Droning on at Nitinaht

Post links to cool kiteboarding or windsurfing sites with photos, videos or technique.
heffe222

Droning on at Nitinaht

Post by heffe222 »

Alright, not 'high' art, but a new view from on high and some windsurfing action, at Nitinaht Lake recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBM9ulF ... e=youtu.be
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

very nice, handles the wind pretty good!
any consequence if it falls in the water?
heffe222

Droning on at Nitinaht

Post by heffe222 »

If it falls in the water, even if it could be recovered, it would probably be a total loss. The drone is basically a flying computer, and the camera is without it's waterproof case when mounted in the gimbal unit. Don't want to twitch the controls the wrong way over water!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

fantastic! It's good to see someone local using this. it seems to be a revolution in inexpensive aerial photography. Were you also at Nimpkish flying as there was one there too 2 weeks ago? How many knots do you think the rig can handle? SUPER COOL!!
curses - foiled again!
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

nice flying, very brave and way 2 go. What a nice place. I suppose the kiters are accustomed but the aerial view is breathtaking.
I recently lost a thankfully less expensive model in a large tree. It's still there.
heffe222

Droning on at Nitinaht

Post by heffe222 »

I did some filming up at Nimpkish, just to get acquainted with flying over water in wind, so that was probably me you saw. Didn't get any sailing shots in, though. The drone is GPS stabilized when the operator releases the controls and it can hover and hold position in probably up to 20 - 25 knots of wind. Once the operator resumes controlling it, course and speed adjustments need to be made to compensate for wind drift. I think the drone's maximum speed is around 30 knots, so it will keep up with most sailors. A transmitter can be added to the drone that links with the GoPro and allows the operator to 'see' what the camera sees in real time, which really helps with controls when the drone is far away. Range is about 1000' in any direction, and radio control is line of sight.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

WOW :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Please do MORE :!: :!: :!:
JL

Post by JL »

Awesome. $ :?:
Thermals are good.
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

Very cool, some really nice shots. It is amazing what can be done with the new teck. Looking forward to the movies you will be making
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

so if you are remote piloting the drove and a gust seems to be knocking it out of control can you just let the controls go and the drone will recover on it's own?
curses - foiled again!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Very cool Geoff :!: Deb from Aus was using one at Flo but she indicated 22-25 was the limit for hers to fly. What an awesome teaching tool if you could combine sailor viewing on the water with video review later and headset communication with the sailor. I could see this revolutionize kiting and wsfing teaching :idea: not to mention the aerial review is marvelous for special events or mapping things out like race courses etc. Pls take more including full reaches of sailors by flying behind or up wind from them? I would be interested in such footage for sure :arrow: wave riding shots would be awesome and then be able to pick your favorite frame, no more dodging floating photogs....maybe improvement in lenses is next, Randy / Mike :?: think the drone could support your massive lens selection :?: :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

JL wrote:Awesome. $ :?:
With the Quad-copter, Zenmuse gimbal, and GoPro camera, about $1700, including taxes. Purchased from Norburn Model Aircraft Supply, Burnaby. Extra video image transmitter and receiver can add up to $500 more :roll:
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:so if you are remote piloting the drove and a gust seems to be knocking it out of control can you just let the controls go and the drone will recover on it's own?
Yes that's right, and then the next thing to do is send the drone straight up and hopefully out of harm's way. Tricky thing is the drone has a rock steady GPS-based positional hover when operator's hands are off the controls, but is susceptible to immediate wind drift when input controls are resumed.
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

heffe222 wrote: Tricky thing is the drone has a rock steady GPS-based positional hover when operator's hands are off the controls, but is susceptible to immediate wind drift when input controls are resumed.
?? seems like that should/could just be a software change. if in mode B, all changes are just requested velocity/orientation delta's from the current 6d (5d? 3d space + pan/tilt?) position/orientation ... how you switch from mode A to mode B, is a valid question. Value of this being completely dependent on 'rock-steady ... hover' (which probably includes accellerometer data as well as GPS). And of course, editing video isn't fun. I don't see a FPV (first person view) setup there, which would make shooting video difficult (e.g. shooting blind). ... that said, I'm speaking mostly through my hat... limited quadropter experience and out of date engineering background. :) Fun toy!
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

Hmmm. Urban Dictionary: droning
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=droning
droning. The act of being either drunk or high and just sitting around doing nothing. This is not something to be proud of, you aren't socializing with girls or doing ...

Sounds fun
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson