laid back than I pictured it. Kauai was always our spot and I had an image that Maui was condos and old folks. It is, but just a small part of it....don't have to go far to be in super mellow ville.

We stayed in North Kihei ... 2nd pleasant surprise of the trip was SUPable waves most days right in front of condo, and kiteable wind most days too. Kiteable waves 2 days was a bonus. Turns out, kihei was windier than north shore on many trade wind days -- due to island venturi effect, I have since read.

South kihei had the super touristy mazatlan style vibe I was glad to avoid.

Paia area is busy, but would be great....surf in the am, kite in the pm. Tofino-ish vibe. No shortage of people though.

Hana is out there and laid back....but rainy and rocky unfriendly coast.

Honoloa has amazing snorkelling and surfing, and I heard from a friend that Kahana (west side) looked very kiteable on a day that Kanaha was marginal.

South west shore is lava, seems to be hippie types camping/squatting, not very friendly ocean terrain though.

We didn't check out east side, sorry.

Ahi tuna chunks in the supermarket.....pure gold. And a dozen kinds of Poke (marinated sushi bits, more or less)....unreal.

We flew Allegiant cheap out of Bellingham....rinky dink airline for sure, but was definitely tolerable for the price IMHO.

Paradise! Hope there's still a little swell left for you in April.

That doesn't answer any of your questions, so probably doesn't help you....if not, sorry for the ramble.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

juandesooka wrote: That doesn't answer any of your questions, so probably doesn't help you....if not, sorry for the ramble.
Perfect advice! looks like I can't go wrong. Stoked about the tuna, wind and waves. Thanks Juan!

edited bc I can't spell
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

skywalker wrote:
Perfect advice! looks like I can't go wrong. Stoked about the tuna, wind and waves. Thanks Juan!
And I think that's the best advice of all ... pretty much can't go wrong. As a long time surfer turned wind chaser ... I was simply blown away by the fun potential. Running around like a rabid mouse, gorging on the action ... pretty much needed a vacation from my vacation. Stoked for you!

Btw, MartyD gave me the hookup for car rental, guy who will rent sups/surfboards/kiteboards (plus has a place for rent in Wailuku, by airport), and a fishing charter. PM me if you want the contacts.
jhans

Post by jhans »

Mana foods in Paia was one of my favorite stops for fresh fruit and veg, good food and an amazing wall of chocolate bars. There is a restaurant close called the Paia Fish House and it is super tasty and well priced local food. I've heard Hana can be a little sketchy at times so just be sure to lock up out there and keep the valuables out of sight. Haiku has/had a sushi bar that did live music once in a while. Definitely more of a local feeling in there.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

The east side is kitable but very unfriendly(lava rock and cliffs) beaches and usually onshore wind. It rains there a LOT... like every day. North/eastshores are for Hippies/wind and wave chasers, and the south/westshores are for rich/old folks. Fresh tuna and fruit are available everywhere. The place I stayed is 2 mins from the grocery store, 5 mins from and surfbreak and golf course, and 10 mins from kitebeach. Plenty of Aloha at Todds place!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

juandesooka wrote:
Running around like a rabid mouse, gorging on the action ...

Btw, MartyD gave me the hookup for car rental, guy who will rent sups/surfboards/kiteboards
Sweet, thanks for the image. I can't wait till I get into rabid mouse mode. (Had a simliar frothing at mouth experience in oahu)

Marty- awesome advice. I'll be sure to send your hookups a shout.