training kite locations

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

training kite locations

Post by Windjunky »

Wheres a good spot (field) to try a training kite in Victoria thought I would give it a try . want to take lessons next summer and I thought I would try a 2 m training kite first.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

clover point on west or east

island view on south east

agate on those cold north easters

or colwood lagoon too or north east or anything from south. Great to learn to fly a kite in gusty winds, how to handle hindenburgs and relaunching (not joking)

2 line trainer? or 4 line with depower bar?

2 line is great to learn wind window and how wind works ... but you'll have used up training potential in an hour or two (still fun though)

4 line is a miniaturized full size kite ... there's lots of exercises you can do to prepare for your lessons, enough solid practice you can cut out half or a day of lessons potentially.
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Great thanks. ordered a used one on ebay naish 2 line i think.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Once you have it mastered go to ocean rodeo HQ on Cadillac Ave and see if you can buy or borrow their 2m four line trainer. They are one of the few kite companies that make one.

starter video 2line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8_Ed7JDTA

4line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Pevl_BNxQ
Windjunky
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Windjunky »

Any soccer fields big enough to fly trainer ? Does Ocean rodeo have a shop on cadillac I couldn't see it?
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

soccer fields will be located in land.. away from a consistent wind speed and direction... in land things will disturb the wind and cause gusty variable conditions..

the last thing you want to do is make it harder to learn.. stick to the locations juan mentioned and you'll be doing better quicker.

you need to learn the wind! its tough because you can't see it.. but before launching a kite plant a couple small flags around the area you are flying and it will tell a tail of where the wind is and what its doing.