learn to windsurf on an SUP

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Vit Sea

learn to windsurf on an SUP

Post by Vit Sea »

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about learning to windsurf on an SUP.
I'm thinking ahead to learning to windsurf, this coming summer, on my SUP. I live near Piper's Lagoon (Nanaimo).
I have a 10'5 starboard wide-point board (10'5 x 32" [178 litres]) - it has a mast insert (it is the AST construction). Starboard makes a windsurf rig for this (although I'm wondering if there might be other options too... especially more budget orientated ones).
Any advice is appreciated..
Thanks!!!!!
PS... I've had a couple of lessons a few years back when Kus was running sessions at Willows beach (thanks Kus!).
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I put my sailon my sup all the time. I learned on an old floaty long board that is similar in shape to a sup,theold floatylong board was pretty heavy and has the advantage of a dagger board. Now when I windsurf my sup I usually do in high wind. My sup was 3 fins and planes well, it's also able to stay up wind. I wonder how a sup would sail in sub 10 knot winds as far as pointing and staying up wind. I'm sure someone will. Home in here.
As far as rig options, the only limiting factor is the mast base, I installed a traditional mast track in mine that allows a 2 bolt base, I think the starboard's have a bung that will allow for a single bolt base, if that's the case you can fit any mast, sail boom combo. I would suggest something in the 5.7 size sail, depending on your size. Good luck!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sups are great to windsurf on, stable and floaty. the main issue you will find is when you go out in beginner winds of under 10 knots you will drift downwind quickly with no centreboard, unless you rail the board over like a snowboard. this is easy to do but is a challenge for a beginner if you are just getting the hang of holding the sail and balancing. options are to find a nice spot like the lagoon at pipers where you can easily hike back to where you started, or else you can make something like this fancy stick-on centreboard i whipped up for my kid using a suction lifter and an old plastic cutting board (precision foiled). :D
(the string ties to a little hole i drilled in the fin so i don't lose it, but so far it hasn't fallen off!)
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

That center board is priceless! Great idea.
Poultry in motion
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

more like ~20$ at princess auto. :lol: (I got the idea at iwindsurf) 8)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Glad ur back at it!! I have a fiberglass padded cut off hobie ama board that you can have to use, straps on. To me biggest issue is mast damage on your SUP rail and yes drifting downwind. I am contemplating a starter board purchase to rent but there are so few of you....did it once b4 and I took another hit
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Vit Sea

Post by Vit Sea »

As I'll be learning at pipers (and can walk/wade the board back) I'll try at first without the makeshift centreboard .... but that's great macgiver-ing
What's the hobie AMA kus?
My board has a screw hole for the mast ..... what do I need to buy and any suggestion for used/budget gear to start?
Starboard also make a windsurf rig for my board that I'll look into..
Thanks for helping ...
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Vit Sea

Post by Vit Sea »

thanks downwind dave .... the pic/links are very helpful ;)
Vit Sea

Post by Vit Sea »

here's the starboard windsurf sup rig ....
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2 ... dsup-sails
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Vit Sea wrote:As I'll be learning at pipers (and can walk/wade the board back) I'll try at first without the makeshift centreboard .... but that's great macgiver-ing
What's the hobie AMA kus?
My board has a screw hole for the mast ..... what do I need to buy and any suggestion for used/budget gear to start?
Starboard also make a windsurf rig for my board that I'll look into..
Thanks for helping ...
basically it is a fiberglass oversized fin faired into a flat sq foot base with a pad that can be strapped to bottom of board
You need a single bolt ujoint base available from Windance, someone might have a used one, you can borrow one from davidm at pipers :idea: :D :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....