Getting Started

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KayakDoc

Getting Started

Post by KayakDoc »

I am looking for a way to get started kite boarding in Victoria. I have just returned from a week of lessons at the Kite House in Key West. I have my own gear. Any suggestions regarding good beginner sites, further instruction and meeting other beginer kiter’s would be greatly appreciated.
Chiclets

Post by Chiclets »

Hi KayakDoc,
I'm new to the sport and looking to meet other beginners as well. I've heard Island View is a good location for beginners to practice. I took lessons last summer in Portugal and through Strong Kiteboarding at Nitinaht Lake http://www.strongkiteboarding.com/. I'm itching to get out...

Chiclets
Cj

Post by Cj »

Hey there! watch for SE at island view. A bit rare this time of year but it happens. The beach there is nice and long, sandy too and when the tide is low easy launch from the beach side of danger. Hit Nitnat when you have a chance, the wind there is your friend and though the beach can be a bit hairy at least you know what the wind is going to do. Also avoid cook st until you feel confident launching and landing, there is just not enough room to fuc up and shit can go bad, i've seen (done) it! But all in all vics no key west but we do hold down some amazing kiting and good people to help out. NEVER be afraid to ask locals questions or help out with things. Be safe!!! More and more people are finding the serenity of kiting and good on them, but if somone gets hurt bad it could wreck it for all of us. have fun, it's only the begining!!!
somebody said " go fly a kite".
JL

Post by JL »

Here is a link to a 'thread' with more links to more 'threads'. I hope this is helpful: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2072
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hi(gh)
Thanks for all the well-balanced, considered newbie advice and invitations. :D Having spent the last few days reviewing the websites and advice of the responders to my request for getting going I am 1) nervous :shock: and 2) still very excited about kiting :lol: . I appreciate the advice (especially regarding safety and ego) and hope that anyone with further thoughts, insights, considerations, anecdotes, etc, will keep them coming. If any other newbie’s wish to gosling out lets connect, talk, watch and maybe even launch (chicklets?).
Kayak Doc.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi KayakDoc and Chiclets, I am looking to meet other beginers as well and I am probably going to Nitinat Lake, this Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Can you guys go upwind? If not we can take turns on the water, helping each other walking back. I have lots of used kites that I don't mind sharing.

Anyway, my phone number is 294-9958
Ian
Chiclets

Post by Chiclets »

Hey Teabag & Kayakdoc,
Unfortunately, I can't go to the lake this weekend. Going up wind is still a bit of a challenge for me. But certainly willing to help each other out. I've got my own equipment with a 13m kite. I'll give you a call Teabag.

Here's my number 888-5785
Rick
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Hi Teabag and Chiclets.
I am not sure if I can make it to Nitnat this weekend either, but I would also like to get kiting. I have my own gear. Let’s talk. My number is 391-4547.
Cheers, Phil.
AC

ac

Post by AC »

For the beginners,.
To make shure you bar is tuned or the lines are all even
while your depower strap if fully extended.
Cheers
JL

Post by JL »

AC means your front lines are made as SHORT as possible by DEPOWERING @ the center strap. If in doubt shorten your front lines @ the kite as well. Don't launch hooked in unless you have a punch out (or similar) & know how (& are prepared to) deploy it.
Thermals are good.
AC

Kitebars

Post by AC »

are like the bars on a bike .
you dont want to ride with your bars sideways.
I would rather tune my bar so the kite is a little underpowered
than over powered.

Here is a Tip.
Leading edge to the middle lines
back lines to the steering,or back.

A good way to remember is to say to your self.
out back. outer lines to the back.