Windsurf foiling

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Windsurf foiling

Post by more force 4 »

I started looking at windsurf foiling; yep, just like Marty says, this from another kiter/windsurfer: "the learning curve on a Windsurf foil is ten times easier than a kite foil and the crashes are way less violent"
https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2016 ... indsurfing

Might be a use for that old Tuttle boxed board gathering dust yet! http://www.windance.com/Kiteboard/Foil- ... ete/35250/

Anyone else tried one yet? I remember way back some people experimented with foils windsurfing and it was pretty much a bust, but these seem way better, probably thanks to all the kiting experimentation. I wonder, can you point anything like as high as you can with a kite???[/url]

And then there is this, if you have 5,000 pounds to spare. The description of sailing it didn't sound as appealing as the more simple foils, but they don't come with LED light bars for night sailing. https://boards.co.uk/equipment-tests/te ... ested.html
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

I would be on board with learning the ways of the foil. It would work well at Kennedy Lake and possibly other lakes that get a light thermal.
Ideally it would be nice to find something affordable and can be used on a SUP as well, seeing how SUP foiling is creating some excitement on rolling swells that don't end up breaking and down winders.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Sharesies on the cost??? :D
Poultry in motion
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

Dave from Windance was testing them out last summer in the gorge. He said to Chris and I, "You wait, next year this is going to be the thing everyone is talking about." Looks like his words may prove prophetic.

I was hoping to demo from him this summer.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

DIY one from other boards. John Bridal built a pretty gnarly kite foil just through bolting a surfboard! Apparently a mast and foil alone are quite affordable. Add the board and it's daddy warbucks cash.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

redbaron wrote:I would be on board with learning the ways of the foil. It would work well at Kennedy Lake and possibly other lakes that get a light thermal.
I'm really interested in getting one to try on Okanagan Lake, especially after reading MartyD's post! There is a light thermal there in the morning but it's just not enough for windsurfing. I saw this at windance and thought I might try and put one on my 110L FSW board but a SUP would be great. Not sure if they have power box fins on SUPs though?

http://www.windance.com/Windsurf/Windsu ... ate/35287/
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

That mounting plate looks pretty straight forward. I bet I could fab something similar that would connect on to a US box or the furthest back 2 FSC boxes to put it on a SUP. Might not be as tough as a Tuttle.... Could be worth a try.

As for a board BFD has an old 105L Roberts formula that should work.

Also. I would be excited to see the day people use inflatable boards with foils. :idea: if only I had the means to play around and develop such technology. :roll: Inflatable Foil Windsurfing is the future! :lol:
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Can't wait to see these on the lake. This would make me want to get back into windsurfing.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Windoc, I am interested / curious. Regular tuttle option. I have a TS 260 bump and jump we can use!
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

WDoc, I'd pony up for sharing cost too. But the Winddance one, or maybe the French Horue? Anyone have time to search for a The English one looks cool and sounds interesting in terms of total newbies using it (easier to learn foiling than regular windsurfing) but I suspect a dog in terms of performance (the mast is too low to get above a lot of the chop and it needs lots of wind and doesn't like pumping the sail) and of course the price is way too high.

I think a pretty floaty board is going to be required to slog out to the wind or back if it dies. And definitely the tuttle, I am pretty sure a US box wouldn't stand up to the pressures - although I read about one foil that is interchangeable on SUP boards apparently, so maybe?? The SUP foiling looked very cool in the ability to pump the foil to stay foiling and connect waves.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Hey Guys,

I was riding an LP windfoil and a starboard 110 Isonic.
I can likely arrange a demo weekend up at Nitinat when the season starts. Also get a hookup on LP foils, but they are manufactured in hood river and full carbon so will not be the cheapest option. I am not a great windsurfer and I got it really fast(I'm sure previous kitefoiling experience helped).
It is like a 747 compared to a fighter jet. The kitefoil is scary and twitchy, the windfoil is slow stable and not scary at all. I think we will be seeing more of them very soon! Likely a single session for any of you and you will be doing long foiling reaches. Another nice thing is not much force on the sail so I could ride unhooked 8)
winddude

Post by winddude »

That'd be really friggin cool, been wanting to try one for a few years.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Marty, any comment about whether there is anything like the 'fighter jet' ability to point what seems like damn near straight upwind?
letsflykites

Post by letsflykites »

Do you think you could kite on a windfall with a small kite perhaps? Would that take away some of the twitchiness?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

MartyD wrote:Hey Guys,

I was riding an LP windfoil and a starboard 110 Isonic.
I can likely arrange a demo weekend up at Nitinat when the season starts. Also get a hookup on LP foils, but they are manufactured in hood river and full carbon so will not be the cheapest option. I am not a great windsurfer and I got it really fast(I'm sure previous kitefoiling experience helped).
It is like a 747 compared to a fighter jet. The kitefoil is scary and twitchy, the windfoil is slow stable and not scary at all. I think we will be seeing more of them very soon! Likely a single session for any of you and you will be doing long foiling reaches. Another nice thing is not much force on the sail so I could ride unhooked 8)
I'm in on the demo! Sounds like a riot.
Poultry in motion