Helmet preference?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
MDCustom

Helmet preference?

Post by MDCustom »

What are others' preference for helmets? Also, where to get one in Victoria?

I have read a bit about Gath and like their gear but I might be limited to one model because I have a XXL head. The other problem is I would like to try one on for fit and mail order from OZ doesn't seem to be a good idea for me. It's hard enough for me to find motorcycle helmets that fit comfortably at the local stores.

What about whitewater kayak helmets?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I was considering placing another GATH order anyway. The more pre-orders I get the easier that is to justify. Shipping is a big cost factor. Anybody else need one in a specific color or style or size? :idea: At last check these were $119 US (surf hat...Gedi $18-20us more). Not sure what they are now exactly. I would recommend the Gedi style for kiting and the surf hat, neoprene or foam for windsurfing, The surf hat foam for SUP :!: I would not recommend a bill-fitted or kayak helmet to prevent neck injuries. That's what makes the GATH the only choice really
Last edited by KUS on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
MDCustom

Post by MDCustom »

Kus,
Put me down for a XXL helmet. In red preferably, or yellow. Something easy to see from a distance.

PM me if we need to discuss details.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

I use a Pro-tec Kayak helmet from Ocean River sports. Works really well.https://www.amazon.ca/Pro-tec-Water-Hel ... yak+helmet
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

precisely one of the major units causing neck injuries when impacting water at speed :roll: look at all the surface area that catches the water. Similar to hockey helmets, I am living proof that this is what happens.... :oops:
Wish less, sail more!!

C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

+one for Gath

I have used about at least five different kinds (including ProTech, whitewater paddling, wakeboarding, freesking) and Gath is by far my favorite. They are very well thought out and very durable. I really like that I can use it with (no fitting strip) and without a wetsuit hood (with fitting strip). One helmet for all seasons is a bonus.
MDCustom

Post by MDCustom »

I like the idea of ear protection provided by the Gath. Also, if I understand correctly from the website, the ear pieces are removable? Or can at least be opened up?
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Wow, I did not realize that could happen Kus. Now that I think about it , it makes complete sense. Guess I better follow this thread and upgrade ...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

MDCustom wrote:I like the idea of ear protection provided by the Gath. Also, if I understand correctly from the website, the ear pieces are removable? Or can at least be opened up?
depends on model 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Gath Gedi is a great helmut but stay clear of the matt black finish, I think it's this model on their site...https://www.gathsports.com/productsingle.php?id=180 I had 2 of these and the plastic gets soft and starts to almost melt. They did warranty them and said they had fixed it but the second one did the same thing. They replaced that one and sent me a carbon print one...https://www.gathsports.com/productsingle.php?id=108 instead which is a beauty! Love it, and that model you came remove the ear protectors but they can also open and close.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

I'd like to get one as well. Not sure what kind, neoprene, EVA or SFC (Convertable).. Any difference in fit?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Both the Convertible and the Gedis fit a little larger than the surf hats. If you have an internal retractable visor ($$) or want to cover a hood get a size larger. The fitting strips work pretty well to adjust minor fit issues with the helmet. Usually if you have a neoprene thick hood in winter you're looking at a second helmet unless you get the micro fleece hood from MEC. If you have a prominent forehead then the EVA front surfhat is not for you, the neo front surfhat has more room. Also the Gedi and the Convertible (both types have removable ear protection) seem to have more fore and general headspace. I haven't found a noticeable difference removing the earpieces for heat etc. so I prefer the surfhat. Some people will experience tightness at the ears but the helmet does flex a bit in time. The earhole adjustments on them don't do much and I leave them alone, 1/2 open. And the surf hat is the most water dynamic. The Gedi has the greatest impact protection due to a three piece shell and meets the EC white water kayak standard. My GATH is now 20 years old and I would suggest they should last most of a lifetime of surfing.

I'd need ~10 pre-orders to make this happen :idea: minimum order is 30 units
Wish less, sail more!!

Windsurfish

Gath Surf Hat Black Expandible Neoprene Headband (320-345 gm

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi Marcus,

I'd like a extra large in the old style please. The L in black. The Gedi's dont fit my melon....

Gath Surf Hat Black Expandible Neoprene Headband (320-345 gms)SURF HELMET

Thanks,

Chris :)
Last edited by Windsurfish on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

you want to get the surf hat so you can achieve that cool horizontal tan line across the forehead. 8)
Windsurfish

:)

Post by Windsurfish »

with five vent hole marks as well.....