Nitinat Road Reports 2016

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
nanmoo

Nitinat Road Reports 2016

Post by nanmoo »

First 26 km are as good as it gets, 80km/h cruising.

Then there is 17 km of semi-misery. 30 m bombed section followed by 100-500m of cruising, wash, rinse, repeat.

Last 8 km into town are 70 km/h but with fist sized gravel in some sections.

All in all the crap sections only added 30 mins to the trip. About 2 hours from the Westshore.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Same as above but graded a few km deeper. The crappy section is more or less unchanged but the last 8km after the left to town is a bit nastier. Still only 2h15min lake to colwood.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

On Sunday the north shore from Youbou through to Nitinat was not great, but not horrible. Kind of that annoying bumpiness where you have to pay attention but don't have to really slow down all that often. The shaded sections before the Bamfield junction are probably the worst.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the PA way is looking like? I may need to use that this weekend.

Thanks!
BigD

Post by BigD »

Thanks for the update. Bringing the trailer in next week.

My buddy at work went 3 weeks ago in his wife's 2016 Audi Q3. He straddled the rock pile the grader made and heard a bang😲 . Had to get towed to youbou and then the insurance company barged it back to vancouver. 18k damage, transmission and rad leaking everywhere. He has been sleeping on the couch ever since. 😪
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

3 weeks ago I came from Port Alberni, and the road was in much better shape than Cowichan.
GWIND

Best Rd.

Post by GWIND »

Now I am peeing my pants. Going in tomorrow am. Which way to go. Holt shit Big D it's a logging Rd. An A3. Mans crazy. Will post conditions if I can. An A3 holy hell.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Last summer I saw a guy on a crotch rocket there and the summer before that a lowered 240Z. No worries as long as you drive accordingly!
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Gone up lots of times in the Prius, just have to respect the day's road condition and drive appropriately (and let all the other's pass you!) But at least it's mine, taking your wife's brand new Audi ... yeah, that's a genetics fail!
We windsurf - life must be good!
KC7777

Nat

Post by KC7777 »

Drove in through Youbou and out through Port. Port better. But not by much.

K
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Some grading happening past the end of the lake then still not great from Youbou. Still taking well under an hour. Drove out PA yesterday and personally I think it's way worse. I'll take a few pot holes here and there over kilometers of up and downhill Heinous washboard any day.

Half ply in the outhouses. If you have a sensitive knot BYOTP.
dunkinguy

Nitinaht road

Post by dunkinguy »

Road to port blows. Went full Dukes of Hazard airborn over hidden dips in pavement. My van was not happy with that. Guess I should slow down. Youbou Rd was in pretty decent shape today. Made good time.
Love The Hate!
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

As of Tuesday, Port Alberni freshly graded. Unfortunately, didn't help much with multiple areas or compact washboard surface in the usual places (hill up to the Alberni inlet overlook).
Lots of loose gravel on the road so pretty easy to slide if taking corners too quickly.
Really it is in the usual shape, doesn't get much better - more than half of the dirt is pretty darn smooth. Again loose gravel was the biggest issue.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Saw 3 grader on my way to Nitinaht Tuesday forenoon. Some part were already better. (youbou part). It did NUKE yesterday!!! (from 1615-1725 ~)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

North Shore is mint. Go that way.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

South shore ok as well as of Tues afternoon.
curses - foiled again!