Drilling for track

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Jeffreyheslop9

Drilling for track

Post by Jeffreyheslop9 »

Ok so my last trip out I kept stepping on the button that allows the mast to move forward and back. Very frustrating to say the least. So today I thought I would take off the track and see if I can put the mast base from my other board on it. Well stripped the head of the screws so I thought I could drill out the heads the get a screw extractor to remove the rest. Well with it being aluminum screws the extractor kept chewing the aluminum and not removing the shaft of the screw. My buddy helping me said to just drill out the rest of the screw right into the meat of the board then re tap it. My concern is that if I do drill into the meat that could cause a strong chance of a waterlogged board. Now the track was held on with three screws, one I got out but two not so lucky. Now there is a forth spot that a screw could go but that would only leave me with two not three. In the pictures posted the hole at the top is good and the third hole down is good, the other two are not. The nose of the board is face down, just so you know the orientation of it. Another thought I had, more work and risk, was to drill a bigger hole through the board and then epoxy a tube into place then have a bolt go straight through. Well that's where I'm at. Any help would be great. Thanks jeff
Attachments
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG (70.82 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG (52.85 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

its too bad you pulled the track out as you might have been able to hook a base to it. now it looks sorta like you could fit a nice piece of wood in there. maybe a piece of hockey stick. epoxy it in place then just use wood screws to attach a chinook 2-bolt base. :wink:
bamfieldave

Post by bamfieldave »

looks like a great time to pick up a newish board! :wink:
Jeffreyheslop9

I fix it.

Post by Jeffreyheslop9 »

Great news, after messing around with it today I was able to replace the track. Not going to get into it but it's fixed. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

Do not drill any holes into that board.
I bought some gear from Doug a couple of days ago and he has this board for sale. Like new, good price, it might suit you as it transitions from sub planing to planing to full on footstraps and jibes in one board. It is a modern design; wider and shorter to plane earlier. If I were teaching someone I would use it.
http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8664
Jeffreyheslop9

Post by Jeffreyheslop9 »

Ya I saw that on there last night. Bit out of my price range for now. Looks nice and floaty.
winddude

Post by winddude »

yea, prodigy would be a good choice for cruising around in light winds as well.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart