Moving to Nanaimo

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
fonkydan

Moving to Nanaimo

Post by fonkydan »

Hi all,I might be transfered to Nanaimo,I am from Quebec...I would like to know how is the kitting scene in Nanaimo...Spots,wind,how long is the season ect...

I would like to rent a house(I have 2 dogs) outside town if possible,I would like to know how much should I expect to pay per month for a 2 bedroom house???

Thanks for your help and I hope i will be riding with you soon!!!

Dan
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Moving to Nanaimo

Post by rvanderbyl »

North nanaimo is a good bet. Expect rent to be somewhere in the $800-$1200 range. Don't leave it till the last minute to find a place.
Lots of kiting/windsurfing spots to choose from! mostly close by.
Good luck with the move if you do get the transfer.
Why aren't YOU out there?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Moving to Nanaimo

Post by bwd »

fonkydan wrote:I would like to know how is the kitting scene in Nanaimo...Spots,wind,how long is the season ect...
Nanaimo is a great central spot to live. Some more local guys can tell you more about it I'm sure, but here are some spots:

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Pipers_Lagoon
NW wind, season April-October, Check Entrance Island on the Archive page for wind stats

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Columbia_Beach
SE wind, season Oct-April, check Ballenas Island and Columbia Beach on the Archive page page

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Nitinat_Lake
thermal wind, season May-September, no wind stats

There are more sites around too, those are just a couple. Season is basically year round: Winter = great SE frontal sailing, summer = good NW wind, and thermal wind at Nitinat. Enjoy,
Dave
Rob Creese

nanaimo

Post by Rob Creese »

check out Lantzville beaches like Oar Road when the morning northwest comes in, before it turns west in the afternoon. Ballenas Island at around NW 18 knots plus.
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

Hi Dan -- Kiting and windsurfing on Vancouver Island with a good warm wet suit (or drysuit) in winter is a virtual year round blast for the guys. Check out the photo galleries and note the dates the local pics were taken. It seems the best mid island wind is in the winter time. I'd definitely check out the north end of Nanaimo, or Lantzville / Parksville for where to live. These areas would put you minutes from area beaches. Like fifteen minutes max. On occasion, if you're skilled, you'd want to join the Victoria area crew and hit the beach at Cook Street / Dallas Road. And in the summertime, there's nothing to match nitnat lake over on the west coast via a logging road, where summertime thermals roar in with daily regularity for the most part. And then there's the Columbia Gorge on the Washington State / Oregon border....... :D If all else fails, there's surfing at Tofino on the west coast :shock: and skiing / snowboarding up at Mount Washington. Well, you get the picture! Good Luck :!: Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
fonkydan

Nanaimo area

Post by fonkydan »

Thanks all for your replies....Is there an area where houses are cheaper around Nanaimo+-25km?

The price of houses is crazy out there...

Thanks again for your advices

Dan
Jude

Post by Jude »

You may find more affordable houses south of Nanaimo. Check areas like Cedar, Chase River and Ladysmith. I've been in the market for a few years now and find the most hits in that area.
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Nitnat - Driving time from Naniamo

Post by DavidM »

Was looking at the sailing locations on the Wiki and didn't see anything about driving time from Naniamo to Nitnat.

What is the driving time to Nitnat form Naniamo?
How much of the trip is on gravel road?
If driving from Naniamo does one head toward Alberni.

Moving to Naniamo and recently bought a retirement house (windsurfing base) just above the park on Place Rd. at Pipers. How does Pipers rate?

I know Columbia is good as I have seen the picture and can't wait for that!
bean

Post by bean »

I prefer the south route to the lake: 1hr paved, 1hr gravel, less if you're psycho. The northern route feels longer to me and there are the off-road logging trucks.

Piper's is nice 5.5 - 6.5 with rolling swell most of the time and a few times a summer it cranks with big crumbly port ramps.

Hope to see you at the beach soon.
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Thanks for the reply Bean. The house at pipers is waiting. Just gota sell my house on the mainland and I'll be there.