water assist at nitnat

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

mortontoemike wrote: And MF4. What's sa matter with mature women? There's some pretty hot 50+ windsurfing women at Nitinat. :wink: :wink:
I heartily agree!
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

I did some kitesurfing then went back to windsurfing. I'm glad I learned the basics of kiting because I am not intimidated by them any more. I like to sail upwind just past the kiters, zip around for a while, then do a blazing downwinder back to the beach for a break. I can easily go wherever I want to. I watch out for the newbies (they stand out pretty obviously), make eye contact with other sailors, and generally keep as aware as I can. I'm thinking that if windsurfers were to get to the bodydrag stage of kiting and kiters got to the streak out wipe out and try to get back stage windsurfing we'd all appreciate one another and do just fine. Maybe when conditions were less than perfect we could swap. Or it could be a good thing to do with old gear. Bring it along for cross- discipline experience.
And those 50 year old windsurfing ladies? Just right for 50 year old guys; ya whippersnapper. Don't forget their daughters and sons are now about 20....life is good!
FUN
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

if your wife or lovely girlfriend get lost at lake far away so would hubby or boyfriend do rescue to them ? impossible ! seadoo is rescue key for what everyone need ! or if u are old man and get lot exhausted to feel alike to ride seadoo so last year larry <old> couldnt make back shore and we found him by bincolar then tell seadoo rescuers to get him so he save lots exhauste situation
2 or 3 beers or 5 bucks are still cheap for rescue service than stay there overnite till next day they got blue skins so which one u wanna to be ? lol 8)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

ok, forget the 5 (five) bucks, that's 70's currency for favors :roll: barely buys two beers, never mind fuel. How much is the hike (or worse) worth to ya?? Let's see at least the equivalent of a Johnny Mac or a green Queenie :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Barb W

rescue

Post by Barb W »

There are ways to self rescue when WS gear fails. I'm not sure about kite self rescue, is it possible? It's not easy limping in on broken gear or towing someone else in; a boat is a welcome sight when things are not going well. I would gladly pay a few $ & beer. But, I do agree with MTM. When they are back and forth for the body drag lessons all day, STINKY fumes and noise really change the ambience of the place. It's unfortunate that a motorized boat is necessary to learn kite boarding.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Galeltic wrote: 2 or 3 beers or 5 bucks are still cheap for rescue service than stay there overnite till next day they got blue skins so which one u wanna to be ? lol 8)
Picture of 3 old men (like that geezer Larry) who didn't get rescued.
Attachments
BMG.jpg
BMG.jpg (77.51 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
Last edited by mortontoemike on Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
AC

um

Post by AC »

Wow i had no idea so many people would care about such a little thing.
I only intended to make people aware that i would do the service if anything happens to anyone.

For the few learning kiteboarders that wish to learn at the lake.

There are a lot of people on the lake that you should be aware of.
Like most people said about helping each other. I think most peoples eyes are always open and when someone sees someone struggling
they try and help weather it is on a Kite,Winsurfer,or Motor Craft.
Over the years the population grew enencly ,Now When the wind is at
full I try to limit the amount of runs and do watch the activity
on the water"I Will not cause any risk to anyone and All of my students are under control before we even hit the water.

Also I actually save peoples lives on the beach I can tell
how a kite is tuned and working if the rider is not doing someting right
in seeing distance. Having Marry and I on the beach is an asset
and should be looked at before not letting us make kiteboarding as our lives.

I still can not figure out why g wind tryed to piss me off.
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

Probably lonely, drunk, his wife left him, no wind, tired of his right...well, anyway, theres no way anyone in their right mind would realisticallly object to rescue services. I don't drink beer, but a rescue would be worth a good helping of whatever I got that might do you good; even cash. Thanks for going through the hassle of bringing it all along. You just never know what might happen.
FUN
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Well, it IS stinky and noisy, but so are all the fishboats, which I consider also a hazard (especially non-locals who aren't familiar with board and kite speed changes). BUt I didn't like the fact that getting rowing lessons a couple of years ago even in the middle of Elk Lake we had to have the coach polluting our lungs with a 2-stroke outboard either; so I'm just hyper-aware of these things. From a rescue point of view the jetski is infinitely the best vessel for windsurfers or kiters than almost anything else, so small and manoeverable and no prop to catch kite strings or legs. I've done quite a few dinghy rescues with a traditional boat and its much more cumbersome and takes a lot longer to do safely. Meaning the jetski probably burns less fuel in the long run compared to if there was something like a tin boat and outboard safety boat up there.
Last edited by more force 4 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Seems like Windsurfers and Kiters at the Gorge have a lot more issues than us Lake People.

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=45

I've always found things quite civil between kiters and windsurfers at Nitinat. Of course it's not as densely populated as the Hatchery.
AC

Ac

Post by AC »

Kiteboarders are not sapose to kiteboard at the hatch
it is for windsurfers.
that has been the rules since i started kiteboarding 7 years ago
TURTLE

Wholly, No wind!

Post by TURTLE »

I have been spending my energy lately renovating my land (landscaping)(I bought a backhoe) and house (didn't use the backhoe on the house) in this wind lull. Looks like I haven't missed much windsurfing. It is great there is a forum like this to sort out these understandings and perspectives before we get to the beach.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

mortontoemike wrote:There are "rescues" and "rescues". I am assuming that you guys are talking about people in some discomfort because they can't uphaul easily not life threatening situations due to injury. As a newbie I read all about de-rigging on the water and self-rescue. I'd have to be in pretty dire straits to call for a boat rescue. At some point, for a learner, the concept of risk management has to enter. A learner shouldn't go someplace that is beyond their abilities to return from (recognizing that it will happen nonetheless).

BTW. At Nitinat. Frankly, Seadoo's stink the place up. On a busy day you can smell the odour of freshly burned hydrocarbons all day if you stay downwind. I learned windsurfing 15 years ago and the idea that a Seadoo would follow me wherever I went to save me the walk of shame is pretty funny. Times change I guess.
This just in from the Department of Ironies! Mark was nice enough to come and pick me up, rescue me, using his Seadoo yesterday. He also rescued my equipment. Anyone know what goes best with crow? Thanks again Mark.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

:lol: at least you didn't hole your new sail :lol: and even though I hate bad drunks, I do have a nibble too many at times myself ...... that doesn't change the basic hardwiring and belief but confirms we are human indeed :oops: glad you got back but I wouldda made you swim cuz you went for the rig, not the board, that was too easy a lesson :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Ummm. I wasn't drunk KUS. Even when I am drunk I'm not all that bad. But OK. Stuff happens. See you on the water ...