What is your largest kite?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

What is your largest kite?

Post by Joostio »

New kiter here. I'm in the 200lb club and I was wondering what other people who are heavier are using for their large kite? I have a 12m and I'm trying to decide if I go for a bigger kite. No foiling for a while. Strapless is fun enough for now.

So what are you riding on big guy?
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

I'm ~210. I have an older (~2011) Caution! Zombie 15m, it's got that extra little bit of grunt over my 12m flite.

The flite is certainly more efficient, and they can both get me out in almost the same winds (my 15m is a heavier 6 strut design, so I don't really gain much bottom end over the flite, but it makes it easier/more fun). When I was kiting in panama, had I brought the 15 I would have had more, better sessions, as it was *just* too light for the 12. I brought my 15 to Belize and that saved my sessions there, but I've only used it on the island 3-4 times.

Long story short:
If you're kiting on the island, the 12 is probably just fine the vast majority of the time. If you're travelling to central America & the Caribbean with lighter winds and warmer air and limited time, I'd consider getting a 14.5 or 17 flite as it will get you more or better sessions.

The flites are WAY faster/more efficient than some of the older designs too (and depower), so at some point I'll probably switch my 15m for one of those two.
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I am not in big guy club, but can speak to pros/cons of large kite. I have an OR Flite 17m. It flies at 6kts, can ride underpowered at 8kts, powered at 10kts. Maxes out at 17-18kts. Maybe add 2kts to each for extra 50lbs ;-)

17m flite is pretty good at upwind, compared to 17m cloud I had for a while. Surfboard better than twintip, bigger surfboard the better (can even play around with SUP).

Works nice on those light summer days. A bit sketchy in winter, as the winds are so variable, that you launch in 10kts, suddenly it's 15-20kt and you're maxed out. Above 20 and it's maybe into scary time....get to the beach asap!

For foiling the 17m is marginal....gets you up and riding in light wind, but then immediately overpowered. Probably better to fly a light 12m.
JL

Post by JL »

I'm 190 & use a twin tip. (usually the 130 MAKO) I've been using the 12M FLITE (version 4) in ~ 14-20 knots. I have a 14.5 FLITE for the lighter winds, but you honestly only gain a couple more knots to the bottom end (so 12). Using a floatier board and adding 3M extensions to your kite lines will equal the slight advantage of the larger kite. 8) As your kite skills improve you gain the most from your kite / board :P There is no substitute for time on the water.
Thermals are good.
smartang

Post by smartang »

50 lbs makes a huge difference! When I was in St Kitts I used to teach 240lbs guys while I was a 160lb starving kite instructor. They were just right on a 14m in 23-25 knots of carribean hairdryer wind. Meanwhile I could barely keep contact with the water while riding the kite back up for them.

Board size and type is the second biggest factor. Just the other day at China Creek I landed 100lb Girlonabaord 10m kite and her tt. Minutes later I (now double her weight) was well powered on my 7m with a 6'2 fish surfboard.

If you are a dedicated big air freestyle/wakestyle rider or a beginner then you'll need a big kite. I've seen ripped little pkra guys ride a 10m in 30 knots. With a surfboard I can't see ever needing more than an efficient 12m.

Finally, the last major factor is the wind stability. Learning to kite in Montreal everybody was on huge kites. I was probably the only guy out on a 12 most days as I couldn't afford anything bigger. The wind there is usually shifty and holey. So 10 gusting to 20 and shifting 45 degrees, you need to rig big for the lulls/shifts to stay upwind. 20 knots gusting to 20 and an average weight but expert kite flyer can ride any kite size.

As of right now I only have a 7,10m. Sure would be nice to have an efficient 12m for those 15kn wave days at chestermans. Got a foil on the way though, so maybe a 10m will cut it.
AC

33 meter

Post by AC »

That was fun pumping a 33 meter wipika. In like 6 knots.
Quite some power 👍
12 meter was.my favorite kite 👍
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I'm down to 205 now...bet that 2006 OR Bronco I have somewhere still has serious HP :lol: not the safest unit around compared to my prodigies but one day I'll use it again! Esp love the 5th line re-hotlaunch option :twisted: it is perfectly named
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....