windstats in August!!!!!

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

viennaguy

windstats in August!!!!!

Post by viennaguy »

Hi guys!
i am from vienna and i am planning a trip to vancouver island in august!
so i read about nitinat lake and it sounds not so bad for freestyle action,
can you tell me when and where is the best chance to get on the water!?

thanks for your support greetings from vienna

another question: can anybody give me some advice also for squamish?
averange wind? sail size?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

In August, anytime the weather is predominantly sunny over the south Island will create wind at the Nat. I don't think there are any single better days, although early August is probably a better bet than late August. August is not so reliable as June or July and tends to have a bit lower average windspeed, but I suspect something like half or more days are sailable. Especially for freestylers that just want to pump on to a plane for a few seconds then immediately turn around again for no good reason :wink:

If you are staying for a week or so you will have the option of moving campsites if you don't get a good one at first - it can be very crowded, but is still a wonderful place regardless. And uncrowded is always only a 10 minute walk or sail upwind! Its a magnificent place to experience, I think especially for someone from Europe.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Viennaguy,

Squamish will offer conditions ranging from 5.0-7.5 conditions in August. A 100 L freestyle board with a 5.8 will get you out most days. The water state changes considerably with the tide, so you may have glassy water in the river mouth for sliding freestyle or washboard chop. Further outside you can get fun little ramps for jumps. The water at Squamish is still cold in August, so wear at least a 4mm suit. The scenery is beautiful at Squamish, but the actual sailing (and water temp!) is better at Nitinat.

Like MF4 wrote, you are likely to have better wind in the first half of August, so do your wind chasing then if you can. We can give you more detailed info if you need.
Poultry in motion
viennaguy

Post by viennaguy »

thanks for your fast replies!!!! :D

thanks for offering me more info ,for sure i will take you up on it :lol:

rene
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Also check log stats for the last few years. All though as guys said first half of August is your best bet.

Cheers
Cancer must die!
eastside

Post by eastside »

vienna guy, I know you vienna guys like to sail under bridges so you may be about 30 years too early for the bridge between Vancouver Island and the mainland. I think you would find Nitinat Lake, quite the wilderness experience though.
rkwave

windstats in August!!!!!

Post by rkwave »

I have a nitinat forecast site.

I usually post forecasts twice a week during the summer

http://www.rkwave.ca

click on "Nitinat and West Coast Weather"
for more info on Nitinat click on "About Nitinat"

Randy K.
RKWAVE
viennaguy

Post by viennaguy »

Thanks Randy!!!!!

For sure i will use it .

just an information:
now also our saison started.6-10 degrees 25-40 knots the whole week and icefree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have an good one :D