Couple of kite question

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Couple of kite question

Post by Teabag »

I feel shy to ask these questions but I don't have experience with 5th line set up and Bow kites, on top of that there is some contradiction when I read on different website. Anyway, here are my questions:

1- Can a 5th line fit on a regular naish bar? (2004 I believe)
Or you need to buy a special bar for that 5th line?

2- Can you use that 5th line bar with the 10m/12m/14m/16m? Or once there is a 5th line, you need a different bar for each kite? (Hopefully not)

3- Bow kite, does it need a special bar or I can use a regular bar?

4- How are BOW kite for relaunching? On wikipedia it says the first bow kite generation is more difficult to relaunch than the C-Kite, is this true?

6- Last question, I know its different with every company but in general how many years it usually takes until you cannot buy the main blader for the kite? (in case it blow up)

Thanks for any info, Ian
JL

Post by JL »

I can address the 'bow kite' questions ... Bridled kites are easy to water launch & don't require a fifth line ... Because of the huge depower range with a bridled (bow or similar) a specialized bar IS required ...
Thermals are good.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey Teabag, here is my two bits on your questions

1. yes you can retrofit a fithline onto a nash bar, you just need to buy a 5th line kit.

2. No you do not need a different bar for each size of kite. The 5th line stays the same, however on the kite, there will be leader lines that run from the leading edge bladder to the 5th line attachment running up from your bar. It is this leader line that will be different lengths for each kite. Once again you should be able to either purchase these. If not, depending on the make of kite and the "leader" style (Y vs straight) you can measure and create your own. Sounds difficult but really isn't.

3. Bow kites indead use a different setup than a traditional C-kite, primarily due to the "throw" or "depower" abilities.

4. Bow kites relaunch just as easily as a kite with a 5th line.

last question, hmm don't really know, however I have heard of people buying a generic sized bladder and then tying off the bladder on the end to the size you need. Not a great fix but workable I suppose.

I can speak from personal experience that either 5th line or Bow kites are great. Each has there advantages. It depends on how you want to ride Ian. For instance, if you really want to push the tricks and wakestyle I would recommend 5th line, if you want wave and general all purpose riding then a Bow or SLE (supported leading edge) Kite. Using older Kites are fine, I am still using my 2005/6 16m Bronco converted to 5 lines. I will say that the newer Diablos (which replaced the Bronco) fly nicer, faster and preform better. However at my skill level the Bronco works just fine. Next year I plan to start throwing kite loops so I will definately be retireing the 16m Bronco from that. Also the newer kites have all the new safety gizmos included. AS a side note, I do have lots of gear left over from last season at cost prices to clear so give me a call if you have any more questions or inquiries about gear. 250-745-3375
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Thank you very much Jim and Dale. I needed to know this because I just took a loan and bought some kites. Going to Quebec for 3 weeks and snowkiting will be priority # 1. Once I come back I will still explore vanisland backcountry in the hope to find a good snowkiting spot in mountains.

I wish I would have known that you might sell your equipement from last year before buying these kites!!!

No big deal, I am still happy with the purchase. Maybe some friends will want to buy some used gear to, I'll show them this website. The snowkiting/kiteboarding community is so small over there, used gear is rare and expensive so I might be buying for them when I come back.

Thanks again for these informations, Ian.
JL

Post by JL »

I think the small (6 & 8m) rise kites would be the best bet for snow kiting ... Very stable & they love to reverse launch with a tug on the back lines. Have a good trip.
Thermals are good.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

JL....Thanks for the info, I am heading out east this x-mas period, and i'm going to try to snowkite in PEI. I was trying to figure out what to do for two weeks when i was in PEI with the girlfriend, let me tell you it was looking bleak, but after reading this forum it got me thinking. I made some phone calls to my girlfriends sister, who is also dating a kiteboarder( I know small world) and what do you know, he's in for it. So instead of two weeks of He_ _, I should have a good time, as long as i can get everything on the plain..Cheers JL ....PS I will be using a 8 or 9m best, if i can't get my OR 12 in my board bag.
JL

Post by JL »

Have fun Nosey ... Seasons greetings ... Try & post some pics to the gallery ... 8)
Thermals are good.
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey Icrumba, where was that photo taken?
icurumba
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by icurumba »

Hey Dale,
This pic is posted in the OR website gallery. The location is Poland. There's a few other great shots of snow kiting in his gallery (listed as YAHOO ).
JL

Post by JL »

Here is a Canadian snow kite link: http://www.fundykiteboarding.ca/snowkite2008/
Thermals are good.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Thanks for the info Icrumba, will have to look at those.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I wish Victoria, or the island had nice big open area for snowkiting. I would guess this would be the ONLY time it would pay off to live in the central Canada...lol..I was looking at forbidden Plato, but i think that would be a long walk in above the snow line!
Galeltic

Post by Galeltic »

i never hear about bow kite have 5 th lines expect sle or hydrid kite have 5 th line
i use xbox2 bow kite with 4 lines and its easy water launching 8)
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I can only speak about my OR one, and it doesn't have a 5th line, and i have an SLE bar!