Snowkiting kite ratio Foil Vs Inflatable (Quebec City)

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Snowkiting kite ratio Foil Vs Inflatable (Quebec City)

Post by Teabag »

The 5 day I went, the kite ratio was: (aprox)
- 50-75% inflatables (60% Hybrid / 30% Bow / 10% C-Kite)
- 25-40% foils
- 10% weirdo kite
- 10% windsurfing on snow

Everyone I talked to before going there said that foil kites were better to use on snow, that not many people use Inflatable for snowkiting... This might be true in Alberta or B.C but not back east!!!

http://www.kitezone.ca/ (if ever you are going in this area)

The reason why I am showing this is in case any of you was thinking about trying snowkiting, you do not need to buy a foil kite. I taught my sister on a bow kite (ONE), she crashed it a lot and there is no damage to it. What a difference with C-Kite for safety!!!
A guy was jumping every 45-60 secondes, it was just unbelievable to watch. It was a great and fun experience, way easier than on water!!!

Will still try to find a spot on the island... anyone with a 4X4 willing to help with acces on logging road pls msg me:)
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I did some snowkiting at x-mas time in PEI with my 12m O.R. One. I got out of my car and walked into a farmers field, and had a session for about 2 hours, and loved every second of it. I also want to do some on the island this year, and yes i have a 4x4, so anytime you are looking for some one to go on the weekend I'm In!
Jens

Post by Jens »

I would like to try snowkiting. I am from Parksville and kite at Columbia Beach. I snowkited on the field by the skatepark in Parksville when it snowed 10 inches last year. Just thought I would give it a try . It was really fun for how little snow there was. I really want to find an area to go snowkiting on the island. I also have a 4x4 and am fairly flexible for time.
So anytime you are looking for some one to go I'm in, too.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

A big thank you for your offer.
I am available 5 of the next 7 week ends,
1 days of recon Cowinchan lake/Nanaimo lake
~1 hour for Mt Washington area in logging road (if nothing there let's ski/snowboard.) - Everytime I go there I want to check it out but im afraid to get stuck in my super honda civic 1991!!!
1 long day in Beaufort range 4x4 logging road
1 long day for Mt. Arrowsmith/Moriarty 4x4 + Snowshoes

It would be great if we can "clear" these areas this year. Will do more research as needed. check your pm, Ian.
Thanks again.
SMACK

snowkite.....

Post by SMACK »

snowkite is way......easier to learn, stay upwind and get hurt :!:
I go out two or three time's a week and put on 50 miles in some sesh's.
now recovering from neck injury. even when thing's seem tame.....it can go bad in a hury. frozen water hurt's even with six inches of pow on top.
Regard's All.
Next pic's out of Holland.
Chase the day, not the dollar.
delicucumber

snowkiting

Post by delicucumber »

I would also love to find a snowkiting spot on the island. I have a 4x4 and kiting and snow gear. Also good knowledge of beaufort and mt. wash areas. very little kiting experience. Safety would be paramount for any site selection. I would love to hear about anyones experiences. Also were would be the next closest good spot to learn. Whistler? there must be large snowy areas with a nice steady wind somewhere around here. thanks..
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

You would have to do some serious back country hiking, if you were going anywhere near Whistler/Blackcomb………Better have a transponder, and up with your Avalanche knowledge
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Just spent two hours on green lake at Whistler. 10-15km/h on a big foil. Great session and easy for access. There were a lot of puddles that made me a bit nervous though.

Chris
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Is there anyone with a 4x4 willing to try out Forbidden Plateau tomorow?
SE winds. Someone has to do it. Maybe its kiteable, maybe not but we will never know if nobody go check it out. I'll pay full gas. If it’s not kiteable we can just go kiteboard at Comox Spit?
The road is not bad at all, it is just steep near the end.

I spent some time snowshoeing in the backcountry near Mt Washington area, only good place would be a 6-10 hours treck. Also tried some logging road but unfortunately could not get far since I’m lacking a 4x4 ... (next year hopefully). Someone saw people kiting at Mt. Cain, but I’m not sure where exactly, what were the conditions, etc... If anyone know any info about snowkiting at Mt Cain please let us know.
Also e-mail for informations on heli droping comox glacier, they cant do it since it is located in the park, the price would be ~$150 anyway. So unless you are camping there for a week, it is not really worthed.

