okay FINE

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
jeamer

okay FINE

Post by jeamer »

SO here I am, thinking I'd never switch to the dark side of wind, but who am I kidding? I knew all along that one day, some way, I'd end up with some kind of sail attached to me. Too many times I've longed to just walk down the street to jump into the ocean rather than drive for 1 1/2 hours.

SO here is my question, one that someone could probably answer by copy and paste from a million sources. Whats a good way to get started on kiting? My brother is playing around with a training kite right now, so I figure I should log some time on that and wait till summer to hit some water. I also don't have much disposable income being a student with a family, so is there any way to avoid buying beginner gear, then intermediate gear, etc? I've been surfing for 7 or 8 years now, so I'm comfortable on a board (I know that doesn't translate to being comfortable on a kiteboard). What about lessons? Anyone offering :roll: ?
Thanks to whoever answers!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Strongkiteboarding and/or Mary at Nitinate lake for the summer.
My advice, take lessons!!!! (you have no idea how much money and time I waisted by not taking any) you'll save so much by taking lessons.

Just came back from Quebec city and tried snowkiting, I find snowkiting is the way to go for learning (for someone who has difficulty with board skills anyway). So much easier, unbelievable.

Board skills were more difficult to learn than kite flying or the combination of kite&board. It won't take you long, good luck.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hello Jeamer,

Teabag has the jist of it, lessons period. Both Strong Kiteboarding and Elevation Kiteboarding offer packages. Strong Kiteboarding uses mostly Ocean Rodeo Gear and Elevation uses North. Lessons do two things for you. First and foremost teaches you safety and puts you in as safe an enviroment as you can be for learning here on Vancouver Island. Secondly, if you are an apt student after a few days, you should be up and riding. Should you reach this level and decide the sport is for you (some do not continue :roll: ???)then you can move forward and get gear that will accomodate you for years to come. Most of the newer kites such as the O.R. rise or North Rebel offer a great range of performance, safety and ease of operation. The 5th line kites such as the Vegas and Diablo are also very user friendly, however do not offer as much "de-power". All this equipement is available on the island either here at Nitinaht, or Victoria. Allot of beginners go with used gear, this is a catch 22 as you do get a good deal, however most beginners do not know what to look for to ensure they are getting a reliable and safe piece of equipement. So if you choose to go this route, ensure that you know what to look for or have an experience rider inspect the gear before you buy.

Winter is a lousy time to learn, wind is gusty, strong and beaches typically full of debris. I do recommend logging as much time on the trainer as possible prior to lesson, to the point of where you can feel the kite and know where it is and what it is going to do without having to look up at it. This will definately help condense your instruction time when you take lessons.

Have FUN

Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: okay FINE

Post by KUS »

jeamer wrote: Too many times I've longed to just walk down the street to jump into the ocean rather than drive for 1 1/2 hours.
you can walk down the street here with a kite or windsurfer and "jump into the ocean" here, why drive and how does that relate to the type of sport :?: Anyway, there's only about a bazillion threads on this site regarding taking up kiting for those that quit on windsurfing :oops: It's under kiting discussion tho, not the windsurfing one :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

jeamer meant a more local alternative to "regular surfing" ie less driving for him. trouble is once you get your skills up youll be driving out west to sail the waves anyway.. ha!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

aaaaha 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Jeamer, have you considered a SUP longboard with a mast track? Go out light-air cruising on flat water or sail or SUP surfing. Probably just need one sail (5.0-5.5ish) to cover the range.
jeamer

Post by jeamer »

Hey thanks for the input guys, and before you all continue, my nickname is an amalgamation of my first and last names... you can just call me Jordan (Jeamer sounds pretty weird).

MF4 think I'm pretty set on kiteboarding, as I'm mostly in to digging in as much rail as possible, throwing as much water as possible, and mostly I see kiters with the low displacement boards doing that (don't worry windsurfers can throw a mean spray too, I don't wanna get caught in THAT argument).

Anyone have any thoughts about converting an old surfboard (5'11" 18 3/4" 2 1/4") into a kiteboard? I ripped out the middle fin box a long time ago, and was looking for the motivation to repair it to a twin-fin. Throw on some straps (a few months from now, when I'm ready) and giver? Or am I asking for trouble?
Last edited by jeamer on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeamer

Post by jeamer »

P.S. Thanks for the camp/lesson info, I'm pretty stoked about the Strong Kiteboarding 3 day camp deal, and after reading enough of the posts on this forum, I know to play er safe and keep on the learning curve!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hey Jordan,

Good on yah for looking into things and making a wise decision on lessons. As for your surf board, inovations are what make sports evolve. I have seen lots of surfboards used during low wind and of course out in the waves, nowdays most kiteboard manufactures have a kite specific surfboard designed to work in waves. I personally will be picking up a kite specific surf board and probably a skim board as well this season as both are a blast to play with. Anyhow, look forward to meetin yah out at the lake should you venture this way. Judi and I are at the store and we are at the camsite as well, look us up and we'll help in anyway we can. \

Cheers
Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Cj

Post by Cj »

Riding a surfboard while kiting is alot of fun but hard on your board. Lots of dings plus holding your edge is hard on the fin boxes, you'll end up with loose fins. There are boards made specific for kiting where weight isn't such a factor, thicker glass, pads and straps. But your board sounds like it would be good because it's short and well used. Straps are not nessesary but some people like them. I like to move my feet on my board and the feeling without straps. Get your kiting skills down, take a lesson or only kite with someone that know how, kite first, then you can ride a door if you want to. CJ, good luck.
somebody said " go fly a kite".
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hey Jordan,
Cj is right about surfboards. Josh Molcoy is a pro surfer turned kiteboarder. He uses the exact same surfboad for kiting that he uses for surfing all the time. He might get his shaper to put some thicker glass on it. But he says the dimentions are the same. I have done the same thing you want to, and used an old surfboard and put straps on it. It has lasted me for 2 years, but it getting pretty thrashed now. Check out kitefilm.com and kiteform.tv. I will be at JR today surfing(bringing kite gear). Cheers