Search found 59 matches

by tbrown
Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:14 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Nitinaht 2014: Road/Camp updates
Replies: 85
Views: 22633

more from Jessica McKierahan

I asked Jessica a follow up question about how new sites are selected, and got a fairly simple 5 page word document back... as well as: Also for your information, the fees at Nitinat have been finalized at: Camping in a site $15 Camping in a premium site $17 Camping on the beach $10 Day-use $5 So it...
by tbrown
Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Sorry, I hate being verbose, but don't really want to post Jessica's answer out of context. She pointed out that the transfer HAS taken place. The land IS Ditidaht owned. ... which of course puts the nitnat site in a completely different context than all the other FRS sites. The inquiry: Date: Fri, ...
by tbrown
Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:54 pm

looking through that interim agreement... I'm surprised how small the parcels of land are... the Ditidaht aren't getting a huge chunk of land, in fact the FSR site takes up a chunk of the Malachan parcels ... the Doobah chunk is 350 hectares, nothing to sneeze at. But the Malachan parcels only total...
by tbrown
Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 am

Anyone know anyone who would be interested in putting in a competing bid for maintaining the facilities/site? It seems to me that would be the logical alternative. I've spent a few minutes going through previous threads and this certainly has been going on forever. KUS's "There's a lot of histo...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: 1st world crises, it seems to me ... And do these folks whine about the how unfair the system is? There's a huge difference between CHOOSING to be a cheap bugger, and railing against the system. Never mind that there may be other reasons for picking a quieter, less busy, less policed space. (ne...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 am

Wow... classic #firstworldproblems lol Well put. All the points (both sides) are valid, but if you're blowing $50 on gas to get there, is a $10 parking fee really the end of the world? Never mind the $$ you spent on your gear? Especially when there's no wind down here (Vic). By the same token, wher...
by tbrown
Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: found a mast extension
Replies: 1
Views: 1363

A russian guy by the name of Vlad that has been sailing a little 120l bright yellow board (at elk lake) said he lost something last week. (this was from Thursday.) I can't remember if it was the base or the extension. I think he said base, but he had his terminology mixed up. Sorry, I don't have con...
by tbrown
Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:58 am
Forum: Directions to Island Sailing Spots
Topic: Directions to Nitinat - with photos
Replies: 17
Views: 14803

Tbrown. Sorry that you found the directions confusing. No, this wasn't your fault. This was my lack of prep, and over-trust of my phone. If I had printed off your instructions I would have been fine. (or even copied the PDF to my phone.) Add this to the many stories of idiots blindly following thei...
by tbrown
Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 am

yeah. sigh. follow the vehicles that aren't there...

< stealth mode, you can't see me ... I drank too much cider :) >

FOLLOW THE printed INSTRUCTIONS, DO NOT TRUST YOUR TECH GEAR.
by tbrown
Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 pm

yeah. sigh. I'll go dive back in to the cider. Did get look at the Jordan River and find Gordon's Beach on the return trip... sigh... https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=from:+Youbou,+BC,+Canada+to:+nitnat+lake,+BC+Canada frig... I can't get it to display the path it was showing an hour...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:01 pm

any chance of ??

edited/rewritten... I totally botched this. I followed a maps.google.com path that didn't match the described one, and then bitched that Mike's directions didn't match what I saw :( Having not actually gotten there, I'm not sure the destination in the images below is correct, but hopefully posting t...
by tbrown
Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm
Topic: Dyneema / Spectra ?
Replies: 3
Views: 1062

gah, I just drove by there ... a couple hours ago. Didn't know there was a west marine there (not sure how I missed it). THANKS!
by tbrown
Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:36 pm
Topic: Dyneema / Spectra ?
Replies: 3
Views: 1062

Dyneema / Spectra ?

Is there a place in Victoria (area) to get 4 or 5 mm Spectra for some low friction downhaul lines? I got some 1/8" (3mm?) at TroTac, but it seems a little thin (doesn't cleat well), and their next size was too big at 1/4". -Tom
by tbrown
Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:42 am
Topic: First trip to Nitnat, what do I need to know?
Replies: 19
Views: 5251

How many folks are there? e.g. are you constantly dodging other sailors on the weekends? Are there at least a couple other sailors during the week-day? Sorry to be so ignorant :) :( [I might be able to make an overnight trip during the week.]