how many days a year do you windsurf???

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
ralph

Post by ralph »

I hope everything is clear :D
and here's a second question:
if you could live anywhere in canada(to windsurf) where would you like to live????
\000/
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hey Ralph:

Simple answer - not enough days. Here are some of my windsurfing stats:

2001 = 97
2002 = 61
2003 = 80
2004 = 15x so far

As you can see it varies quite a bit. I try and do one or two Gorge/Oregon Coast trips in the summer and I can get 20 or more days in down there. It varies a lot month to month too. Jan-Mar are the worst with maybe 2-3x per month, and May-Aug are the best with 2-3 days per week average if you go to Nitinat, Gordon's Beach or the Gorge.
if you could live anywhere in canada(to windsurf) where would you like to live????
Here. For sure. I doubt there is a better place in Canada for windsurfing. We complain a lot here about lack of wind and lame forecasting (not you JL!) but we have it pretty damn good. All it takes is to go away for a while and then you really appreciate it. We can wave sail at Long Beach or Jordan River (although not often enough), we have great consistent summer sailing at Nitinat and Gordon's Beach, and we have good winter sailing at Columbia Beach and Island View/Willows Beach plus we are close to the Gorge/Oregon Coast.

Hope to see you here next year!

Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
mshepard

Post by mshepard »

Ralph, make sure to bring some beer and chocolate when you come. No question Vancouver Island has the best climate and best windsurfing in Canada. There are also lots of great alternative activities, most available all year like Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Climbing, Fishing, Hiking, Kiting, Paragliding and Skiing. Finding a job may be another matter!

Here is my estimate for sailing around here:

Single Guy: 100 days/year
Married 50 days/year
One kid 25 days/year
Two kids 12 days/year
More than two Dream about it once in a while :)
ralph

Post by ralph »

haha belgian beer and chocolate :o I'm tired of it all :P
bye the way I don't have to worry about kids(I'm only 14 years old)
my parents will move to Canada....
and another question:are there some good high schools , univeristies over there?????and can u snowboard good there ...???
\000/
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

bigwavedave wrote: we have great consistent summer sailing at Nitinat and Gordon's Beach, and we have good winter sailing at Columbia Beach and Island View/Willows Beach plus we are close to the Gorge/Oregon Coast.
Dave
hey dave, don't forget about north island(Hardy/McNiell) ... if you're into winter sailling, there's one word to describe it there : RELENTLESS! i've seen it blow for weeks on end! ... also Nimpkish aint so bad for summer sailling provided you can handle the 'no_see_ems'.
... and oh yes, there is wicked snowboarding here! not too many people ski anymore, other than maybe Kiteking.

Post by Guest »

Hey winddummy, checked out the hills this year? The pendulum has swung back to two planker wankers! Short and fat
wind_dummy

Post by wind_dummy »

Anonymous wrote:Hey winddummy, checked out the hills this year? The pendulum has swung back to two planker wankers! Short and fat
don't even get me started ... i got a major hate on for skiiers [smilie=flamethrower.gif]

Post by Guest »

Hello, here's another question again :D

will I be able to use my jp freestyle wave(84l) over there enough ???
Here some facts:
weight:67kg
Skills;I can use footstraps,harness,I can jibe ,learning to air jibe.
Discipline:freestyle
sails: gaastra 4.7 , arrows 5.7 , NP 4,0

and also:what do you guys think of windsurf in ontario(kingston)?? :?:
ralph

Post by ralph »

sorry forgot to log in... :roll: :D
\000/
windsurf247

sailing in Canada

Post by windsurf247 »

Hi Ralph. You will definitely be able to use your JP board around here. Your quiver of sails sounds good too. You must have similar conditions where you sail.

From what I understand, Kingston has a pretty good scene. It's only summer sailing though. The water is warm however, as in no wetsuit. I think the winds tend to be a bit lighter on average too. It's a fun place but all things considered, Victoria is in a totally different league. It's unbeatable here. This is where you want to be if you're a windsurfer.

In terms of schools, Canada has a very high calibre education system. The universities are all top notch. UVIC is in Victoria, and Queens is in Kingston. UVIC is conveniently located close to Willows Beach for those winter SE winds! Now that's good planning 8)
Good luck.
Rob
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

how many days

Post by tempy »

not enough. 2 rugrats and a garden cut into the selfish time, but they all love Nitinat. Vancouver Island has to be the place to be. Nitinat is great, Pipers, Columbia Beach, Victoria ... the list goes on. The scene is also very relaxed and welcoming.