Best place to stay in Tofino

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Best place to stay in Tofino

Post by AJSpencer »

Hey guys,
I grew up on the island but for whatever reason I’ve never been to Tofino. No good excuse.
Anyways, I’m planning to go now and taking my 14 year old step son along with me. I want to get beginner surf lessons for the both of us, and I want to rent our own separate rooms to give him some freedom and hopefully he can do some exploring on his own, maybe he can meet some kids his age. Probably just staying for 3 days, but haven’t decided yet.
Anyways, with all that in mind, should I look for a place right in Tofino or, looking at the map, somewhere closer to Cox Bay may be a better call?
Any suggestions on a decent place to stay or airbnb orr?
Best business for lessons?
Thanks for any feedback!
Adam
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Depends on your budget, Tofino is about as expensive as Whistler now. If you really can afford a separate > $300 night room for your kid I'm guessing you probably wouldn't need to be asking on this site? Meares Vista Inn is about the only budget accommodation left, it looks bad on the outside (abandoned cars/vans/boats etc) but the owner/manager is nice and they have remodelled most of the rooms inside. Its close to most of the surf shops and Chestermans.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Looking for best bang for buck. Don't have a ton of money. Choosing this trip over buying a new foil and board so hoping to keep total trip around $1500, which looks tight. But decent hotel rates this time of year it looks like. Looking at $100/night each at Middle Beach Lodge right now. Or just a double bedroom for $160 or so. Looks like a nice location and better deal than the airbnbs which are on the East side and more expensive.
Thinking we'll go the SUP surf route instead and hit up MacKenzie beach SUP lessons with tofinopaddlesurf, also do a Tofino Inlet tour with them. Day 3 and 4 maybe trade SUPs for surfboards and give it a go if the waves aren't too nasty.
Anyways, will check out Meares. Thanks!
Adam
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Meares Vista is garbage.

This time of year rates should be good except at Xmas and new years. Since the days are short and cold, I would recomend somewhere with access to a hot tub. Staying somewhere at Mackenzie beach is always good. You are allowed beach fires there.

Tofino paddle surf for SUP and Westside surf school for surfing.
Also I recommend bringing bikes. There is a good bike path from town going to all the beaches great for exploring .
Sandy Beach

West Coast accomodations

Post by Sandy Beach »

Air B&B at Chesterman’s are good from our experience (with kids), including the essential hot tub. Walking distance to beach.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Good call on Chestermans airbnb. Got one booked. Hopefully not -5C and 45knots first week of Feb. :shock:
Thanks guys. Planning surf sup/surf, bringing bikes for exploring, hiking around Tonquin Park. Any other must-dos, please pass along. We didn’t find a place with a hot tub but looks like you can do drop-in at the Best Western hot tubs, so maybe will try that.
AC

Post by AC »

Hearts garden on Chesterman is affordable her name is Dion steps from the beach
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ended up cancelling the airbnb and went with Ocean Village which has hot tub and indoor pool, and is right on MacKenzie, so seemed quite a bit better and about $200 less.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

redbaron wrote:Meares Vista is garbage.
Its not bad inside, really RedBaron, and the owner baked a birthday cake from scratch for one of our party last year; not many places would do that! I had a preference for low rates drilled into me by my parents who grew up in the Depression and loved travelling; they always got the cheapest place so they could stretch their budget and go for longer. I travelled through Mexico and Central America for 7 months on $1000 back in the day. Started with $800 and had to borrow $200 from my parents to make it back. Not for everyone, especially if you have less time and a few extra dollars will deliver a much nicer environment.

I checked out the Ocean Village site and was impressed by their winter rates. Very good bang for buck and almost as cheap as Meares Vista, overall way better. I did the archaeological impact assessment for that development early in my consulting career - maybe late 1980s?
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

they rent hammocks? :?: :D you can sleep with da fishes...no not those fishes :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Spent a few nights at Ocean Village on Mackenzie Beach and Tofino Paddle was right next door, so quick walk along the beach. Mackenzie Beach was a perfect place to learn to SUP surf I think, other than mostly beach break, but still managed to surf right up to the beach a handful of times without hitting sand, so was fun. Te did well for no board experience and I think had a good time.
Good experience being in the water so much. Makes me much more comfortable falling in when windsurfing now.
Ocean Village was just right. Nice place, well run, and happy looking employees. Rooms were nice but no unnecessary stuff, not pretentious.
Almost got stuck due to blasting incident at Kennedy Lake but made it out during the “essential traffic” opening on Friday.
Tofino Paddle provided good equipment and advice.
Definitely recommend the both.
Beautiful area. Will be back.