Jordan River is UP FOR SALE

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

rocdoc wrote:But its worse.

The logging companies obtained their "private lands" as crown grants between 1860-1880. ... land that once belonged to the public of BC.
Legally, thats questionable, because it did belong to First Nations through aboriginal title, which has been acknowledged by courts and govt' finally. These timber grants were a big reason that fair land distributions weren't made during the various Royal Commissions etc from the 1870s through the early 20th century; whenever First Nations asked for reserves to be made of land for areas they felt especially close to and had managed forever, they were told that the land was 'unavailable' almost always because it was part of a timber sale. These lands often weren't logged for decades and at first no Euro-Canadian had even set foot in them, they were simply big blocks drawn on empty maps. Of course the First Nations were also told that they were not allowed to ask for blocks of land - only for the immediate area around a fishing camp or a house, and not allowed to pre-empt 160 acres per person for farming like non-native immigrants were.

Virtually the entire east half of Vancouver Island was given to the Dunsmuirs, who sold it to CPR, as the "Railway Land Grant", so most of the timber company lands are on the west side of the island and the mainland.

Anyhow, when you see the Pacheedaht demanding some of this land you'll understand why.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I agree MF4.
I wasn't passing judgement on the legal right of the Crown to grant the land in the mid 1880's. I was simply stating that this is what was done.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Lets just hope it doesn't mess up the creation of a park!
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

jordan river

Post by voodmon »

Even though i go there very seldom, i would like to see it become a marine park for all, too....God! what would the world be without Shakies anyway ??????....anyone else been having dreams, so vivid, out of nowhere, context or otherwise ????....but make total sense, because you remember them the next morning and through-out the following day ??????....your soul knows the ancient song, the song of your heart...go with it.. i believe i will have to honour that heart song soon too....TT
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

JR For Sale Update

Re: Proposed Juan de Fuca Electoral Area Community Parks Plan

Juan de Fuca Parks Commission are requesting public comment before 30 September (end of month). They have identified Jordan River Campsite as one of dozens of potential acquisitions.

Electronic copies of the draft parks plan available for download at www.crd.bc.ca/jdf/parks.

Send your comments requesting JR campsite be given high priority for acquistion to:

Thanks
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I have attached a typical response, as follows.
Modify as you need to.

Re: Jordan River campsite.

The Jordan River campsite is used intensively by surfers/windsurfers, kayakers, campers, RV users, and birdwatchers.
Small fishing boats can be launched into the river as well.
The campsite is also used as a picnic and ocean viewing area by tourists and the local community.
It is also an excellent tourist view/picnic stop on the Pacific Marine Circle Route.

In particular, the surfing conditions are at times "world class" and hundreds of surfers may use the site on good days.
The adjacent seabed has in the past been designated as a provincial park reserve to protect the surfbreak.

As you are no doubt aware, the campsite is included in the WFP lands for sale.
I strongly endorse the acquisition of this property through negotiation with the forestry company and available government funds.

Sincerely yours,
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

I strongly recommend you also send the above or similar responses to the following:

BC Minister of Environment: Barry Penner

BC MLA Juan de Fuca: John Horgan

Federal MP: Dr. Keith Martin

CRD Juan de Fuca Region Director: Eric Lund

Find email addresses off their web sites
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Here is a flier which Kevin Cook has asked me to post:

URGENT!
STOP THE $ALE OF JORDAN RIVER!

EMAIL OR CALL YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS NOW

·BC MINISTER OF THE ENVIRONMENT AND PARKS, , 387 – 1187

*ASK THE MINISTER TO PURCHASE JORDAN RIVER FOR BC PARKS BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!

·BC MLA (JUAN DE FUCA) MR. JOHN HORGAN, , 391 - 2801

·FEDERAL MP (JUAN DE FUCA) DR. KEITH MARTIN, , 474 – 6505

* HORGAN AND MARTIN ARE WORKING TO SAVE JORDAN RIVER, SO EMAIL OR CALL AND GIVE THEM YOUR SUPPORT ON THIS ISSUE TODAY!

-JORDAN RIVER SHOULD BE PART OF THE JUAN DE FUCA TRAIL OR BC PROVINCIAL PARKS
-DON’T LET THEM SELL A CANADIAN TREASURE AND OUR KIDS’ INHERITANCE FOR PRIVATE PROFIT!

