Nitinat conditions

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
CRiver gal

Nitinat conditions

Post by CRiver gal »

I could use some feedback on the best way to predict the wind forecast for Nitinat Lake. I realize on this website there is the wind prediction chart but it does not forecast far ahead and furthermore I am almost certain that couple years ago when I went to Nitinat we had loads of wind and BWD chart showed no winds in forecast.
In particular I am trying to determine what could happen there later this week, where I see Weds, Thurs. Friday forecast in Port Alberni is a mix of sun and cloud with 22-24 degrees. I tend to assume we need hotter than 25 and only clear skies.....am I incorrect with this assumption?
I will do some more research on the web to see what I can learn.
Thanks.
JL

Post by JL »

You just need a clear day. If there is a fog bank the wind will be stronger: http://www.islandnet.com/~rkashino/RKNi ... recast.php Always check the date carefully. http://www.bigwavedave.ca/latest.php?site=20 ... http://www.victoriaweather.ca/station.php?id=226 8)
Thermals are good.
CRiver gal

Post by CRiver gal »

Yes I realize clear weather is typically what is needed. Also trying to determine if winds can also happen on days where its predicted to have a mix of sun and cloud, as with this coming week.
Thanks for reply
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

CRiver gal wrote:trying to determine if winds can also happen on days where its predicted to have a mix of sun and cloud, as with this coming week.
Thanks for reply
yes
There is no prediction chart for Nitinat
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jim mckenzie

nitinat

Post by jim mckenzie »

If it's so hot the wind is blowing from east to west, don't go (this is somewhat rare). If it is raining, don't go (not so rare). Otherwise chances are pretty good. If it is sunny with fog on the coast you are more or less guaranteed. Check for temperature differentials between a cool Tofino and a hot Port Alberni. The greater the difference, the greater the wind.
raztec

Post by raztec »

When's the best time for Nitnat and what's the most common wind strength?

Thanks
JL

Post by JL »

July 7 1 p.m. 8)
Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I would bet Nitinaht will be going off all week and not too many people!
curses - foiled again!