Port Authority and Kiting

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
kitesurferdale

Port Authority and Kiting

Post by kitesurferdale »

So I will start this thread off with the following statement

"It was me and I learned a few things today"

the situation was the following,

A commercial boat had just rounded the end of the big pier and was approaching the harbor where they dock. I had come in upwind of the boat at what I felt was a safe and comfortable distance upwind of the boat and passed him knowing that I could get ahead turn around and head out down wind of him...all safe and all good, Apparently not all good. When I did this I felt I had plenty of lead space as to not endanger anything or anyone but to the boat operator and the Port Authority Manager who was watching from the pier I had committed a grievous boating infraction. When I and the other kiters were back on the pier the Manager approached us (not knowing which one of us did the dastardly deed and I didn't know I was the dastardly dude) quite upset. He informed us of the infraction and a number of other facts, I became aware after a period of time in conversation with others that I was the offending person.

So here is what I came away with from this experience and conversation with the harbor master/other kiters.

1. the least maneuverable vehicle has the right of way.
2. Never cross the bow of a boat unless you have a TON of distance between you as it is a Marine law
3. The Port Alberni pier is NOT a public pier but rather the property of the port authority and as such we are able to use it at their grace.
4. the port authority is not a publicly funded government entity, therefore us "taxpayers" really have no right to be there, only at the courtesy of the Port Authority

In the conversation between the Manager and the other kiters present it was agreed that some general guidelines for the safe use of the area should be posted to help educate and make clear to those wishing to use the area, to create a a better understanding of kiting and its risks and the needs of the harbor as it is a "working" harbor.

I know by posting this I am opening myself up to criticism, but am the first to admit I guess I was in the wrong even though I did not realize at the time the infraction I was committing, which is the real reason for the post and the fact that I do not wish for others to do the same and really piss off the Manager and cause further tension/conflict. I am also making the admission so that those others that were kiting there today do not take any flak for my mistake.

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Good on ya for posting this Dale. You should write up a few sentences to add to the wiki for HQ. I added a few points after kiting there last summer -- the main one being don't rig too small if it means risk of not being able to stay upwind. I was in the midst of successfully self rescuing to the "beach" downwind, but then the harbour master came and gave me a ride back after being alerted by a tourist. Damn....'cause I didn't want to be "that guy" either.

That place is a gem and keeping access open is crucial! If it means taking a collection towards a permanent sign, I'd pitch in. Even just for my 1 week in July when the family visits there.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

The Port Authority Manager said they are going to be putting up a notice board anyways at the ramp to "inform" the public of various things so all that would be needed is a nice poster made up from (in my mind anyways) those that are familiar with the area stating some guidelines appropriate to the area and its challenges/risks etc
windsurf247

port authority

Post by windsurf247 »

UNfortunately Dale, the POrt Authority think they own the waterfront here and are a bit nervous that new recreational user groups are starting to use the same space.

To quote a friend of mine who's a manager there, "we don't really know how to handle you guys. We've never had to deal with anything like this before." He also said the harbour master can be "a bit difficult to deal with".

My feeling is that we're going to use the water one way or the other so they might as well put some energy into figuring it out.

Don't sweat it Dale. It was just a matter of time before something happened that got them riled up. Good on ya for fessing up :lol:

More reason to get Canal Beach set up with a proper kite launch 8)
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

same thing could be said for Kook St.. some big boats come in real close and are moving faster than you think... if you bail, cut off, or get too close and cause a foul its serious shit!
I had the police boat out watching me off Ogden Point on Saturday when a big cruise ship was pulling out...
dangerdane

Post by dangerdane »

Thanks for the post and your honesty KSD. I'll be sure and be careful when I make it up there this year. How was your sesh otherwise?
JL

Post by JL »

:shock: Great post Dale . The http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/ are the 'rules' for mariners. The Harbour Master in my opinion is trying to bully the sailors into keeping a safe distance from commercial operators. I suggest that the kiting & windsurfing (perhaps even 'sup'ers) community meet & come up with some practical guidelines to cooperate with the other users of the harbour. Complaints from commercial operators / Harbour Master / concerned citizens could lead to the harbour being closed to recreational sailors / paddlers. :roll: In particular http://www.stormy.ca/marine/colregs/rule9.htm may be a prominent consideration ...
Thermals are good.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

abetanzo wrote: when a big cruise ship was pulling out...
There are so many reasons not to go anywhere near the harbor. For starters, it's illegal to sail in the harbor. You must be under engine power.

Also Sea planes have priorty during landing and take off, and they are often low at the harbor. You don't want to interfere with a passenger plane, and all the lives it's carrying.

also, big ships can cause wind shadows that will stretch for a long distance. You might have missed the big ship, but the wind shadow could still get you and then you're in trouble.

Personally I stop before ogden point. Too much going on over there for this string monkey.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
JL

Post by JL »

Dale is referring to Port Alberni Luke :?
Thermals are good.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

ooooooohhhhhhhhh

Dale would you mind kiting over in the Victoria harbor so I can rant about it?
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Thank you JL for the link! that is a bit of reading :shock: lol

The sesh was great otherwise Dane, good, strong and steady winds for some good lifts!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

It appears there is a position for a harbor master here in Port Alberni available as there is an ad in the paper for it...maybe one of you Savey Marine law knowledgeable dudes or dudettes could get it and make this harbor even more friendly for watersport enthusiast
JL

Post by JL »

Last edited by JL on Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

http://www.portalberniportauthority.ca/ ... osting.pdf

lol JL we must have posted the job listing at the same time
JL

Post by JL »

It doesn't sound much more complicated than running a camp ground infested with kiters & windsurfers Dale :P
Thermals are good.