This Year: 50

Wednesday July 24, 2024 Clover Pt, Kitesurfing
     Wednesday July 24, 2024 Conditions TOW Toys Used:
     Clover Pt, Kitesurfing SSW 17 - 23
    small swell and chop
    1.30 hours Ocean Rodeo Duke 3 5'4"
    Ocean Rodeo Crave HL 12
    Ocean Rodeo Shift Bar (Gen 3) 52cm
    It was an eventful day on the point. I arrived and parked in the hashed lines at the edge of the parking slots near the boathouse. I elected to pump up the 12m and went back to my truck to suit up. While I was doing that I saw a black dog come up to my kite, sniff it, and then proceed to take a long leak on it. Far away and half undressed, there was not much I could do about it so I finished suiting up and then walked up to the dog's owner and informed him of his dog's transgression. There was a half apology and full disbelief about their dog's ability to do what is perfectly natural for dogs to do and sadly no self awareness that they, the owner, are the only one that should be aware of and manage their dog in public spaces. Given how much off leash space there is for dogs from Clover Point all the way to Finlayson Point I wonder if Clover Point itself, for many reasons besides pissing on kites, should be a leashed area for dogs. Anyway, it was not the first time and likely not the last time someone's dog has transgressed my kites but, as a long time dog owner, it is still frustrating that people don't mind their dogs in public spaces. Nonetheless, I had a fantastic day on the water. I made many good gybes, tacks and foot changes. It mostly just worked which was amazing. The wind was strong and steady and filled in deep into the bay. There was some nice swell to ride and the sun came out. Just lovely. I had the windward side of Clover all to myself for my whole session. I went outside to intercept a whale sightseeing boat and waved at their customers. I came in close to shore and did some hard gybe turns near shore and could hear the incredible sound the kite makes coming hard across the wind window. It all felt so good. I came in full of gratitude and feeling that I had let go of the dog politics. When I came in there was no one obviously there to land my kite so I made my way to my landing leash. While I was doing that, from the parking area, Marcelo and Pete made gestures at my truck like I should attend to it quickly. Marcelo came over and landed me and I then realized there was a Victoria bylaw guy looking to ticket me as I was in the hashed line area which is not legit parking. I talked to the bylaw guy and, happily, he cut me some slack as I had just hauled out of the ocean. So I dried off, changed, and then arranged to take the legitimate parking place occupied by the bylaw guy. I went out to pack up my gear and Marcelo asked me for a launch. I gladly obliged and picked up his kite and my left hand suddenly got wet. I looked and it was more dog pee. Yuck. I don't know why all the dogs had so much pee today but my session was book-ended by it and well it was still a great day. Feeling blessed for another super summer session.
    GPS Track: Kiting the peeward side of Clover4:18 PM to 5:34 PM
    Moving Time01:01:35
    Planing Time 00:52:13
    Distance (km)19.5
    Speed (Max/2s/100m knots)17.1 / 17.0 / 16.0
    Number of Turns 49 (63% Planing)
    MAX 2024: 16.8 kt, 72 turns, 75%TOTAL 2024: 592 km, 33.8 hours
    MAX: 18.5 kt, 136 turns, 84%TOTAL: 2,133 km, 117 hours
    Propelled by Russian Dood aka Andrey Vozhakin ©2004-