Search found 245 matches

by grantmac
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Input from all interested users please. ROW in waves
Replies: 26
Views: 10562

So how do you deal with that person who parks and grabs wave after wave without a care for anyone else? Especially when they stay upwind and closest to peak of basically every set because their equipment allows them to do it?
by grantmac
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:46 am
Topic: Input from all interested users please. ROW in waves
Replies: 26
Views: 10562

I see those broken all the time. Especially flying kites over windsurfers, that's why I hate passing to leeward.
Boosting onto waves isn't mentioned but should be strictly forbidden unless the entire area is empty.
by grantmac
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 pm
Topic: Localism
Replies: 28
Views: 13917

Closest to peak is kinda garbage for priority since a kiter can seemly "ride" a lump from way offshore, or in the case that happened to me recently just boost onto the wave I was already riding landing closer to the peak than I was. Probably that guys 30th wave of the day and my 2nd, had m...
by grantmac
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:19 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Windsurfing in Victoria?
Replies: 6
Views: 3575

Ross Bay is definitely foil heaven.

Cook st can be like the Gorge at times but usually way choppier. Generally the thermal starts up further West and moves into town as the season progresses. Too cold for that right now but this season the westerlies usually come with some big swell out west.
by grantmac
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: Wingfoiling Progression
Replies: 272
Views: 83256

For me learning the wing with a skateboard worked very well because the rolling resistance is not dissimilar to being on the foil where pushing a board through water is much more. Less walking up wind and can do it at night.
by grantmac
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:16 am
Topic: Wingfoiling
Replies: 353
Views: 100932

He's using a sewn one that fits in some sort of bag on his belt then deploys if tugged on.
by grantmac
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:40 pm
Topic: Wingfoiling
Replies: 353
Views: 100932

I think prone paddling a smaller wing board will be easier. Any size is easier and warmer than dragging windsurfing kit. Both safer than self rescue on a kite. Alan Cadis is working with a sea anchor that deploys when you fall off. He figures its safer than having the board attached in a big wave. I...
by grantmac
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Topic: Windsurfing in Victoria?
Replies: 6
Views: 3575

Always choppy and gusty at Cook St (I was windsurfing there yesterday) so it's just more fun on the foil (which I also do).

However I am one of those who drive out west or north to chase waves with a fin over foiling in town.
by grantmac
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:26 pm
Topic: Spin-out problems
Replies: 8
Views: 3457

Clearly I need to pick a better sarcasm emoji.

Likely both boards will be used as thrusters or quads most of the time with a possible try as a twin.
by grantmac
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:37 pm
Topic: Spin-out problems
Replies: 8
Views: 3457

Spin-out problems

Think I've got a solution to the spin out problems I've been having 8)
by grantmac
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 am

My car space is limited so I disassemble everything. Also had poor experience with aluminum foils being left together.
Adds perhaps 5 minutes on each end of a session which I don't mind, gives me a bit of time to watch the conditions and decide which wing to pump.
by grantmac
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:45 am

https://youtu.be/g0etT71d6AM I like the ease of that start. Footstraps look like an advantage there. I think straps and a small board are mandatory along with possibly a foil that is neutral or negatively buoyant. The movement seems similar to a waterstart in that you tuck the feet under. It seems ...
by grantmac
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:18 pm

by grantmac
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:01 am

Do you think with enough practice a sinker will be easier to deal with in chop? How much more wind do you think it takes? At least one video I saw the person had the board on it's side while they had the wing in their hands flying then used the wing to get on top of the board. I definitely noticed t...
by grantmac
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:57 am
Topic: Proposed Clover Point upgrades from city of victoria
Replies: 18
Views: 8893

If they block it then pretty much the stairs will be the only windsurf access (non foiling) which is kind of a pain.

I'd like to see them put in some work on the stairs to allow better beach access, specifically something wide enough so that people's dogs don't knock you down while carrying gear.