Best vehicle for Nitinaht logging roads.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Best vehicle for Nitinaht logging roads.

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hi all,

My name is Kevin. For those who don't remember me, I windsurfed and kited on and off on the island from 1999-2005. I ran Wind Adventures windsurfing school and provided private lessons and started a program for people living with disabilities. After living in Halifax, Africa, Toronto, and Asia, I have come back to the island. I am presently teaching at Nitinaht! I'm having a superb time. The community is really wonderful, the school amazing and of course......the wilderness blowing my mind. I'm enjoying new fly fishing gear, and a new mountain bike.

On the downside, my car is taking a shit-kicking! It's being destroyed by the roads. Tonight I took the Youbou logging road. It took 2:20 minutes to get her. I was pooped upon arrival. I was taking one of the local teacher's assistants who does not have a car or truck, out to get dental work done for her and her kids. While nice to be needed, that road is a killer on one's car!!!

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I'm thinking of a Toyota landcruiser or similar.....

Open to suggestions and any other comments.

Peace,

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
colin

Post by colin »

Jacked up Toyota Tundra with 40s on it and a supercharger.
kite+waves=!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Welcome back Kevin!

Licensed ATV with a cab (gator type), 12 pass Bluebird school bus or one of them amphibian ultralites would work great.....other than that start schmoozing your local MLA's for pavement of the "Alberni Circle Route" to boost the area's economy :roll:
GWIND

Post by GWIND »

A grader. the road is the worst it's ever been ( Youbou fire chief )
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
AC

Look in the cheep cars for sale

Post by AC »

and see if you can find a cheep truck for sale.
just picked a Chevy S-10 2005 crew cab 4+4 short box though.
bought it for 1500.
Drive it till it dies.
eastside

Post by eastside »

I had an old westphalia which has some kind of independent rear suspension. It worked great as does my fj cruiser. It has a softer suspension which seems to float through the pot holes. I don't like the pick up trucks rear suspensions as I find they bounce all over the place. Landcruiser or 4 runner ( a friend had one of these) would probably be good. I hope you can get some of the kids out on the water. By the way, what happened to the gear program for the kids?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

since '93 ive been using various nissan pickups with great success. one trip the hatch on my canopy shook off but the trucks have been unstoppable.
eric

Post by eric »

I always thought a late 70's camaro/firebird with open headers would be fun. cheap to buy, easy to get parts for.
j_dog
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by j_dog »

Hey Kev,
I met you out east in Halifax(Stoney Beach - kiteboarding) back in '05 when I was there for work for one summer. Nice to know that you are back out West.

Well, I have had the same conundrum for a while regarding a Nitinat vehicle.

My experience:
1) I have taken a '96 civic back and forth many times....but the car is now hurting pretty bad.
2) I had a '77 VW Westy I took back an forth on the trail, I ripped off my bumper and destroyed my muffler on one trip, but on the good side the suspension was soft enough for the pot holes. But don't get an old VW unless you like fixing it yourself.
3) I tried a rental van a couple of times....drove the S**t out of it, but always seemed to get a flat tire on the trail. :wink:

I finally decided I needed something proven and solid so I bought an '85 Diesel Landcruiser, 60 Series, rust on the wheel wells came standard that year! I guess I will see how it turns out.

Hope to see ya soon when I get back to Vic this summer,
Cheers J.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I'll vouch for a Toyota too. I have a '93 4runner and drive a lot of gravel roads. Cushy coil suspension, quiet and VERY reliable. I have and would recommend the 2.4 litre 4 cylinder (1984-95). It has plenty of power (with the manual trans), gets great fuel economy (9 to 11 L/100 km) and is extremely reliable. I changed the stock 225 tires for 31's and the ride was noticeably smoother (25 psi), with reduced possibility of flats. For Nat roads get tires with as many plys as possible! Even though it is IFS it doesn't get knocked out of alignment easily (unlike my work's GM 1/2 ton pickups!). I can fit all my w-surf gear in the back (2 boards angled over the front seats).

The newer 2.7L 4cyl and 3.4L V6 models have lots of power and are reliable. I'd avoid the 3.0 L V6 models from the early 90's if possible.

My work also has FJ Cruisers for us to use. I love the ride - smooth but responsive. Traction control is handy on gravel roads. Easy wipe down interior. I don't mind the blind spot, but some do. Eastside has a great rack setup on his.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

No one mentioned Suburu wagons yet? Windsurfish's has something like 450,000, and a whole bunch of them on the Nat road, its the eveready bunny. My mom has a Legacy from the early 90s, better looks but just as rugged I think (hers only has about 30,000 k though!)

A friend has a Toyota Cruiser right hand drive diesel, excellent mileage, but at least on his, the ride isn't smoothed very much. His is tricked out with lift kit, big tires, diff locks and snorkel, I think the suspension was considerably beefed up. I know we hit a waterbar last year at about 35 klicks, slammed us around and we fully expected busted undercarriage but it was fine. It would do the Nat road even ungraded for a year without problem, but the ride would be harsh and it would float around a bit.

I'm hoping my Sprinter is up to the road this year - but it isn't the vehicle I'd choose if I lived out there (although for another $80K you can get 4x4!)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Ford Ranger 2.3L 4-banger, Good on gas, Small size to drive, WAAYYY cheaper than a comparable Toyota Rust Bucket PLUS - Cheap parts, many parts from 84- right up until present day are interchangeable among years. Just not practical for hauling a family.

Sadly the smart car won't like the road, and the Golf is not feeling well, so we are looking for a new vehicle that will make the Nat trip this summer. Its between a Jetta TDI wagon, A4 Avant, or a good ole' FWD 4Banger Ford Escape. Is the $10k+ premium really worth it for the first two? Hmmmmmmm....
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

I was going up every weekend on my 08 ford ranger 4 banger.It can take a beating and cheap on gas.I think any kind of truck whould be good really. :P :P :P
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tho my Ford Clubwagon was great on that road I would always recommend to stay away from Ford and pay the extra coin!!! The new parts aren't any cheaper and most dealers are thieves :evil: But even my Suburban 4x4 got so bashed with its huge tires I felt anguish taking it in there. The best was my old Dodge Tradesman with deflated Sears touring tires, it was so heavy and the tires so forgiving I never felt much but the dust filled the back of my bed area which was nice :x

There is no vehicle that will stand up to the beating if you:

-drive too fast (or too slow, it seems you just hit every pothole instead of every 2nd),
-have the tires fully inflated,
-haven't greased the carriage really well (dry ball joints will go in one bad trip!!)
-have alu beauty rims
-don't have a tranny cooler (the constant shifting really heats things up)
-keep your air filter super clean
-have a tired engine/tranny mount as it will transmit the shocks to the cams/cranks and cause leaks or timing problems

To avoid flats use "E" rated tires, never once got a flat! and don't fishtail at the edge of the road where you will lose your sidewall, or drive in the 'fines' on the edge, be the first couple of vehicles on freshly graded road (all the sharp rocks are now turned and face nicely point up) ....but this will be rare since there is no longer any grading going on :idea:

I suppose at some time you need to re-evaluate your goals. If it's to sail/kite, there are other places closer, maybe further but with a paved road and better for wind/waves. If it's to get away from the world and live in paradise....mostly alone and in the rain.... take the commuter bus/van once a week to get supplies, or if it's to camp rent a van with others then stay longer than a day :roll: to make it worth the vehicle beating.

Yes, JL the Unimog would handle that road but you cannot get parts for 'em. :idea:
Last edited by KUS on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.