This Year: 0

Wednesday July 30, 2008 Oldman Dam, Windsurfing
     Wednesday July 30, 2008 Conditions TOW Toys Used:
     Oldman Dam, Windsurfing W 25 - 40
    1 - 3' chop, moguls
    4.00 hours RRD WaveOne S 76L
    Hot Sails Maui Smack 4.3
    Loft Lip 3.5
    That was much needed. My first real day off after almost 4 weeks of 90+ hours work/week, stuck in a hotel in the evenings. Although I had a huge sleep debt I couldn’t resist the forecasted winds. It was the perfect thing to clear my mind and help restore my sanity.

Arrived and immediately rigged the 3.5 – no question on what sail to use! I was OP for a good part of the first hour, and had to come in for frequent breaks to rest and tune the equipment. When things needed adjustment I had a nasty catapult where the wind was temporarily knocked out of me. I was also having trouble keeping the board on the water in the voodoo chop but it became much more controllable after I moved the fin and straps all the way back, the mast almost all the way forward, and the boom up. Having done little exercise the last month was evident; I felt weak and out of practice. The wind came up even more and I had to wait it out…I need a 3.0 and a smaller board. The wind dropped for about an hour, so I got a few runs using the 4.3, but it soon picked up again. When I switched back to the 3.5 the water was flat, which made for amazing speed conditions. That “wave” board is impressively fast: it seems to have no top end. The wind switched to more SW and the chop built enough to provide some good small ramps. I had a few great floaty hops, where the board provided lots of lift. The last hour the 3.5 was perfectly powered, and I was able to control the equipment well enough to complete many gybes, some of them planing quickly the whole way. The wind was still strong as I reluctantly packed up around 7:30.

Solar-heated dashboard bean burritos provided great sustained energy during the day and supplemental floatation during wipeouts.

EC record for Pincher Creek during my session.

19:00 WSW 35 gust 50 kph

18:00 WSW 55 gust 78 kph

17:00 W 46 gust 68 kph

16:00 W 68 gust 80 kph

15:00 NW 39 gust 48 kph

14:00 WNW 48 gust 63 kph
    Propelled by Russian Dood aka Andrey Vozhakin ©2004-