Search found 225 matches

by eastside
Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:28 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Impact vest advice please, and Merry Christmas
Replies: 12
Views: 2949

Buy a yellow one so that your rescuers can see you.
by eastside
Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: A fun session today
Replies: 6
Views: 2388

Definitely Golden Helmet worthy. Extra funny 'cause it was in the neighbour's driveway. I guess that's why they have fences.
by eastside
Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: What Adolf thinks of the latest drama
Replies: 22
Views: 8368

still laughing.....hit all the bases :lol:
by eastside
Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:58 pm
Topic: Ideal Windsurf / Kiting Vehicle?
Replies: 456
Views: 121288

Awesome. I have serious van envy. I didn't look too closely when I saw the link and I figured this was a generic bwd van, not "the" BWD's van. YOLO. Neat feature to give you the extra width to sleep sideways. Van Specialties in Portland does a great job(if it is still the same outfit doing...
by eastside
Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:34 pm
Topic: kiteboarding accidents / safety tips
Replies: 291
Views: 147719

DS is down in Paracaru, Brazil. I asked him what he knew: "I did hear about this terrible accident because I was windsurfing the day it happened. I never saw anything, because I am usually a little further down the line then the kiters. Less busy and less chance of traffic or collision. Also, t...
by eastside
Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm
Topic: New wide boards: Gecko, Firemove etc
Replies: 51
Views: 16116

I thought I would wind this topic up with a review of the Firemove, even though it seems to have turned into a ski thread. Best thing is that KC could even use it in small waves at Tribune Bay as tune up for his Oregon Coast trip. I tried David M's 110 Firemove and thoroughly enjoyed it. It took abo...
by eastside
Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm
Forum: Weather Talk
Topic: Session Logs
Replies: 15
Views: 5882

I'd say the tendency is to over report the wind strength. I compare to the light house reports as that has to be your max most of the time. I also factor in what board and sail I am on and how it is tuned. It can never be that accurate over a couple of hours so I don't think it is worth worrying abo...
by eastside
Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm
Topic: Getting outside of the breakers
Replies: 23
Views: 6294

Consider getting a SUP with a mast track or even a big floaty board with centre straps. My old Carve 120 had centre staps. That should give you way more days to practise so when you get a good day you will be on it. Start posting your sessions so we get a feel for the location. I would like to go ou...
by eastside
Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 pm
Topic: Ideal Windsurf / Kiting Vehicle?
Replies: 456
Views: 121288

That would be fun in Florence!
by eastside
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 pm
Topic: Kite Boarding at Kanaha
Replies: 7
Views: 2127

It doesn't hurt to let the regulators in Hawaii know that their decisions will impact tourism and employment, although many of the residents don't seem to care about that. They would be happier if you stayed home, once they get there. When you read reports like this you realize how lucky we are to l...
by eastside
Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 pm
Topic: Drift from piper's to gabriola on October 27
Replies: 42
Views: 10296

Bad situation for you aquaman but hopefully you will be at it again soon. And it sounds like some good will come of this mix up. It would be tough to tow anyone in at Pipers once they were too far down wind. This would be about the time an observer figured there was a problem. 2 people being rescued...
by eastside
Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 pm
Topic: Storm Riding, YOU and ME!!
Replies: 44
Views: 13563

I tried the Navi Light after I got worked at LB and it had stopped working too. It revived itself later but by then I would have been crab bait. I wanted an LED safety light but may have to go back to a regular one. Anybody have any good ideas.
by eastside
Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 pm
Topic: New wide boards: Gecko, Firemove etc
Replies: 51
Views: 16116

Good concept I would say. Tail rocker makes it easier and more forgiving to turn. Issue would be the width I would say, although I have read that bigger guys are using them for waves. You might want to consider a Fanatic Skate as you like the Fanatics. People in the forums seem to be using them as f...
by eastside
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:17 pm
Topic: Dropped in on; Maui.
Replies: 18
Views: 4508

I was in Maui last February and I was surprised that it wasn't more crowded. Generally people were respectful and followed the rules. Lots of good kiters would make a quick turn onto my wave and then rip down the line ahead of me then flick off somewhere else. Cool as far as I was concerned. Most ex...
by eastside
Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm
Topic: Storm Riding, YOU and ME!!
Replies: 44
Views: 13563

This thread motivated me to buy a waterproof, floating, led light, and a whistle. I have a pull over kite vest from Pro Motion in the Gorge. The vest is extremely comfortable and I don't notice it on. I get slack and don't wear it in the summer. It does provide a bit of extra warmth in the winter to...