1st Annual New Years Day Sail-2-gether

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

1st Annual New Years Day Sail-2-gether

Post by Bobson »

:D I'm looking to see who would be interested in getting together to sail on days that it's blowing under 25 kts. Something like Formula/Slalom cruising, anything floaty and fun. There are lots of people out when the wind is EPIC but this is more geared towards anyone just doing some fun races/cruizing. Nothing too serious, more just windaddicts sailing together enjoying the wind getting their fixes. Starting right away but probably more people coming out of hibernation in the spring when it warms up. Evenings and/or weekends hopefully planned a day or two in advance, having some fun races around some buoys/markers or small islands wherever there is wind. Reply to this thread or email me directly at if you would be interested and I will contact you to confirm numbers, times, equipment and availability of our friend the WIND. This website is a good medium to get together and let people know dates and times I/we are going out. Sailing with others is preferred to be able to go farther than by myself for safety reasons and friendliness. Kiters are definitely included as kiting is pretty cool(but don't quote me on that....HA, HA!) . I would also like to organize some fun races this summer at Nitnat since the WIRED event didn't happen this past summer and I'm don't think the Summer Slalom Series got off the ground either. For example, It would be more of just informing someone posting on this Website that they will be sailing at Nitnat on a specific day(s) and if anyone else wants to come there is a good possibility of others to race against. Nothing as organized as WIRED but if there are a couple of people interested then we could get some fun prizes and put out some buoys, somewhat close to shore and away from in front of the beach and just go and have some fun!! :D

Later DOODS! 8)
Last edited by Bobson on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigD

dood

Post by BigD »

Bobson dood I'm in whenever I'm not working and the wind is blowing..which is pretty much on weekends these days but come spring I'll be out whenever it is windy(as in 10knots+).

Dallas
Cam
Website Donor
Website Donor

Fun Race

Post by Cam »

Count me in if you ever decide to try Bobson. I don't have a formula board but I'd be happy to be on a start line or straight line for a cruise point.

There are several Victoria Sailors on the Windsurfng Canada mailing list but nobody seemed interested in going to Vancouver this time of year for the fleets. (All 3 days of the BC Fleets in Oct didn't produce more than 4 knots at the selected sites.) I can send out a notice if you pic a day and place with a good forecast that's not too cold..

Mark Sudul, S. Huthison, Paul B.. they are busy but one never knows if the day looks sweet, they may come and join.

Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

No kidding eh, last year we really dropped the ball on the racing thingy. I guess I should have picked it up after Betts had another kid. Sudal (Tweezer) and I would be into big gear weekend sailing with anyone any time its between 10 and 25 knotts. 721-2405.

Dunkinguy, DWD and I are heading up to long beach this weekend. We are hoping for a little wave action. Lets hope this wind continues.

Steve
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

yea lets see you ride that garage door in 44kts fancygear steve!
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Formula boards don't bottom turn all that well.
windsurf247

Bobson racing

Post by windsurf247 »

Hey Bobson.
I'm in for sure. My availability is somewhat limited but keep me posted anyways.
On another note, you'll be happy to hear that I taught my little girl how to say "dude". She's almost got the shaka down too! 8)
You're influencing the next generation DOOD.
Rob
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Bobson »

