Search found 248 matches

by grantmac
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: RRd firemove 135 vs jp superlightwind with big sails
Replies: 27
Views: 10517

For me I'd want the lighter weight plus foil option.
by grantmac
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am

Only on my bicycle. Tempted by Piper's today but feeling lazy. Might just see about Esquimalt Lagoon, not hopeful though.
by grantmac
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:54 pm

It's an easy carry Maui style, one trip then rig on the beach.
by grantmac
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

If I'm not foiling I do everything in one go. If I'm foiling I do it in Ross Bay so just a short carry. Don't generally go on the other side and frontal stuff like that is hard to spot this far out.
by grantmac
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am

Windjunky wrote:I will try Kombat 114 again on sat looks like a little bit of wind on the cordova bay side
Or bottom of the stairs at Cook. That's where I'm going if the forecast holds true.
by grantmac
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:17 pm

The SLW will plane super early and through lulls better. But as you've noticed it's very technical to sail, like a Formula (because it's close to one). If you want something easier then yeah a Magic Ride, Blast, etc will do it but you will lose some early planing and upwind capability. For me I'd ge...
by grantmac
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes it's the modern shaped one. Long enough to be an easy board to get planing and the inboard strap positions are super easy to get in. I've used it like a windsup in waves a couple of times too. Was going to keep it to teach the kids bit I have too many boards at the moment and hopefully another i...
by grantmac
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:51 am

I have a cheap 130L which could fit the bill and you'd be welcome to test ride. Very easy board and no problem uphauling when I was 210.
by grantmac
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:04 am

Where and how you sail plus body weight makes a difference for sure. I'm 185# and my big board is 122L, I foil with it and ride with a fin down to 5.3m Realistically is a bit big for most days in Victoria and up island, I'd like to replace it with a 110L freestyle/FSW board. The SLW from what I've r...
by grantmac
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:23 pm
Topic: North vs. South Lagoon
Replies: 13
Views: 5098

One thing is certain:
Foil boards of all sorts are opening up lots of new locations. I was tempted to windfoil out of McCauley Point marina, a location you'd never consider on anything but a longboard in the past.
by grantmac
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm

It's a short detour on my commute home plus has minimal kelp. Otherwise I wouldn't call it a prime location.
by grantmac
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

It seems like there is a decent S-SSW many times at the south end before the WSW kicks in. But it doesn't seem to last long. After the WSW starts the north half is much more civilized. Still gusty but less direction shift and perhaps fewer lulls. That day I sailed down to you guys it got progressive...
by grantmac
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:03 am

North vs. South Lagoon

Been foiling mostly on the north end of Esquimalt Lagoon but have joined the crowd on the south side once then yesterday it looked like a massive wind shadow at my usually spot so started from the south end. Is it just me or at the gusts Faaaaaar worse on the south end once the thermal kicks in prop...
by grantmac
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am
Topic: scha-wing
Replies: 42
Views: 19714

Do you think having straps will help with pumping the foil and cranking upwind?
Are you riding goofy on one tack or switching your feet?
by grantmac
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:54 am
Topic: Protective equipment for Victoria winter sailing
Replies: 3
Views: 2355

I get cold easily and then can't warm up. Once my extremities start getting numb my sailing goes to crap but I like to get out all winter. I use a 6mm and it's a touch too thick on the legs. Next one will be 5/4 then possibly throw a 1mm shortie over top. Most guys use a kayaking dry top over their ...