New to KiteBoarding, Looking for some area contacts

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Bromeus

New to KiteBoarding, Looking for some area contacts

Post by Bromeus »

Hey all...

I just discovered kiteboarding, and what a riot, however I am about as inexperienced as it gets. I took lessons down in La Ventana, Mexico in February, have a kite and want to get riding here.

I do not feel comfortable heading out alone yet so I am hoping to find some people around the Victoria and Duncan area that I could head out with, maybe get some help with launching and advice, and try to reduce the likelyhood of me killing myself on my first ride.

I am also really interested in Cowichan Bay as it is close and well protected so I am wondering if anyone else has done the Bay.

Thanks and looking forward to getting out there.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Hey bromeus i kite around victoria and nitnaht whenever its good.I dont know what cow bay is like never kited ther.just send me a p.m when u can kite ttyl .Ryan
Bromeus

Great

Post by Bromeus »

Thanks Ryan. I appreciate it. They kite's in Van and I am hoping to get it this weekend. Need a life jacket or impact vest too.

What sort of wetsuit do you use? How think? Also what are the good spots for a complete newb? Easy access, not too many rocks etc.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

I use a 4/3wetsuit suit for spring and summer. Newbie spots are Gordons beach in sooke Nitnaht lake and island view not to many rocks to worry about. 8) TTYL
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Good Day,

So if your new to kiteboarding and looking for spots on the island there are a few that are more friendly than others. Island View in Victoria and Nitinaht Lake (although be prepared for rough roads) are the two that come immediately to mind. Long Beach on a NW would probably be ok too due to large beaches, however typically there is swell/waves. Comox is another spot for flat water, small area to sail so can get crowded quickly but an option. As for Cow Bay I have heard of ppl sailing there, more windsurfing that kiting I think but....

Nitinaht in the summer is the best bet though for learning, consistant wind, mild chop and good people. If you are really friendly, watch the beach edicate, how things work...then practice them. Get to know the "locals" they might even rescue you should you get into trouble. Most times these ppl do it out the the kindness of their hearts, but everything costs money so should that happen, return the favor somehow, Karma.

Cheers, be safe and have fun
KSD out
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Bromeus

Cheers

Post by Bromeus »

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I met a couple in La Ventana that teach at Nitnat in the summers so I am planning to head up there, and will probably bring some friends to introduce to the sport.
Cow Bay has great afternoon thermals for sailing (boats, not boards) and is well protected so I thought it would be a good spot.
Does anyone have experience at Cow Bay?
A little wind kindles; much puts out the fire.
George Herbert
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

cow bay has a lot of old piers and industrial development downwind.. i thought of kiting there when i lived in cow bay aboot 9 years ago but decided it was more of an advanced spot. you definitely want to be able to stay upwind. it does get a consistent 12-15 kts on summer days though, so more of a big kite spot. lots of boat traffic.
Bromeus

Cow Bay

Post by Bromeus »

Perfect Dave, thanks. I'll put it on the back burner for a bit. Have an 11m kite.
George Herbert
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

ya i just had a 9m back in the day.
consider Cowichan lake for a nice summer breeze, espec if you have someone to follow you in a boat or just along shore with a car..you can do a massive downwinder.
Chiclets

Post by Chiclets »

Hi Bromeus, I've taken some lessons over the last couple of years, but haven't had too much time on the water. I don't feel too comfortable heading out on my own either. I try to kite at IV when the conditions are good and would like to head to nitnaht more often this summer. Just PM me or call me on my cell 250-888-5785 if you want to go out some time. Rick
Bromeus

Perfect

Post by Bromeus »

Sounds great Rick. I'll do that.

Where is the best place in Victoria to get gear? I need a a few things.
George Herbert
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Bromeus

awesome

Post by Bromeus »

how about second best then...
George Herbert
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
Bromeus

uhuh

Post by Bromeus »

any retail stores in town???
George Herbert