SEPT. 30TH DEADLINE!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Penquin/Waxfoot - Thanks for cross-posting to BC Surfing Forum.

All surfers/windsurfers/kiters/kayakers/etc - This is your opportunity to do something now that will give you years of stoke and that your kids will thank you for (when they are old enough to appreciate it!).
~ pimp hand ~

Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

thanks for all your effort rocdoc !!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Appreciate it Rob.

There is one place that any endorsements for JR campsite have to be sent before Sept 30.

Thats to .

She is administrator for Juan de Fuca Parks and needs to receive requests for JR campsite to be included in JDF Parks acquistion list.

See typical request in previous post in this forum.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

This is what I wrote and also included the Ministry of Trans as the JR site is used as a rest stop and they likely own the right-of-way of part of the land as well as Tourism as they regulate Adventure Tourism. Feel free to cross-post.

Good morning-
It is with great concern that I write this note to you....I wish to express my sincere unease about the proposed sale and likely subsequent developments at the Jordan River site, in particular the waterfront portion, currently in the custody of Western Forest Products.

Located east of Sooke on Highway #14, the area of interest has been for decades a hub for surfers, kite and windsurfers, ocean kayakers and bus tour/tourism operators to name just a few interest groups. The shoreline is unique in its ecosystem due to the river mouth, shore break and exposure, providing world-class wave paddling, sailing and surfing conditions on this very limited stretch of coastline. There are many factors that affect "great surf" which is a product of a very complicated set of ocean bottom, beach, wind and water current conditions and extremely few areas in BC meet these requirements. It is also one of the very few (2 in total, Tofino Long Beach region being the other) areas that can be readily accessed by highway making it a valuable tourist destination and also a favorite albeit unoffical "rest area" stop on the emerging southern Pacific Circle Route which is growing rapidly in popularity!!

On a personal note, I am ........interest in seeing this location preserved and residing in the public domain.

Would you kindly consider this taxpayer and local resident's plea to assist in working toward conserving this area for the future of our children and to provide them access to this renowned and historical waterfront area of our province? I thank you for your consideration and any investment of effort in negotiation with Western to allocate a portion of this land and foreshore to a new park and as an extension of the Juan de Fuca trailsystem or the Highway Rest Area program.

In addition I would be more than happy to contribute any personal time, effort and information I can to see this come to fruition. Please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely.
Responses of Receipts of email but Wendy Miller wrote:
Good Morning Markus,
Your correspondence will be on the Commission's October agenda.
The public is more than welcome to attend the October 4 meeting. Meeting to commence at 5:00 p.m., #2-6868 West Coast Road.

Wendy Miller
Administrative Secretary
SEAPARC Leisure Complex
642-8000
Not sure what "added to the agenda" means but .... good I guess. fyi local doods re: meeting, I will be in lock-up in Richmond 8)
Last edited by KUS on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I got the same response from WM to an email I sent (briefer than yours, but I also put it in my own words - I've heard that tends to carry a little more weight than a cut-and-paste, but even that will help. I haven't sent it to the others on the list yet, but will soon. If everyone who reads this thread sends something, it will be huge compared to the normal response they get from similar issues.
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Thanks for the support guys.

I have asked to address the meeting for five minutes. Apparently, it has to passed by "resolution of the commission" before I know if I will be able to speak.

Anyway, I will be attending and hoping to contribute.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Juan de Fuca Electoral Area Parks and Recreation Commission minutes can be found at www.crd.bc.ca/minutes/juandefucaeaparksrec_
Markus,
Prior to WFP's annoucment, the Commission has been aware of the area's
traditional use and significance. The Jordan River estuary campsite is
already noted as an acquisition priority in the Commission's draft
Community Parks Plan.

Your correspondence will be on the agenda as an information item for the
Commission. In addition to your correspondence, five other letters have
been received. I have also received a request from a Rick Gillie to
formally speak to the issue at the October meeting. The correspondence
and presentation will be discussed during the New Business segment of
the agenda at which point the Commission will decide what its course of
action will be.

Although you are not able to attend, I believe the correspondence and
presentation will clearly communicate the public concerns.
Wendy Miller
Administrative Secretary
SEAPARC Leisure Complex
642-8000
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....