Sailing break to heal the body, alternative fun??

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Sailing break to heal the body, alternative fun??

Post by KUS »

So I'm trying to come to grips with my getting injured perhaps more often than I used to. Is it my age, getting cocky at my sports, being stupid, bad luck, incompetence, a combination thereof :?:
Been sailing (skiing/boarding, mountain biking, playing team sports, recently kiting, driving my other hi risk activities) for many years now. Usually injuries range from dislocated fingers to bruises, sprained/strained this or that, my latest compound nose fracture thoroughly documented. The last one noteworthy because of its horror-show beach effects but also due to its irony since it was the first time out in relatively mellow waves after sailing some Oregon monsters during a first-time coastal trip (there I merely impacted my lower leg ligaments without actually breaking any bones) :roll:

It is this recent irony and escaping from these activities to help me heal up, do some crosstraining and re-focus that lead me to the lake again this weekend (Beaver Lake just after Lake Cowichan). Been building a mountain bike trail there for a few years now, just using hand tools, almost circling the whole lake except for one last section that has a peninsula on its path.

So here is our trail builder, after another long trail building session in the woods the day prior, after a hearty breakfast exploring via kajak where the last section will join. He paddles to roughly the center of the last section, scrambles ashore and to the ridge for about 150M through crappy, thick forest and underbrush, fallen/felled logs and branch debris to get a better glimpse. Can't see dick-all off the peninsula :evil: (not what I was hoping for) and only the sounds of some other lake swimmers echoing in the background 1/2 mile away. I turn to go back as I hear some cracking sounds standing on my log in the brush....probably a deer or bear. I clap my hands, yodel as it were to make some noise :wink: this has been my motto in the past, the bears will run, the cougar will know where I am but knows I have healthy lungs and be scared. More cracking. I see the shiny rear quarters of a bear :shock: less than 40 yds off. Midsize, maybe 250-350, but damn healthy looking, sparkling black, he merely glances over his shoulder at me before he makes his exit into the underbrush. Thump thump thump..... Yesssssss, he is ambling away and for the first time (after my pulse comes below 150) I take real stock: I am wearing flip flops, a beer logo t-shirt, shorts (no sox), "LOSER!!" screams the headline....I have no helmet, whistle, bear spray, weapon (at least building the trail I had a shovel, saw, axe, adze and my bike with helmet, sturdy riding boots/runners) :? I am about 3 minutes or 150m as the crow flies from the water, no building, person, road, car, large rock, large tree nearby. I figure: HOW FRIGGEN STUPID ARE YOU??? OK, let's get the f@#k outta here slowly, follow the damn procedure and for good measure I clap my hands a couple of more times as I amble down from my perch....

All I see next is BLACK BEAR flying through the brush into the open area coming straight for me at full speed!! closing fast!!! All I manage is a "NOOOOOOOO" at mid volume, barely stammering it, summary of many lightning thoughts that barely break the surface of the main one of utter fear: "no place to hide, no decent tree to climb and this bad boy will have my ass so fast going up a tree it's not worth a try anyway"....total panic, total fear, can't run in flip flops, no weapon AT ALL (bear spray and bad-ass wrist-leash knife safe in my van, back at the ranch), all my bear avoidance training, all those videos of what to do/how to do it/what to bring into the bush, the odd nature sighting and parking lot/dumpster viewings through auto glass seems long ago :( there was nothing but "OOOOOOOHHHH NOOOOO"....

