How low can you go? 12m flite

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

How low can you go? 12m flite

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm trying to decide which two kites to take to Panama my 9.5 for sure, and I have a 2011 15m caution or a newer 12m fite
I've never gotten them in the same year, so I'm curious how much more efficient the flite actually is? (I'll be riding a crazy fly skim, so I'll gain some low end on that too
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

No questions, take the flite.
letsflykites

Post by letsflykites »

It would depend on the wind range for me. I think the 15m Spitfire can get you out in 10 knots according to their website (based on weight, board etc..). If the whole purpose is to kite every day, can your 12m Flite get you out in 10 knots? Can you stomach driving a monster kite in low winds vs. sipping cocktails on the beach instead...or more likely, just surfing when theres no wind?
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

letsflykites wrote:If the whole purpose is to kite every day, can your 12m Flite get you out in 10 knots? Can you stomach driving a monster kite in low winds vs. sipping cocktails on the beach instead...or more likely, just surfing when theres no wind?
That's the big question, I haven't had a chance to take the flite out in conditions low enough to test it's low-end
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I have 17m flite, friend has the 12m. There were not many days that I was riding when he wasn't at least able to get out. Though at very low wind, it was iffy if he could stay upwind. I think that 12m flite is magic.

From what I've seen:

At 6kt, the 17m flies but hard to stay upwind.
At 8-10kt, I can stay upwind on 17m, the 12m can fly but it's a challenge to stay upwind.
10kt plus, I think the 12m can probably do it ... with a skim, paipo, or high volume surfboard.

So I'd bring the 12m. Below 10kt, go do something else! ;-)
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Gracias Juan :) Tha'ts exactly the type of info I was hoping for.

I think I'll bring my fly rod too :)
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

What juan said :D
Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

I have an 8 and a 10 flite and I LOVE them. With the foil I can go out in minimal conditions and be very happy. I bought them specifically for foiling and they have been AMAZING. As to how little wind hmmmm can't quote the numbers but hardly anyone else is out and I'm doing just fine :)
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

anybody have any idea what the wind was like for the one design races at windfest? I just realised I have flown 12m flites in lighter conditions, just not mine.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It was pretty windy during the one design event this year as I recall it.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Maybe it was and there was just a shore bubble by the slalom for a while or something. Oh well doesn't matter. 9.5, flite and skim it is
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

bring your line extensions
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Do you guys sell them separate? I'll have to double check my bars I have left but I think they're all 23 or 21m
Ned

Post by Ned »

Normally we don't sell separate, but right now we have some extras.