Search found 59 matches

by tbrown
Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: windsurfing - flat water for gybing practice? (Victora)
Replies: 9
Views: 4192

windsurfing - flat water for gybing practice? (Victora)

Driving out to Gordon's on Monday I just about stopped and tried to figure out how to get down to whiffen spit, it looked ideal as a practice area for carve gybes... looked like 20+ knots blowing on to the spit and smooth flat water behind it. Am I wrong? It isn't listed in the sailing guide, and th...
by tbrown
Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:34 pm
Topic: windsurfing - self recue techniques
Replies: 13
Views: 5283

you wouldn't need to take it off the top of the sail... the boom is broken. just loosen or detach the outhaul, unclamp it at the mast, slide it down to the mast base and then manipulate it so the mast comes out the broken part. flip it, put it back on via the same method, slide it back up and re-rig...
by tbrown
Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:02 am
Topic: windsurfing - self recue techniques
Replies: 13
Views: 5283

windsurfing - self recue techniques

my apologies if this is already on the site... I broke a boom a couple of hours ago and limped back using the outhaul to tie the (leach end) of the boom in place. (reversing the boom (e.g. upside down) seemed like it would be difficult, and I saved it for a backup option, but having seen the video I...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:49 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Propane firepits ALLOWED at Nitnat
Replies: 15
Views: 5105

and if you don't set the rules so you have a tool to use against the idiots, then what?
by tbrown
Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm
Topic: Nitinaht 2015: Road/Camp updates
Replies: 55
Views: 15407

I don't want to argue, but IMHO the road is still pretty badly surfaced at the youbou end and somewhat washboarded at the nitnat side. Yes, the middle is fairly good, but this judge wouldn't score it a 10. One of these days I'm going to take a can of spray paint and spray that damn rock after the fi...
by tbrown
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:30 pm

firepit / firebowl

hhmm, I am planning to stay overnight tomorrow (friday night), will bring my propane firepit ... didn't use it last time as everyone else had campfires. Not the same warmth as a real fire, but good enough for marshmellows and talking etc. http://www.outlandfirebowl.com/wp-content/themes/outland/imag...
by tbrown
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 pm

How's the road? Any updates? last sunday the road was largely as nanmoo described (rough, packed and worn, but no potholes), but they were working on it. I passed at grader at one point (closer to nitnat than youbou), and sections that the grader had done varied from butter smooth to great wide gra...
by tbrown
Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:47 am
Forum: Comments and Suggestions
Topic: Thanks for the feedback ...
Replies: 15
Views: 12103

Still don't know they existed on BWD, show's you how big the site is and how much info it provides for a service run by donations! scroll down under the webcam displays, there's generally a tide chart below... useful to check whether you're looking at tide against wind at some sites... like island ...
by tbrown
Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am

tbrown wrote:Any word on wifi at the village store?
I should update this. The cafe has wifi now. In theory it is $5 for 30 minutes, but apparently they don't enforce the time limit... latency is not good (600ms).

And Pat makes a damn good hamburger (not a cheap one though). -Tom
by tbrown
Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:22 am
Topic: 2015 Nitinaht Lake Fees and Politics
Replies: 82
Views: 24486

a) I'm far from a rich bastard. (no new gear, no new vehicle, lots of compromises). If camp fees are really that big a deal, park and camp outside the park. Keep in mind that the park fees are likely one of the few sources of revenue for the band members. There are two sides to that coin... but few ...
by tbrown
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 am

a) do you really fuss about leaving a tip at a restaurant? It is small change... if you can't keep the big ticket items and the small change items separate, you're going to be on information overload and never have a chance to plan/think ahead. (Perhaps that's a bad example, in theory a tip is a rew...
by tbrown
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Moderate Wind Mateo wrote:Cann't take it anymore without saying ...
yeah, same talk, different year: BWD said it well: "first world problem"
by tbrown
Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Has anyone tried driving around to the south side of caycuse river... looks like a couple minutes on mainline carmanah, south rd, and rosander main would get you close to the south side of the river mouth... elevation is about 40m :( [from google earth] distance is about 0.6 km assuming you can park...
by tbrown
Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:15 pm
Topic: Where to get sail battens??
Replies: 2
Views: 1059

AFAIK, the answer is "nowhere nearby". You can order batten stock from places like sailworks.com ... but if you're a little more verbose in your description of what you need, I'm pretty sure you'll find there are folks here that can supply what you need from scavenged battens out of old sa...
by tbrown
Mon May 25, 2015 9:52 am
Topic: Rigging and IMCS tests?
Replies: 29
Views: 6173

looks easy enough to repeat... assuming this is accurate:
http://www.tushingham.com/windsurfing/p ... parameters

... just a 30 kg weight at midpoint? That would get you an IMCS number, for however much that is worth. -Tom