Search found 248 matches

by grantmac
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Windsurf Foiling Discussion
Replies: 146
Views: 63025

Ohhh WindDoc "flog hopping" i presume this is in reference to being a weeee bit underpowered and pumping to a foil only to sink back once you stop? I hope that this minimizing of board volume and length doesnt end the glimmer of hope for a rebirth of the sport at light wind locations, the...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm hoping to be back on the Island permanently this September and I'll be getting out as much as possible. I'd be thrilled to add the Naish to my list of test foils. I'm going to try and demo the new, huge, slingshot wings this summer. The ability to flog your way out opens a lot of launches that j...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 pm

The slingshot definitely rides better setup for constant front foot pressure. Otherwise the back foot is kind of locked in and unable to move for gybes etc (not that I'm flying them). I also don't have back straps since they seem to just get in the way at my level. One thing about foiling is that I ...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 am

You're probably quite a bit lighter than I am, 110L is a borderline sinker for me. The board I foil with is 130L and that feels like about the minimum I'd want. I have the Fwind1 (big wing) for about a year now. Mostly using it in 8-15 with a 7.2m. The bigger sails need more board width to control. ...
by grantmac
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 am
Topic: Rigging question
Replies: 7
Views: 4960

Also release batten tension on the battens with cams when you rig it, then add tension after its fully downhauled.
Bravos are kind of weird that way. Also they break batten tips in my experience.
by grantmac
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm
Topic: Rigging question
Replies: 7
Views: 4960

Don't cut anything. There should be another, similar hole. The mast goes out the bottom one and in the top.
That's how my sailworks NX rigs.
by grantmac
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Life jackets?
Replies: 24
Views: 12348

Taking a mast to the noggin happens, I've had my bell rung even with the helmet. Likewise hitting your ribs during the catapult phase of learning happens and flotation can be the difference between discomfort and damage.
by grantmac
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:02 am
Topic: Life jackets?
Replies: 24
Views: 12348

I use one solo in the winter. But you really need to try it on with your harness, mine works OK with a seat but is totally useless with a waist harness.
A middle ground is an impact vest which doesn't meet the legal requirements for a flotation device, but adds enough to keep you floating.
by grantmac
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:01 am
Topic: Moving in
Replies: 27
Views: 11206

My neck is happy with a two piece carry to the shore, then I flip the board and hold the foil mast while trying to keep from dragging the nose. Both my foil and board are heavy. But I was out last night in 12-15kts with an old Naish 5.5 and having a great time. Early 2000s sails seem built to foil, ...
by grantmac
Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 am
Topic: Source for fin boxes?
Replies: 16
Views: 6361

If anyone needs stuff from fiberglass supply my in-laws live within walking distance. So once I relocate I'd be happy to save anyone shipping.
They are a great shop to deal with, very knowledgeable and worth a walk in if you are going past.
by grantmac
Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 am

Hmm I'd have thought in a westerly that the harbour sensor wouldn't give an accurate reading.
Being steps from the car is a major bonus with foil gear, I still haven't figured out a graceful technique to carry it in one piece.
by grantmac
Mon May 28, 2018 1:49 pm

A steady 12 and flat water is pure bliss on the foil. Wish there was a sensor anywhere near there.
by grantmac
Fri May 25, 2018 8:41 pm

MacDonald is the rest, its unusual for a Scot to have Grant as a first name. Are all the foilers out with kites or are there some pole sailors too? I initially felt like a foil was an accessory to extend my wind range down (it does) but it seems to keep a big board fun into more wind than I initiall...
by grantmac
Fri May 25, 2018 4:48 pm

105L is a sinker for me. Up until recently a foil was something I only used in very light wind, where I am near Bellingham has a thermal of 8-12kts. That takes a lot more than a sub-5m sail at my weight. PWA guys are on 9.5m Pasta: I've been windsurfing just under two years so that definitely wasn't...
by grantmac
Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am

I think I probably go to esquimalt lagoon the most these days. As the guide says the earlier you go the more SW it is and the less gusty. As the day rolls on it often swings more offshore and gusty. A lot of my days there I'll ride for 15 minutes then my kite will Hindenburg and I'll spend 5 drifti...