Chinook carbon mast extension review ?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
GWIND

Chinook carbon mast extension review ?

Post by GWIND »

I broke a carbon mast extention Thursday at C B. There was lots of chatter about these bases breaking. So, I took one apart because I have to know how things work or dont. It broke right at the hub, perfect for checking the thickness. Super thin from what I could see(see pics). The upper hub is fractionally thicker than the bottom.
With thin walls like this it seems to me inconceivable that these bases could take any sort of heavy use.
Attachments
IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3351.JPG (452.82 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
IMG_3355.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG (644.28 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
IMG_3352.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG (769.64 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Disappointing. Yes, well known problem, be happy it didn't happen outside of Florence or the Cape/pistol on a big day. If you bring it in pretty sure they'll give you another one, not sure if you'll want it....
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i'm no fan myself but i looked at the Chinook website and they have the old carbon extension design that flares out at the bottom like this one, while the euro pin design remains straight. maybe they eliminated a weak spot.

vs

gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

That is an older design, I haven't seen 1 break there for years! The wall thickness on the new ones is about 3.5mm - & even more where the flair overlaps the straight section. if I'm reading your measurement correctly then it looks like you have about 2mm?
GWIND

Bad design

Post by GWIND »

Glad they have reworked the design. Lots of those older ones broke.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson