Oregon Coast Week?

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Oregon Coast Week?

Post by KUS »

Hi crew- just wanted to see who's planning an Oregon Coast outing during the summer months. My employer is requesting that I put in for my planned vacation......and it's no use explaining every day off is weather/wind dependent for me :lol:

So, maybe I'll get lucky here but historically some of us have gone down during July and August long weekends. Then I noted last year that late August the coast seemed to go off like mad. I don't like the idea of going alone, any input? Mike, were you still considering a Kusschine adventure? What dates?

Right now it looks like I will be able to go July 18th-27th. Or after August 18th.

I'll say two years ago was huge fun and I would love to do something like that again in a small group 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Mike D

Skill level

Post by Mike D »

Hey Kus,

What skill level is required to ride the Oregon coast?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, not sure how to answer that being a relative newbie (and having been only to Manzanita, Oceanside and Florence) except that it can be humbling, downright dangerous on a big day. Mostly to get through a shore break set is probably the biggest skill, once you are outside it's ....well.....exciting and then you need to read the sets to make sure you can ride in and then get out again without buying it every time.
Some days are small and intermediate friendly, others not so much :shock: I know I got the crap beaten out of me a few times but it was pure adrenalin. Biggest challenge I had is too little wind with a wall of wet bearing down and smoking you without any hope to do much about it :roll: It's usually sandy and if not really big usually you just get chucked back on the beach....unless you get sucked out in a rip tide which is unusual on a medium day. Not that I would know cuz I was very conservative when there. There is a really good sailing the coast article somewhere on the site, maybe try to find it.
I used both 80 and 95L boards, smallest sail OP 4.2, largest UP 5.8. There were also some great days for 6.0 big (120L) board sailing. Temps are coolish to cold. Don't leave your sandwich out, bring a crab trap and a bucket, store your gear at night, sleep in a vehicle not a tent, love sand in every crevasse, enjoy good company and stay away from Jack's in Florence 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

bwd
Developer
Developer

End of July for me

Post by bwd »

I'm most likely taking July 18th to Aug 4th off and will be in the Gorge or the Coast, depending on the weather.

MikeD, like Kus said, there are bigger days and smaller days. I'd say if you can sail CB or IV on a 4.7 day in the winter then you can handle most days on the coast. It's a good place to learn and it's fairly forgiving. Here's a link to the Oregon Coast Wavesailing Guide:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1860
Russian Dood

I'm in

Post by Russian Dood »

Woo hoo! I'm in.

I haven't requested my summer vacation yet, but I'll try to squeeze my 10 days around the last week of July
Cancer must die!
morewind

Post by morewind »

I'm .... out for 2008. 2wk family trip back to Ontario at the end of July. Maybe it'll line up for 2009? Or, if some miracle happens and I no longer work for the man, then I'd have a shot at it for the 3rd week of July.

someone asked about skill level for the coast. I agree with BWD. You should be able to confidently sail IV and CB, as a minimum. Things can go wrong at the coast. Last time I was at Florence this happened to a poor bloke:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/PD ... ssage/1892
Mike T

Post by Mike T »

May long weekend it's on!
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

I am out for this Summer too. You will have to find another comedian for the trip. Should be in the same boat as Dunkinguy was last year by that time....
Give'R
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info on the Oregon coast, I think I'll sit out this round......I need more experience.

Sounds like it can be a lot of fun when the conditions line up, hopefully by summer 09 I'll be ready.

Have fun and stay safe.

PS Kus the booties are working out great, hands down the best boot out of my last 4 pair.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hey, hoping weather permitting to head to the O coast, Florence

Thurs June 26-July 6th
also for Thurs July 17-July 28th

Anyone into it? I'm prolly takin' da windkusschine too. If the coast dries up, I guess Gorge will also happen tho I'd like to do mostly sand and sun, we'll see. No fun alone so how about it, fellow wind, sand and beer lovers? 8)

if the weather still stinks i think i will leave the continent again :evil:
Last edited by KUS on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

BigD

Gorge

Post by BigD »

I'll be in the Gorge for a stretch at some point between Sunday July 6th - July 13th. Maybe see you down there Kus, be fun to sail with some fellow canucks.
8)
dunkinguy

Oregon dates

Post by dunkinguy »

I am way up in the air based on several variables. If Nicole isn't going to school, we might both come down. I won't be able to go solo at end of July because I'd be missing Luke's first birthday which probably wouldn't be that cool on the cool factor. We'll have to see how it all plays out. Funny, the dilemma used to be whether to stay for one or two months. What happened?
Love The Hate!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Mike D wrote:PS Kus the booties are working out great, hands down the best boot out of my last 4 pair.
Awesome, yep, me too, I am close to wearing my first set out, 70 days, not bad given how thin the things are 8)

Yep, I know what you mean, Dunkindood, been there but the first one is easy and things go back to normal in....ah.....16 years or so :P Hope to hook up wit cha and others (looks like I'll miss ya on the dates, Big D :? ) Gotta be others, no? Nobody Gorging it even on the July long weekend? You just know it's gonna RAIN here :evil: Kusschine can be "Grandma Candle" Headquarters, full power tunes, video, ice cold ones :twisted: w/ hot exterior shower now working (recent addition), haha, no more cold, salty and sandy sailors ...well, unless you wanna be :roll: :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

BUMP, getting stoked, hoping the weather holds for another week or two 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

Ty1

Oregon

Post by Ty1 »

I have just moved to Seattle and am in Hood River right now. Let me know how the coast goes. I want to head down there on my next trip to Oregon. Can you guys recommend kiting locations on the Coast.

Ty