New to KiteBoarding, Looking for some area contacts

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Use to be the Bosn's locker, but the last time I went there ( April 08 ) there wasn't much left for kite surfing other than a couple of harness, a 5th line set up and some small accessories.
Is there anyone that knows if Paul is still on the island?

There is a surf shop downtown (Broad Street) that sells Ocean Rodeo Dry suits and maybe other Ocean Rodeo stuff? (Not sure, I never went back and will never buy there anymore).

The place I prefer to go is at AirtimeBoardSport in Vancouver, the guy name is Philippe, I have always been happy buying there, good advice, good vibes from the guy. He carries Ocean Rodeo, North, Naish, Cabrhina, Ozone and some others... He can also send the stuff by the mail.

There is also Mark Sprungmann in Victoria that can get you any Best Kiteboarding stuff, good guy to and like Philippe he is very professional and gives you good advices, explain you everything on the gear you buy, different set up etc...

There might be more and I am not sure if there is a new kiteboarding shop in town now, but I would like to know if there is one:)

What is you level anyway? Can you get on the board more than 3-4 seconds? If so and your next step is to learn to go upwind, I have a board to lend you (My knee is crap for at least 3 more weeks anyway). Can't wait to see the smile on your face after seeing you not being able to get back downwind with it!!!
AC

AC

Post by AC »

U should come out for a day of lessons at nitnaht.
With all of the experience you have i should be able to get you going upwind in 1 day""
TTYL
AC
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

There is a retail outlet in Nitinaht at the store. This year stock not in but lots of accesories, boards and wicked deals on last years and older kites
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I was in Bosuns the other day and they had a bunch of kites kicking around, plus lots of accesories. They list some of their stuff here: http://www.thebosunslocker.com/clearance-sale But that just covers the clearance items.

Dale - does the store have windsurfing sails and boards too? (wondering if they might have some 'last year' deals as well.

Thanks!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

What is you level anyway? Can you get on the board more than 3-4 seconds? If so and your next step is to learn to go upwind, I have a board to lend you (My knee is crap for at least 3 more weeks anyway). Can't wait to see the smile on your face after seeing you not being able to get back downwind with it!!!
Teabag,
What kind of board is it?
I'm as noob as they get, and this sounds like exactly what I need.
Sandy Beach

Nitinat store

Post by Sandy Beach »

Nanmoo,

I did see some kiting and w/s gear (small selection of kiteboards, kites, masts, harnesses, booties, etc) plus accessories at the Nitinat store last week when we did a daytrip, and a few clearance items. Seems funny to have to go all the way to Nitinat to buy gear, but, I suppose it's good if you're already there to have access to equipment.

btw, I think I noticed some of last season's candy (which my kids dream about all winter) still there too :)
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

LOL there is some windsurfing gear there left over from last year, which actually is part of KA sails through KUS. There are a mast or two and other accessories, but no boards, you would have to check in with KUS on that, I am sure that he could hook you up. As for the candy, you would be amazed actually at how much that store does in sales in the candy department, not likely it is last years lol but cannot say for sure ; >

What type of Kiteboarding equipement are you looking for exactly...
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

The "surf" shop I was talking about is coastline,

http://www.coastlinesurf.com/

And Johnny the board is the Door/Spleene from Flysurfer, but I am pretty sure that other company do similar or better upwind boards by now. The first day and a half I rode it I had to body drag back downwind every 6 back and forth since my board skills sucked so much!!! At the end of the second day I kind of figured out how to get downwind with it.

But I don't believe that it is worth for you to buy since you'll gain a lot more skills with another kind of board, I am not sure if it is called:
concave bottom ??? or asymmetrical concave ??? but it is those that are concave on the heel and toe side lengthwise. If anyone knows what it is call please let me know so I know what I am looking for my next board.
They don't go upwind as much as the door but they still go upwind fairly easy, the ride feeling is so much more fun, you don't feel the chop, way easier to turn etc...

I now realise that yes the door helped me lots (it will help you to) for the first 3 or 4 upwind sessions, but the following 5-6 sessions after I did not progress much (if at all) on turning, riding when its choppy etc...
That is why I don’t mind sharing it, I rather that the board is helping another "no board skills" guy then sitting at home.

By far your best bet is to take lessons, the instructor will explain you all the differences and probably give you a better board for you to learn on.