:D I'm going to start organizing the 1st annual 'HOLIDAY FUN SAIL' for hopefully either Boxing Day or New Years day as most people will have these days off. I can four-sea a problem being that it's a family time of the year but bringing the families isn't out of the question to meet/greet others in the windsurf community. I was thinking either Esquimalt Lagoon or Island View for all abilities to be able to take part as these are both pretty safe launches unless the HATE WINDS are blowing. Everything obviously depends on the wind so if there is no wind at IV/Lagoon and there is wind at Kook St. then that'll be the place. My 1st priority is safety 2nd priority is for the most people to be able to take part as possible. 10-20kts would be best but I guess we'll see what the big momma has in store for us. By organizing I mean I will help people find gear if needed(buy/borrow/lend) and have a hot drink/food and a course set(of some sort) if people want to race. If I can get a support boat to come along, that would be great, if not I'll get JL to have his friends at the Coast Guard ready(ha! sorry JL, you must have almost 1 year of Coast Guard free sailing now eh?!?). I'm sure the buddy system will be in effect so we sail with someone the same approxiate speed. Anyone from North of the Malahat would be more than welcome and maybe we can work out some carpooling..?? I'll update this thread when I have more information available. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated and welcomed. This is all about having fun and meeting other windsurfers/kitesurfers as sailing with others is more fun and much safer than sailing solo. There will be prizes for some different catagories(best wipeout/worse dressed/fastest/slowest/avatar closest to real person...HA!) Mostly just a fun event. If it works out so I'm the only one out there like last New Years day then that's Okay too as I will win my own prizes...not soo bad!
:D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

dinner/potluck?

Post by KUS »

I don't have anything floaty (unless I inflate my drysuit again...) but I can flip a burger, catch a couple of crabs and have a big house with a hot tub :P ...maybe I should ask my wife first, hmmm :shock: .

Anyhow, more info as it gets closer I guess. I'd be into the bring the family along thing for something like this. Boxing day might be a good time but had wicked winds :twisted: then last year, we'll have to see. Cheers.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
wreckless rick

Fun races

Post by wreckless rick »

Great idea Bobson. Count us in. Had alot of fun Oct 3rd ......Turkey Classic at Nitinat...... Don't have formula boards but hope to get one in the future. Could help set up race course if needed and should have some floats for course markers. Boxing Day or New Years Day sailing sounds like a good way to burn off some turkey! An outdoor or house BBQ would be good for a social gathering for sailors and non sailors to meet. Who knows maybe unwanted presents could be recycled into race prizes. Keep us posted.

See you lata Doood
Rick and Pat
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Racing/Cruizing

Post by Bobson »

Hey Rick, if you're thinking seriously about getting a Formula board in the future, I'm thinking of upgrading my Formula gear to newer models so let me know as I'll probably upgrade before Xmas. Both board and sail(2001 Starboard 175 and 2003 NX2 Sailworks 9.0m with Speedstick mast and HPL Carbon Boom) :P
~ pimp hand ~

Re: Racing/Cruizing

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

Bobson wrote:Hey Rick, if you're thinking seriously about getting a Formula board in the future, I'm thinking of upgrading my Formula gear to newer models so let me know as I'll probably upgrade before Xmas. Both board and sail(2001 Starboard 175 and 2003 NX2 Sailworks 9.0m with Speedstick mast and HPL Carbon Boom) :P
Bobson you gearhead! ... you will need a cube van soon for all your tech :mrgreen:
Wreckless Rick

Bobson board

Post by Wreckless Rick »

Hey Bobson,
Call me at 727-6673. I Would like to look at your formula board and rig if you can give me a price.

See you lata Doood
TURTLE

Looking for Safety in Numbers

Post by TURTLE »

Wreckless Rick - How is the Subaru? In pieces yet? I hope it is working out for you. Thank-you for the help looking at that van. I am very happy having purchased the van I bought.

Bobson et. all - I am free after 3. I intend to have all the equipment in the back of the van permanently ready to go at a moments notice.

I don't have employment the week prior to Xmas so if anyone is interested in company windsurfing at 14 knts and over anytime of the day give me a call.

250 709 - 5541 - for another on the water.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Holiday-fun-sail

Post by Bobson »

Tentative dates for this event will most likely be one of the following: Jan 1st, 2nd or 3rd(Sat,Sun,Mon) as most people will have these days off and hopefully we'll find wind somewhere(IV/Esq/Willow)that has rigging space and possible BBQ/social space for afterwards. :P

Please let me know if you are interested in attending the sail and also the social event afterwards. Possibly a beach/house BBQ afterwards. I'm still working on the details. Any :idea: are welcome.

DOODS(male and female) are welcome, yes that includes windsurfers and kiters!! HA! :D