Freestyle on the Island?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
kirby

Freestyle on the Island?

Post by kirby »

Hi All,
Looking at moving up to Victoria in the next six months, and I'm excited to be moving home to Canada after 8 seasons of windsurfing in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been pretty focused on freestyle the past couple of years, and would love advice from anyone who does freestyle on Vancouver Island about where the good spots are, what the conditions are like, how many days per year you can get, and what size of gear you typically find yourself using.
Thanks!
Kirby
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Fresh Blood! Welcome!

I can throw the odd decrepit Spock and shuvit and loop and still have dreams of grubbies and Flakas, but I'm far from a dedicated freestyler. There is a small but core group of, let's say, "mature" sailors here on the island sailing year round. Nitinat lake is the obvious choice in the late spring, summer, and early Fall (wind nearly every sunny day and world class freestyle conditions). Gordon's Beach in spring/summer, Piper's lagoon in Nanaimo, Port Alberni (Canal Beach) are also great for freestyle. Problem is, very few sailors here are dedicated to the super spinny/slidey stuff and focus more on riding waves or bump'n jump stuff. You'll get to ride freestyle kit here a LOT if you don't mind driving a bit to find wind. You just may be a little lonely if you're looking for freestyle company. Freestyle seemed to peak here at least 5 years ago and has faded a bit since. Hopefully you'll inspire some people to try more tricks and take a break from mowing the lawn!
Poultry in motion
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

hey kirby, yeah move up here and teach us some stuff, i've been doing the same sad 1/2 spock for about 10 years. :x
i think whatever gear you use in SF is going to be fine up here. maybe a thicker wetsuit.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Gordons and Nitnat are the best bets in the summer, although I find myself usually under powered at nitnat for freestyle, 210lbs, on a 105 goya x1 and 5.8/5.3. Gordons is a little windier, but isn't as regular as nat, and usually got to get out of work early to hit it around 3pm. June and July you'll get a good thermal 2 or 3 times a week at Gordons.

Occasionally some good guys are around...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZSCJAn ... Iq2ZnZEVUW[/youtube]
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Sorry but as you may have noticed lately the island is now full&#128529;You may trade homes tho &#128522;
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

KUS wrote:Sorry but as you may have noticed lately the island is now full&#128529;You may trade homes tho &#128522;
Yup the one highway from town sucks to get to gordons, actually its the only highway on the island, rush hour from 1 to 6:30. So painful when the wind is picking up.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
Sandy Beach

freestyle windsurfing

Post by Sandy Beach »

downwind dave wrote:hey kirby, yeah move up here and teach us some stuff, i've been doing the same sad 1/2 spock for about 10 years. :x
i think whatever gear you use in SF is going to be fine up here. maybe a thicker wetsuit.
dwd , l like watching your 'spock' moves!
Come to China Creek....only a shorty or bathing suit or thin wetsuit required this time of year :)
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Three short years later and here we are: I think I have seer powers! :?

Our poor island is sinking....you really wanna fit more on that tiny beach Sandy?? Yesterday was pretty busy :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....