Packing travel bag/protecting board

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Packing travel bag/protecting board

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm leaving for Panama on Saturday, so figured I should start thinking about packing my bag.
I've got an un-padded mystic golf bag I'm planning on using but want to protect the rails on my board since it's wider than the TT's I've travelled with (crazyfly skim).
I'm thinking of picking up a pool noodle and slicing it in half and slipping it over the edges. Any other thoughts/ideas?
Jaksent

Post by Jaksent »

Hot water line foam insulation is a lot smaller diameter and is pre-slit. Might save you some time and frustration of dealing with the pool noodle.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

Jaksent wrote:Hot water line foam insulation is a lot smaller diameter and is pre-slit. Might save you some time and frustration of dealing with the pool noodle.
Excellent, never would have thought of that stuff, thanks!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You could also just tape strips of cardboard wrapped around the edges for the eco-solution and wrap your harness around the midsection with the hook removed. That's what I usually do.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Pipe foam insulation worked for me - it comes in variable thickness - I took a thicker version. It is much more compact than the pool noodles. I reuse them when I transport bikes (frames touching) and also double them up under footstraps (in the windsurfer) to keep them from being crushed.
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

That's what I ended up going with, made a ring of it with the pipe insulation and tuck tape, and it slips over the the edge of the board with a bit of stretching and shouldn't come off in transit. Works great!