Still need people with a 4x4 willing to "sacrifice" a day to research some spot but it seems that nobody wants to do it. Anyway, if you are up for Forbidden Plateau tomorow or anywhwere else during other week ends, call Ian 294-9958, i'll pay full gas. Leaving 5-6 or 7am would be best. That place (plateau) is probably the best bet for snowkiting on the island. Thanks for your time.

-Chris what was your foil in Whistler? (size and brand)
Do you know anyone over there that snowkite regularly? Any safe spot in the mountains?

-Delicucumber can you call me I just want to know some stuff about Beaufort Range, it will take 5-10 minutes at the most. Bonus if you can be in front of your computer with goolge earth open, it will be easier to understand each other.
foilboy

Post by foilboy »

Hey teabag,
there is a road to forbidden plateau? How steep and how much snow?
I used a 17m Flysurfer speed and 13m Flysurfer Psycho 3. I prefer foils as relaunch is so simple on snow when on snowboard. I heard of lots of people kiting on green lake but saw only a skier with handheld windsurf rig. Everything in the mountains would be associated with major hiking or snowmobile.
Let me know your outcome of researching the plateau.
Chris
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Forbidden Plateau= Not a safe place to snowkite.
-SSE is perpendicular/downhill to the run
-Even if the wind was uphill the runs are just not wide enough (~60-90 meters)

How it went: The road was muddy, no more snow so I could get up to the parking lot without any difficulty. Lucky enough there was some people with snowmobile, I ask for a ride to the top and I got it!!! (saving a good 30-45 minutes)

Once on top there was more wind, but not much open space. I tried out the Manta without board, just to check it out. And oh my god, the updraft are so fun... but scary at the same time. After less than 10 minutes I decided to put it back in its bag and look for larger open area before I kill myself. (too many trees close by, it was stupid from my part to even think of trying it out)

I snowboard down the hill until reaching a bigger space, this one near the bottom. I tried a little bit with the board but the wind was perpendicular/downhill, and a little gusty. I lost lots of time by some bad launch, then re tried with the board before I pack again. This larger area was still not wide enough (100 meters at most). I didn't feel comfortable at all regarding safety.

It would cool if the run would face SE so the wind would be uphill, but even then it would still be not very safe. One less place to check!!!

2-3 more place to check before I give up for spot on the island:(

Any voluntair for Arrowsmith/Cokely area would be great:)
Thanks, Ian
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

It sounds a little on the crazy side there Teabag, but at least you gave it a try ….Good on ya!........I think the only way to do it on the island is, get above the tree line (I think that’s around 10,000ft….but don’t quote me on that)……OR find a nice big frozen mountain lake, the latter of the two might be the best bet.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I thought the 'Plateau" in Forbidden Plateau was the huge flat-top glacier you can see from Courtenay? Or is that in park and out of bounds or something? I see above they aren't allowed to heli into it. THat looks to be the place....

Hey Teabag, have you tried looking around using Google Earth? Tipped on its side and where there is high res you get a very good idea of the terrain and tree cover and access too. Its not bad even when its the regular satellite image. Way cheaper than driving around for a first cut....

I just tried it out and looked at the (blue dot) pics of what its like on the Forbidden glacier - yep, endless sea of flat white, looks perfect for kiting (dunno about crevasses though, I see the guy in the pic has an ice-axe, no rope though, so maybe its pretty stable).
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

The place you are talking of is Comox Glacier. There are no crevasses. It is a 4-5 hours hike from the closest access during late summer early fall. It might be closer now (with the logging). I asked our avalanche instructor and he said to us that the way to Comox Glacier during winter is very exposed to avalanche. I do not have enough winter backcountry experience neither the will to go through that kind of terrain.

Yes I did use google earth a lot, with backcountry books to. I'll email the Alpine Club van island section and see if anything comes up.

If not I'll make sure that my summer hikes are mainly on glacier, bringing a kite and snowblade with me:)
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Mckenzie and battleship lakes at paradise meadows seem to be obvious spots to go, you use the car to gain your elevation vs hiking for hours. to my knowledge there are only two roads on the island that are ploughed to a reasonable elevation, the other being the road up Mt Cain. no big frozen lakes there though. with a pair of xc skis you can get in to mckenzie in under an hour from the car. its big and open, there are photos in the gallery somewhere.
on a side note, "treeline" on the island is typically around 3300 to 4000 feet, depending on your aspect.