WINDFEST PLANNING SESSION **** Wed June 18th

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

skywalker

WINDFEST PLANNING SESSION **** Wed June 18th

Post by skywalker »

WINDFEST PLANNING SESSION!

As Vancouver Island's first IKA sanctioned event, we need LOTS of community support.

OH and did I mentioned the TWINTIP Canadian Racing Championships?

That's right. Jumping and racing on the same course. Say whaaaaaaa?

First time anyone's done that. YOU COULD BE the Canadian Twin Tip Racing Champion, and earn yourself 20 IKA qualifier points. Dang. That trophy would look good on the wall. Eh?

So if you're interested in the race, the FREESTYLE DIVISIONS, have questions, want to help, or want more divisions included in the race heres the deets:

Wednesday June 18th at the (you guessed it) Royal Victoria Yacht Club. 6:00pm- 8:00pm

(I picked the lowest wind day...it's 10 knots offshore. You can make it)

http://windfest.ca
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey Luke. This looks like a fun event! Can you give any more specifics about:

'STRAPLESS: a Judged event that will incorporate speed and freestyle'

I'm just wondering about the Speed part?

Thanks.
curses - foiled again!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Hey Pasta

I'd like your input on this. Can you make it? I know it's a long drive for you.

Thinking about a "Out and back" reaching course, followed by a slalom section closer to shore where the transitions and tricks will be graded.

I would suggest no restrictions in terms of putting them through a course with marks, but rather an area to perform near the beach but in the wind, as strapless riders are usually just working on tricks only and not speed. Could be a time limit like 15 min. All riders could be together as well. Just look at 2 dog and where and how he is riding. In order to pick a wave to jump off of you don't want to be thinking of rounding marks. ??make sense?
curses - foiled again!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Hey Folks

I could really use a hand, if anyone is able to come meet for a bit. Like 1 hour to talk about windfest.

KUS, you mentioned you wanted Windsurfing heats, SUP races, Im down but I need a hand.

So please try and make it to the RVYC this Wednesday from 6-7:30.

There is a BBQ at the RVYC after, it's real cheap. Like 10 bucks for a nice dinner.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

skywalker wrote:KUS, you mentioned you wanted Windsurfing heats, SUP races, Im down but I need a hand.

So please try and make it to the RVYC this Wednesday from 6-7:30.
I am on holidays so won't be in town.

I am not a SUP-er but perhaps someone from the recent China/Canal beach event could put a heat together, suggest similar for windsurfing just use the same marks as for kites....but keep it simple. Open sign up, no restrictions, just a fun couple of races :?:
I have absolutely no experience with racing or these events, I just think keeping a multi sport approach is more inclusive for the groups and in the spirit of windfest...or just call it kitefest. I am happy to participate in a race just for fun....as long as someone tells me when and where and I will pay my entry fee if there IS one 8) ....if I happen to be there. I think it could be THAT simple.
Organizing these events is a lot of work if you try to follow all kinds of guidelines and usually thankless but perhaps a lesser restrictive and looser format would make things a lot easier to handle. Maybe Winddude armed with a clipboard and binocs could do a beach start, watch to make sure everyone rounds the marks properly and hand out a beer for the winner....same for a beachside freestyle event on the point while sitting on a cooler full of suds.....anything more would be "work".

I am happy to dig up and donate some small prizes for the windsurfing group winners and pass them along to the clipboard guy :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hey Skywalker... no offence or anything.. but does the association (with) and holding meetings at the RVYC really fit with the demographic of these sports? That alone might be hindering your progress. I could be wrong, but just a thought.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Windfest has received IKA recognition as a National Championship, and that wouldn’t have been possible without the RVYC. The club is great to work with, give us all kinds of resources. They (we) are just a bunch of chill sailors.

The RVYC made the downwinder last year possible. And the fundraiser for RD. And Steves fundraiser. And a couple kite races off cook. That’s a lot of support.

As well, The Saint Francis Yacht Club, the Seattle Yacht Club and the Royal Nova Scotian are all running kite races. Infact kite racing was pretty much invented at the St. Francis Yacht Club.

I’m not driving a gap, so much as bringing two sides of the same group together. Kiteboarders ARE sailors, after all.

KUS- I like your ideas. I just need a hand getting them happen. Do you know someone who would be willing to help me organize those races? I imagine the SUP race would have to be an early AM thing. Like 9am? Before the wind.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

RVYC isn't as hoity-toity as some might think.
I'm not a member, but having been to some of their events I would certainly consider joining with the direction they're headed. They're just a bunch of wind junkies who are more organised, with better facilties, and more money. (and a bar :o )
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I'm sure back in the 80s when windsurfers were on that left wing the yacht clubs weren't the same as they are now!

I joined the RYVC because I love being on the water in a boat..The club offered me a place to fix my boat and hoist it with the crane. Then all the regattas and racing has been an extra that you can choose to participate in.

The organized events put on by the club are no better than what Skywalker is doing. Putting out a NOR and Sailing Instructions are the regulations but as for organizing its all half assed... most regatta's barely get going until the day when a few people step up to volunteer. Swiftsure needs about 100 or more volunteers to get it going!

what we need is a group of volunteers!

I'm gona help as much as possible but can't make it tonight as I'm leaving for Vancouver to fly out to the fucking Yukon for a wedding... sorry Luke.

I'm trying to get some strapless competition rules from Bryan Lake aka Bernie - arguably the best strapless rider, as well as racer, as well I'll talk to Layne Mullard.
curses - foiled again!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Hey that's a good idea. If we just nail down a format, then we're good. And if the format comes from someone else, we can blame them if people don't like it. :lol:

from Layne:
I would run it exactly as a surf competition if you have good waves. Like legitimate point break. 2 scored waves out of 10 attempts. Or freestyle mix so count 2 waves per heat then top 2 tricks per person adds up to 10. 5 points possible for each. The whole comp is better to be ran head to head.

however we don't have waves, just chop. But this could work. And we can Blame Layne.
curses - foiled again!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

That was sort of my thinking on the race part of things. No waves, then maybe a timed portion?

Could also do flat water comp. Points for spray, transitions, style etc.

yes. Transitions, jumps and overall style. An Expression Session Strapless style.
curses - foiled again!