He comes to a screaching halt upon my expert "NOOOOOO" communications, maybe 20 yds away, huffing, bouncing. I know I just witnessed a mock charge....the last step in a sequence of the real thing, a full charge, a mauling. Yes, black bears are the least predictable, known man eaters who also stalk humans but usually are harmless and scared of humans.....unless THE FRIGGEN HUMAN IS WEARING FLIP FLOPS AND CLAPS HIS HANDS LIKE SOME MORON :!:
No more Mr. Nice Guy :evil: I take charge. I retreat. Down to the water at a 45 degree angle away and downhill, one eye over my shoulder, mumbling "good bear, nice bear, ....MR. Bear to me of course...." in superbly trained low, non-aggressive tones. Once near the water I feel a bit safer but can't find the f$%*ing kayak. "Great, give him a fighting chance to catch up with me afterall, nice! or maybe I'll cut across his companions en route across the peninsula, maybe wander right into his den area, won't that be a hoot" :roll: I finally spot it, practically launching myself into it to get off the beach, not taking my eye off the forest behind me....which explains why I almost get de-manned by the paddle in the process. Some forest trail-building, no nonsense hardcore weekend warrior :oops: 10 yards offshore I start to breathe again, feeling returns to my lips.

I make it back, rinse all the cuts and nicks on my legs, feet, arms from brushing through the forest. "No, I don't wanna talk about it honey, yes, I know I'm a bit pale.....not yet....okay, now: HOLY SHIT!!!" Gasp. Gasp......

No stoke for another ride that day, really. No want to even suck back more than a sixpack in 10 minutes.....What a shame, my woodsman explorations will never be the same. To think I camped by myself, logged by myself, did tree surveys in huge cutblocks, biked all alone all the time. All done now .....unless I got an M16 or a few buddies along .....who can't run as fast as me 8)

Soooo, how was your sailing this weekend :?: Hope nobody got hurt :? I'm re-stocking the horse shoes in my arse tonight yet....Free Safety Tip: Don't go hiking in the forest in flip flops :roll: Now, where are those new sunnies....
Last edited by KUS on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

awesome story kus, he probably just got close enough to see you are all gristley so went to find some tender berries. does this mean you wont finish the bike trail?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Awww, Kus, you could have made history. As far as I know, there has NEVER been a bear attack on Vancouver Island (ditto the Charlottes). Dunno if its the genetic makeup or what, statistically there should have been lots. Sounds absolutely terrifying!

A VERY aggressive big male near Ahousaht once had me thinking I was #1. No charge, but it came out of the bush and ambled right up to us, jaws clacking, foaming copiously at the mouth, glowering at us, head waving, and generally sharing very bad vibes. There was 4 of us and 2 cans of bearspray (orange tabs off and fingers on the trigger!). After threatening us for a short time (probably only 30 seconds), he slowly ambled away. That was cause for lots of adreneline, but nothing compared to the full-on charge you just experienced!
JL

Post by JL »

Frightening cross training Kus. You need to track down the Bear song from a Jimmy Buffet life album, it would make a great soundtrack for a Kus adventure video !!!
Thermals are good.
Rob Creese

flip flop

Post by Rob Creese »

Whoa man, that makes horrible kitemares seem tame. i wonder if the reason there are no document attacks from black bears on Vancouver Island is because no one has been left standing to tell the tale. did you wet yourself? You can tell us, it would be understandle.
Rc
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote: does this mean you wont finish the bike trail?
Not going back in there without bearspray, proper attire, weaponry and some guys for moral support.....I might ride again tho, afterall a bike is great protection :roll: maybe it's time for another big shepherd for a buddy
more force 4 wrote:Awww, Kus, you could have made history. As far as I know, there has NEVER been a bear attack on Vancouver Island (ditto the Charlottes).
Thanks....I love stats, hate to be one tho, especially one that starts with "moronic flipflop wearing tourist-like outdoorsman who shouldda known better...." :oops: the only things missing were a pink K-way, huge lens camera and some raw meat to feed the bear with.....
Rob Creese wrote: i wonder if the reason there are no document attacks from black bears on Vancouver Island is because no one has been left standing to tell the tale. did you wet yourself? You can tell us, it would be understandle. Rc
:lol: nope but maybe that was next if he'd gotten any closer; yer theory about left standing might be a good one, wonder how many people "go missing" on the island during hikes....being all alone without anyone hearing me scream even made this much scarier....any help would have been mucho too late :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.