Harness Advice

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
JohnnyUtah

Harness Advice

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Just had a 2-day lesson at 'Nat, and am shopping for my first set of gear.

I learned with a seat harness, but everyone I see uses a waist. As a noob, what should I be looking for?

If anyone's looking to sell, I need something for a 28-30" waist.
JL

Post by JL »

Last edited by JL on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
AC

:)

Post by AC »

Your instructor should have told you that seat harnesses are better for learning.
Waist harnesses tend to pull on the back ,when you are learning"
norona

Post by norona »

If you learned with Elevation then ask them to try a waist harness or the Dakine Shorts. I use both the Dakine Pyro Waist harness(love it) and the Dakine Nitrous Shorts (love'em too) I find the waist harness will get pulled up if not super tight or a good fit so find one that fits great. Most people do not talk about the shorts as they have not tried them. The nitrous shorts work very well and are very comfortable. Nice to have both to switch it up but try both before you buy. You can use your seat harness until then as they work great they just are obtrusive for walking in..
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Sweet! Thanks, all.
Bromeus

Post by Bromeus »

I just bought a harness this week in a little shop in Kits, sorry I don't remember the name (found it. Airtime Board Sports) but the guys there were super helpful.
I was told the harness a la seat is good for learning but you will outgrow it quickly and will want a waist harness sooner than later. I bought a waist harness, but haven't been out yet with it. I tried 4 on and eventually went with the Naish KL Pro because it fit the best. two of them rubbed the bottom of my rib cage. I think trying them on before you buy, and taking weight on them is the best thing you can do before you try one. They will all fit different people differently I am told and comfort is pretty key.
I am a newb so don't take this as the gospel, but that's what I think.
A little wind kindles; much puts out the fire.
George Herbert