Nitinat Summer Racing

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Nitinat Summer Racing

Post by Bobson »

:D Since the '1st annual New Years Sail-2-gether' went resonably well I am looking to organize another 'event' on the May 21/22 weekend up at Nitnat(weather permitting) as this is the weekend that the Trident people will be up at Nitnat doing their demo fleet thing. I would like to organize some 'fun' races(course racing and or slalom racing), just setting up some buoys and having some races with people informally. I'll talk to others that have racing/WIRED experience and hopefully we can get some good ideas and good things from others experience without too much interuption to others at the site. :wink:

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to Post here/Private message me or email me directly. I am starting this thread now so there is lots of time to plan and organize all the things that will be needed to make this a Fan-Flippin-Tastic event that people will think of as a positive experience and want more of these events to take place in the future. :shock:

I'll talk to the Trident people and see how they feel about this during their demo weekend.....I'm pretty sure they'll be happy with the (hopefully) added interest/people. Maybe we could make this part of a BIGWAVEDAVE fundraiser event..?? :D
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Racing this summer

Post by Bobson »

Okay, I'm following up on this thread as it doesn't seem to have too much of a following yet. I'm wondering two things...

1. Who would be interested in racing up at Nitnat this summer...??
2. What was the demise of WIRED..??

I'm looking to get either a weekly/biweekly/monthly racing schedule for Nitnat this summer. I've got a good start on this but need some more info regarding past WIRED events, 1st Nations boating traffic, kiters and everyone's safety. I don't want to piss anybody off or clog up the lake but I believe morning/evening and well upwind/downwind course racing and daytime slalom racing could be done without causing problems or creating safety issues for other users of the lake. As well, I believe we can increase the fun factor meet new people while considering everyone else's enjoyment.

So if anyone has any info about past WIRED events and what went well and why there wasn't one last year....PLEASE let me know. either reply to this or send me a PM.

Wind is Good!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

did someone say speed??

Post by KUS »

1) ok but I need more than 8M wind or I'll have to drink & cheer instead
2) something to do with Forestry permits?

Don't think boat traffic is an issue and kiters play upwind mostly where race courses work pretty good at boat launch and lower, check with Tom (fireman) & Tom Sullivan...as I recall they ran a Saturday eve series. Try Declan/Northshore and local stores for sponsorship for WIRED. They will also likely know more about it's demise.

I think a speed series would be cool using MF4's GPS toy, like establishing a "Lake Speed Record" sorta thing...

Too bad nobody likes your post, Bobson. Don't cry as :roll: nobody responded to it :cry: I'm with ya bud :P
Kus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

1. Yes (slalom)
2. No commercial activities allowed in Park. Volunteer thing should work OK I think.
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Hey Bobson, I'm still keen...

WIRED is no longer as a result of the key organizer having multiple kids. Other reasons include the Ministry of Forests not permitting commercial events and organized "races". The Sunday slalom series was offically just "a bunch of friends sailing around little floating orange balls tied to the lake bottom" . The previous organizers were also executives on the Nitinat Windsurfing Society. These executives became frustrated with the whole Nitinat thing when the Society was looked over by the government and the local band was handed the maintenance contract.

Getting participants for slalom racing will not be a problem. Just slap a sign up on the notice board of a skippers meeting and you'll get 20+ people on a typical weekend. We might not be as numerous but we should be able to get 5 or 6 formula sailers out.

We've got the marks already. All we need is rope, bricks, and a boat to stick em in the water. Hopefully Zippy will come through for us again.

Steve
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Racing

Post by Bobson »

:D Hey SS, who is Zippy..?? Maybe we can sit down over a beer sometime and hash out what needs to happen and who we can get to help. I'm going over to North Shore Ski and Board so I can talk to them about the May long weekend as they are all going to be there and they'll probably have a jet ski there. I'll let you know how I make out.

I've got every Friday off all summer so I should be there most weekends. I'm thinking we can make up something to post here to keep people appraised of how it going and who's taking part. I'm sure Cam from CoastalBC will put the info on his website too.

Lets get the word out there now so people are aware of it and could possibly start planning weekends. I'm thinking we have races every weekend either of us are up there and possibly some more formalized races on certain weekends....maybe once a month or so..??

Lastly....dude is that you on your avatar..?? NICE!!! :D
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Ya that's me in the Avatar. I don't know how it got there though. I figure it must have been BWD. Good work Dave (or whoever it was) that finally gave me an avatar.

Zippy (aka Glen) is a long time slalom racer. I'll see if I can look him up. He's the guy that has a lot at Nitinat and the cat sailing boat you see at the lake some time.

I've got every second Monday off. Beers sound good. What cha doing tonight? Anyone else?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I like the GPS speed comp idea. Run whatcha brung. Simple. If I can piece together some slalom kit I'd be up for the odd race. Maybe we could toss together a fun/casual freestyle event. I've been working on my hand drags. I'm dying to show'em off...spray flies up and everything.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

How about my wave butt drags, instantaneous enemas and everything, yeah, that's the stuff. I smell radar & video coverage, we could be famous soon Doc :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Doods, don't forget my specialty - splash jibe. I mastered this move and I can show it anytime. I don't teach though, cause technique is top secret designed especially for me in one of the most protected KGB labs.
bean

Post by bean »

My boardless forward is going to blow y'all outta da wata!
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

And I will demonstrate the Scrooge 720!
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Freestyle

Post by Bobson »

Okay, you fella's..... :twisted: I appreciate your freestyle tricks but I'm guessing someone else is going to need to step up and take control of this part of the events at Nitnat this summer as I'm going to concentrate on the Formula racing and I think Steve will take control of the Slalam racing.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these moves demonstrated as well as some good pics taken to confirm the move and then I'm guessing you'll have to be naming your new tricks....HA! :D

I'll hopefully be able to schedule a beer night soon...either next week or the week after to get together and chat about what is possible at Nitnat this year. I don't mind stepping up and taking charge of much of the work that is needed but will need others to step up as well. I believe(on the serious side)that we can make this summer up at Nitnat some fantastic freestyle/racing/slalom fun!! DON'T MISS IT!! :D

I think that we can make either one or all of these events some a fund raising event for this website as it is 'Fan-Flippin-Tastic', you gotta admit BWD does an incredible job !!!!! :!: :!: :!:
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

T-shirts

Post by Bobson »

I'm getting some?? t-shirts made up for this summers racing up at Nitnat. They will have a (hopefully)cool picture and probably some business logo's on it. I'm hoping they will be pretty cheap with some sponsorship input. I'm thinking of charging $5-10 shirt and using the money raised to put towards prizes for the racing series this summer!! Thoughts..?? :idea:

Nitinat Racing

Post by Guest »

Bobson if you want some intel on Nitnat racing events give me a call. Glen Mcnabb has been participating and running events long before most of us even sailed there. After a Lull in activities I helped start Wired with a great group of volunteers and ran it for the first 5 or so years with lots of help. Many of the same people (Glen Mcnabb, Paul Betts, Louise Beaudry (my wife), Brad and numerous others have continued to keep the ball rolling until recently. I can help you with contacts and lots of background call 656-0998 if interested.

Tom V