new board

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
speedy

new board

Post by speedy »

looking for feedback on a new board. I reeaallyyy loved my Litewave 125, and want to replace it with a similar board. Has anyone used a slingshot sx 122 or misfit?. Their reviews look good. What about the Zen 129? I'm not looking to do super tricks, just wave/chop riding and jumps(so far). All feedback is most appreciated. P.S. I am a lightweight, so I don't want a big board.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Speedy,

Though I'm still new to kiting and windsurfing keeps pulling me away, I've really been loving my Zen 129. I'm about 195-200 lbs but the Zen offers great pop, forgiving flex for hard landings and it slides or hops around to switch very easily. I rode a bunch of different TTs in Peru this year, and the Zen I own now compared very well against my favorite board there. The new footpads are incredibly soft and comfy as well; I couldn't imagine going back to the old, hard pads. You are welcome to try my Zen anytime.
Poultry in motion
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The short mako might be a good board for you. The 150 is great for powered up kiting, but might be on the long side. if you can find one to demo, it would be worth it.

Unless you are doing wakestyle stuff, a bit of length allows you to do powered turns & carves and provides a great jumping platform. Most of the mako's apeal is that concave eats up chop, & allows you to edge really hard which is a huge benefit in stronger wind. The harder that you can hold an edge, the bigger you can jump.

Each rider has a particular feel that they like, so look for a board tht has the tendancies that you want, ie, the better you know what riding style you like, the easier it is to narrow down your choice. So saying, most boards are good nowdays, it just depends on how you want to ride.
Its all about the adventure and stoke!
Martin

Post by Martin »

:D hi speedy,
you are welcome to try my Zen 129 x 39 tomorrow since I hear that you will be out this way!
at 170#, I love it but bonnie at 120#+?? tried it and wants one so it seems to work well for a lot of riders.
it does everything I could want from a board plus it has the "cushiest" pads!
pop,pop,pop, it is all about pop!