Sail Question

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: sail question

Post by more force 4 »

[quote="UnusuallyLargeRobin The sail makers put those specs on the sails so you don't end up with this discussion. They are not "guidelines", they are THE proper rigging instructions for that sail as specified, [/quote]

I beg to differ with your disagreement, ULR! Yes, if the printed instructions are right, they should be a close approximation of good. But I have a HSM Superfreak which says it wants a 35 cm extension (which seemed extreme for a small sail to start with). It actually rigs with 5-10 cm extension, on the HSM Hotstick RDM mast of the correct size. THe wrong numbers are printed on both the sail and the sailbag. This error isn't limited to HotSails either; I've talked to half a dozen people that have found the same thing, with different brands.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

how dare you compare your hippie bedsheet sail to a NP precision instrument! :lol:
windsurf247

sail rigging

Post by windsurf247 »

I didn't say "ignore" the sail specs. I said they are intended to be used as a guideline, which is exactly what the sail designers say as well.

I agree, a beginner isn't going to know how a sail should "feel", but they can learn pretty quick what a properly rigged sail should look like by learning the visual clues.

You can use a tape measure to get your rig set up initially, but you'll ultimately be tuning it by how it looks and feels. I've rigged lots of sails according to the "specs" and they weren't even close :? And I'm not alone.

The bottom line is you need to figure out a system that works for you. Get to know your sail, how it looks, how it feels, how to tune it, etc. Once it feels good, mark or record your settings for boom length, boom height, mast extension, downhaul etc.

Good luck :D
UnusuallyLargeRobin

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

:D I was just preparing my more staid rebuttal of : "well I obviously should have said reputable sail manufacturers", but I think I like yours better Dave!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hippie Bedsheet!!! I'm OUTRAGED! as Ed Broadbent used to say (and was lampooned forever more by Air Farce etc.) Cummon BWD, RD, Winddoc, back me up here!

I believe the other offending mis-printed sail specs were on North, Neil Pryde, and Ezzy. Nyah, Nyah!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

just kidding of course - i love my own SF 5.3.. i even named her 'ragged glory'!

now an attempt to add something useful to this entertaining thread: some good rig tips
http://www.star-board.com/2009/pages/ne ... admore=458
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Still there, Nanmoo? Dave's link is great.
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I will check it out and hopefully hit up IV tomorrow and try some of the tips. I think I am on day 5 or 6 now... by the time summer rolls around I should be flying along.
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

definately get some feedback from some experienced sailors at the beach. I spent a couple of years hearing " not enough downhaul" . until one day after sailing and fighting my rig. I got back on the beach, gave it another inch of downhaul and was pleasantly amazed at the difference in stability of the rig.
Hippie bedsheets? ewwwww, too much dna.
like a duck to water