Rigging area Pat Bay

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
DAY

Rigging area Pat Bay

Post by DAY »

Hey guys!

New to the sport, trying to get out and practice. Pat Bay is near me and I attempted to go out on high tide and found the rigging area was quite small and awfully close to the highway. Anyone find this an issue? I guess more ideal when tide is low? Any help is much appreciated!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Windsurfer or kiter? What skill level?
DAY

Post by DAY »

Kiter and very much a beginner...I have had 2 day lesson this summer. Got up and riding. Yet to go out since then.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Don't go there! You might find some areas in the summer with lower tides that would be launchable, but the best areas are Tseycum First Nation and that is probably going to squelch any launch (and parking). If onshore you are going to be very close to power lines.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

To put it bluntly, your lack of experience is not suited to most winter kiting conditions experienced in the Greater Victoria area.
You should probably not kite alone either. Go to Island View Beach next time there is a PSE (pissing south-easterly) to watch and learn.
If you must kite, best bet is Island View Beach on 10-20 knot SE (likely raining) or NE (likely freezing) with other kiters around to alert you on local conditions. Also be advised that winter winds are not steady and can change in strength and direction very quickly.
Digital427

Pat Bay Local

Post by Digital427 »

Im out in Deep Cove and kite pat bay every now and again. It's not the best spot for sure. Wind on a westerly is ok ish but it can be a bit gusty. Add that to a very small launch at mid to high tide, very close power lines and a huge beach bubble down by the big fir trees along W Saanich. Oh yeah, the shells on the beach can eat up leading edges and the airport gets a little antsy in the pantsy when you ride under the approach path (seen them call the fuzz). Totally doable when you've got some experience but like some of the other responses have said, i'd stick to IV for a bit.
DAY

Post by DAY »

Thanks for the quick reply's. I have been waiting for the good day at islandview aswell, still haven’t gotten lucky. All I have for gear is a 10m OR Flite and 146 TT, would this get me (80KG) guy going in 10-20knots of wind? I agree with you doc, going out alone would not be wise. If any of you frequent Islandview, I wouldn’t say no to parterning up.
CTK

Post by CTK »

As other have stated... kited there in the past... live pretty close. Mainly only kite it on a lower tide which gives you lots of area to launch away from the road and only on strong westerly... Get someone to launch you there as the shells and barnacles will puncture your kite.

Island View will start firing soon with the SE so head there.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Pat Bay is part of controlled airspace and although some folks may get away with it, proximity to 09/27's flight path and kiting on the active seaplane flight paths could get you a hefty fine if TC wants to be nasty or if there is a conflict. Not worth the hassle as conditions are not great but for a few westerly days a year. Have fun at IV once skills are up to it.
We windsurf - life must be good!