SnowKiting on the island?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

SnowKiting on the island?

Post by Teabag »

Does anyone know of a good spot ON the island for snowkiting?

I have hiked a couple of mountains in the last couple of months (5000ft+), and was thinking that there might be a "dream spot" on a frozen lake or an open space out there for snow kiting? (in strathcona park, during Dec-May)

I guess trying to find a steady wind will be the biggest challenge, as for access, as long as it is less than a 6 to 8 hours hike, I think it is well worthed.
If you know of any spot on the island, please tell me!!!

Thanks, Ian
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

The whole Saanich peninsula was good for snowkiting 1 week ago. But seriously, I have been looking myself without any luck. I am considering an excursion to the Arrowsmith area as road access may bring you to good altitudes.
There also is a clear cut near the Mt Washington x-country area.
Let me know if you find something.

Chris[/quote]
extremekindness Erik

Comox Glacier!

Post by extremekindness Erik »

Hey all!

Comox Glacier seems like a good go. There is always snow and it is really exposed. I haven't done it but don't see how it couldn't be great.

Have an awesome day!

EKE
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hurricane Ridge? (small kites!) My son used to go winter camping, snow caves and such, there. High enough for lots of snow, 4x4 ? road access, surprisingly close to Victoria (just above Jordan River?) Someone else who's been there chime in.
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

How do you get to Hurricane Ridge or Comox Glacier?

Chris
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:roll: Google it, dood. Glacier a bit of a hike :lol: Hurricane Ridge http://www.hurricaneridge.net/ sounds like it might work tho but the American Parks people are likely a bit sticky about some guy running a kite near their ski area I bet. Access right from the road, you need a parks pass and gotta buck up for the ferry and overnight :roll: as departure times suck in winter from Vic. Also the 3-4 week refit window is coming up soon in late January I think where the ferry won't run.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/olym/cams/hu ... dgecam.htm shows a nice field of snow just waiting for ya 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Thanks Kus. I thought Hurricane Ridge was on the other side, but what was the place MF4 talked about near JR?

Chris
asscrack

snowkiting

Post by asscrack »

check this link not the island but woowwwwwww! http://www.semnozkitesurfing.com/data_htm_en/set_en.htm :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Sorry, meant to say San Juan Ridge, not Hurricane Ridge :oops: :oops: :!:
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

OK, same question I guess, how do I get to San Juan Ridge? (tried Google Earth, just showed some spot in the Caribbean)

Chris
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

It is above Jordan River, but I talked to Roger and he says there are some big open high cutblocks that might work, but it isn't above the treeline anywhere (sorry, my mistake, from what I remembered from his photos there was alpine/subalpine). Your probably back to Strathcona area or COmox Glacier.

Or Hurricane Ridge, sound not too $ if you bus it:

The bus leaves the Vern Burton Center (on Fourth Street, just west of Peabody Street) in Port Angeles at 9:00 a.m. and Hurricane Ridge at 4:15 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. A round trip ticket costs $5.00 and, in an effort to reduce traffic congestion at Hurricane Ridge, park entrance fees are waived for all snow bus riders.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Theres some pics somewhere in the gallery of guys trying to kite Lake Mackenzie, for a reliably frozen lake on the island that’s near a road its probably your best bet. Ive ski toured across that lake wishing for a kite! Battleship lake is a bit closer but not so big.

heres the map (forbidden plateau .pdf)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... ml#parkmap
Teabag

thanks a lot

Post by Teabag »

I ll try the Helen Mackenzie lake and give news about it. It is only an hour to an hour and a half hike from the parking lot (summer time). Maybe 2 in snowshoes.

I think it would be great sharing feedback from hiking experiences about possible snowkiting places.

UVic Outdoor club are going to kings peak next week end (which is second in the Top Ten Ski/Snowboard descent in the Book Island Turns & Tours/backcoutry skiing and snowboarding, there might be some good spot there to.

If im not going to Kings peak next week end Ill probably try the lake and give news about it (hopefully it will be frozen).

Thanks for all your advices and feedback.
Oh yeah, a special thanks for the link that you sent --> http://www.semnozkitesurfing.com/data_htm_en/set_en.htm
click video section and watch the:
Please don't do that IV !!!! (fourth video down)

How can a kite lift them like that? Its like if they float in the air, I have never seen that before, can a inflated kite do that to?

Can we buy those kind of kites on the island or in Vancouver?
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

keep us posted on how it is.

btw, the guy looks like he is floating because there is an updraft against the hill. Yes, inflatable kites can do that too. It's not the kite, it's the conditions, and the user.

cheers :)
Vive et Ama
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I heard that ppl take snowmobile's up glaciers for day kiting trips, on the mainland.
Not sure where, but there'd be lots to choose from.
Sounds like a good business to get into.
Hey then on no wind days you could do that ski-parachute thing.
Man we live in a cool place!