LEI vs Foil trainer kites (from a beginner)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
DonWagstaf

LEI vs Foil trainer kites (from a beginner)

Post by DonWagstaf »

I have seen this discussed in passing on other posts, but it would be cool if it got definitively dealt with.

Most people who learned on trainer kites learned on 2-line foil trainers (or that's the impression I get). But there are also 4-line foils and 4-line inflatables. Are these (especially the inflatables) worth the extra money?

It seems to me that the cons of the inflatables are that they are more expensive and easier to damage. But are there advantages to them? I am in a position to buy either a 2M or 3M SLE bow kite made by Ocean Rodeo.

Would they behave more like the real thing, and if so, would it have a worthwhile effect on my ultimate progress (I've done nothing so far and will be taking lessons in may). Also, would they be good for practicing water relaunches and drift launches?

Also, I don't get the impression that inflatable trainers use a harness, so does anyone know how exactly the control system works?

Anyway, would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
JL

Post by JL »

The O.R. 2 or 3 M 4 line is worth the investment ... You can learn to water launch, depower & fly just like the big guys ... This winter Richard (o.r. big cheese) had a 40+ knot session on his 4M RISE !!! Pick up an O.R. harness you will need to 'hook in' to take advantage of safety systems & depower. HINT: To avoid an exploding leading edge on impact don't inflate your main strut rock hard until you've learned not to power slam your new kite into hard objects !!! Read all safety instructions, stay away from non kiters, power lines, trees, & vehicles ... Have fun. 8) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v408tNSc ... ainers.php http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jkfx978Qfg
Thermals are good.
DonWagstaf

Post by DonWagstaf »

So a harness too eh? Cool. And the Session harnesses are a good way to go? As an aside, how easy is it to wear a harness, OR Session or otherwise, with a PFD?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Why not take a lesson, use THEIR trainer kite and then go on to the real thing?? Use the money you save for some good instruction.

Trainers sound like a waste of money to me, I never used one before I tried a real kite and I don't think I missed out on anything but spending coin on gear I didn't need :roll: Or just borrow/rent somebody's, sounds like others have already spent the money.... :idea:

The PFD issue is dealt within the forum, WS or kiting, not sure (Same with the harness). I use a kayaking one, works great and no interference at all. Several great models out there 8)

Don't forget the lid tho in your gear collection, that's probably as important :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
DonWagstaf

Post by DonWagstaf »

Yeah, I'm totally aware of the arguments against getting a trainer, however I still feel that I'd get more out of a lession if I went into it already knowing as much as possible about kite flying. Most of the posts on this subject that I have read on various forums seem to be very firmly pro or against trainers. I don't know why opinions would be so strong on the subject, but hey, it makes things interesting.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

There are some good suggestions here, on one side the trainer from O.R. as \i understand it is now a miniture Rise basically, so learning on it will allow you to transition from the smaller kite to the larger with more confidence. As for using it only a little bit, well that may be true, but selling it after your done with it is also an option as people are always looking for used trainers. Another option is to use the trainer at long beach with a mtn board on the beach, seen it done, looks fun. On the other side, Kus is definately right on tack with the suggestion to take lessions. Lessons put your learning curve on the major fast track. I have seen individuals go from not a clue to riding upwind in three days this last summer, amazing. Should you need gear we still have inventory of harnesses, kites and boards. Feel free to contact us at 250-745-3375. \most importantly have fun and be safe!
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
DonWagstaf

Post by DonWagstaf »

And I fully intend on taking lessons. I was never presenting a trainer as an alternative to lessons, rather it so far seems to me that experience on a trainer will help you get more out of lessons. Basic kiting (and relaunching in the case of the LEI trainer) will be something I already have a good handle on by the time I take a lesson if I use a trainer. That will leave more time to focus on other techniques. That is my thinking so far anyway, and I've read likewise from others.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I bought a Stinger 1.8m last summer and learned off of it. Its great, I beat it up, my friend beat it up then my brother plowed it into a collection of logs as hard as it could possibly travel and it still hasn't blown up, no rips...nothing! (that ocean rodeo durability for ya!). Theres a simulator that I played with before i got that trainer kite though...Act on the safe side when you first put it together, even though its a 1.8m kite, it is still capable of pulling you through a mud puddle if you drop it though the power zone quick enough in 15 ish knots. The only issue i found with the stinger is that it needs 11 knots min to get off the ground. Apparently 2 line trainers do not need as much wind but i felt i would grow out of those too quickly.
http://www.flysim.com/kitesim/kitesim_features.html
With regards to life jackets, I use a Salus. It rides higher than the harness so i haven't had a problem with getting things tangled and because its high, it does not bunch up on me making ejection non restrictive. It even has a pocket in the front for my fox 40 whistle, car keys, and the flares or flashlight that i am considering buying... Very good life jacket. I used to race lasers and bought it for that but it doubles very well for use in my kiteboarding ability and also kayaking. (Bosuns locker sells them in victoria)
http://www.salusmarine.com/abacus.html
Be safe
Last edited by MikeH on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

You still don't know if you will like this sport. Some people buy new gear and sell it right after the first day because they don't want to continue... Losing $700-$1200... (wetsuit/harness/kite/board)

-Foil on e bay: $50-$75
-Brand new training kite, 2m/4m is $300-$400 with tax???

You can't learn much from a training kite, you will be bored after 3 or 4 hours flying it. There is a LOT more to learn while riding, or trying to ride, and this you can only learn with a "real" kite.

The mountain board purchase is another $250 - $300 (if you want to use your inflatable training kite again). I have tried it and find it extremely difficult (mountain board + training kite, I didnt find that it was worth for learning).

Balance and board skills are a lot harder to learn than kite flying.
If you never did snowboard/ski/wakeboard/skateboard etc... spend money doing so first. Or try to get lessons on snowkiting, green lake near Whistler or Merrit B.C . It is a lot easier than on water, a lot.

Might as well buying a cheap foil since you'll be taking lessons in May anyway. Your choice. I did so many mistakes since I have tried to kiteboard 5 years ago... And the biggest one was not taking lessons...

I can show/lend you an inflatable trainer kite, and tell you about some mistakes I made so you don't do the same.
After flying it for a couple of hours you make a decision if you want to spend ~$60 or ~$300 on a training kite.

294-9958, Ian.