Tent camping in the Gorge

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
banjohips

Tent camping in the Gorge

Post by banjohips »

If the weather looks like its going to be ok we are thinking of heading to the Gorge this weekend. Any suggestions where you can tent camp and leave the site during the day as you chase the wind?
Johnnyman

Post by Johnnyman »

The best place to camp in Hood River is Tucker County campground. 10 min to Hood river no highway noise no train noise. Showers and water $18 a site per day. Seems all other campgrounds have an interstate highway or railway going through in the gorge. If you don't want to pay you can always find a gravel pit down a deserted road.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I know a few other victoria kiters that were thinking about it. Would be cool to head down together if that's what we end up doing
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Sandy Beach

gorge camping

Post by Sandy Beach »

<a href="/http://freeguidetonwcamping.com/Oregon_ ... e_Park.htm" target="_blank">Toll Bridge Park, near Hood River, Oregon</a> is a great spot.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Johnnyman wrote:The best place to camp in Hood River is Tucker County campground. 10 min to Hood river no highway noise no train noise. Showers and water $18 a site per day. Seems all other campgrounds have an interstate highway or railway going through in the gorge. If you don't want to pay you can always find a gravel pit down a deserted road.
Winddude donated his backpack at Tucker? Tenting is tough but Maryhill is very nice, Celilo is free and grassy but has street people so not so safe for a tent and sprinklers, you can tent and kite at the best swells in the Gorge free at Rufus in the gravel area (far preferable to a gravel pit :roll: and a fair bit off away from the train tracks) but winds will be in the corridor this weekend from what I can see.... Memmaloose is very close to HR. They now don't seem to patrol parked sleeper cars at the event site roadways, perhaps pitching a tent is a bit too much tho....Stevenson would be a great place to tent or Home Valley and close to kiting venues....yes, all these have trains :wink: There are a few secret spots, you can find them if you invest a little time and have a buddy for safety in numbers, like Klickitat River, bring your own firearm :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Tucker is the best bet if you want to be near Hood River. Quiet, showers, good sites. We'll be there Thurs until Tues. Black Volvo wagon. We'll bring kites and windskippers. Maryhill is also nice further East. Hope to see some Vic friends there!

Chris
Poultry in motion
banjohips

Post by banjohips »

Thank you for the info, just for the record I'm a windsurfer (kinda). Still pondering if we are going to go..?
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

I would always pack up cause I never knew where I would end up at the gorge or even the coast for that matter, I wouldn't want my tent to dictate how far I might travel down there. There are tons of camp spots on both sides and the coast. They are all ok, get a guide or app at a visitor center.

One thing to remember wear ear plugs, to keep the trains from driving through your tent, while you are sleeping