OR Flite 10m & 12m & Jinx

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

OR Flite 10m & 12m & Jinx

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Those of you who read the OR newsletters will see they've released the flite in 10 and 12m, it sounds like it might be a good offering for those who were disappointed by the disappearance of the Rise from the OR lineup?

What I really want to know from the OR insiders: whats the story behind the Jinx that was mentioned in the e-mail? the e-mail said "We've made cool kites before that we elected not to sell"
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Dunno about jinxes but I can say that the two people I know who have been test driving these smaller Flites report they are really good. Like really really good...way beyond the norm, and not just saying that. :wink: :lol:

From what I have seen, OR has got a winner on its hands.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

I’m wondering about the Jinx too.

Also wondering if the new Flites have race potential
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
Ned

Post by Ned »

Todd and I fought for the Jinx last summer and threatened to buy it from the company so we could have it exclusively to ourselves :)

The Jinx is actually still in our proto kite closet and can probably be demoed again come Nitinaht season (it's a 10m). It was also coined the "Prodigy Pro" by Todd internally.

Back to the more important part, Flite 10 and 12m. Juan is pretty spot on... in fact the local testers helped confirm that we really had to make this kite. We were all pumped on it here at the office and were starting to wonder if our stoke was just feeding itself, but the independent verification went a long way.

The new Flites are not race kites. They drive further forward than the Prodigy in the window, but not as much as the Rise did (for example). If they flew that far forward though they wouldn't be nearly as good in the surf, which they are awesome at.

Steve - in terms of Rise comparisons.... the new Flites definitely have that old Rise jump style of SUPER lofty and lots of hangtime, but the kites are way easier to fly, turn faster, don't backstall like crazy a-la Rise... oh, and they are dedicated light wind kites too (don't forget!).

Juan can probably attest he has seen some pretty legitimate testing whereby guys can ride a 12m Flite when they would likely be on a 15+ of anything else - they are pretty darn efficient.

Ned
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Ned wrote:
Juan can probably attest he has seen some pretty legitimate testing whereby guys can ride a 12m Flite when they would likely be on a 15+ of anything else - they are pretty darn efficient.

Ned
I can attest to exactly that!
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

So, since I have a new 14.5 Flite it probably flies like a regular 19.0 I guess. ; )
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

That's 100% correct Greg (Snarfer).

In fact if you pump your kite with helium and spread butter on the leading edge, you can expect the power of a 21m with the speed of a 7m Razor.
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Robby S rode a 10 meter prototype flite here in L V and loved it. He used it with the hydrofoil and said it was perfect for that application too. He even tried to convince TeeKay aka toeside to leave it here for the rest of the season. Sadly tom loved it too!
Globe

Post by Globe »

These new kites are fantastic! I can't believe the 12m - it loops like an 8 and I know you hear that a lot but I don't often make that kind of claim myself. Pick one up I guarantee you won't be disappointed!
Well done Ocean Rodeo!
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

12m FLITE is SICK!!!
Attachments
12m FLITE.jpg
12m FLITE.jpg (722.56 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
JL

Post by JL »

I thought the rider was making it look good :P
Thermals are good.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I'm heading to LV in 2 weeks - will it be around so I can try it?
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Flite

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Ya garf was able to go upwind on that even better than me on my 14.5. Might be some skill attributed to that though! Todd might speak on the design differences.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

So what would a quiver look like now? How does the Flite fit?

7 Razoir
10 Prodigy
12 Flite
17 Flite

If so that'd be perfect, then I'd only need three new kites 8)
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
dangerdane

Post by dangerdane »

Skywalker you still need a 5 for the really cranking days. I was going to go for a 14 but I'm thinking about the 12 now.